I swapped out my P90's for Reilander P90's and I am a happy camper!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by popinvasion, Feb 18, 2012.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Mike Reilander is the man. I love his pickups. I am a big fan of his single coil telecaster pups-they are my favorite telecaster pickups.

I just got a few P90's from him. He is a a great pickup winder.

He is super helpful and affordable. I am a novice when it comes to wiring and soldering and Mike always sets me up with a wiring harness including pots and caps. He makes things drop in, dead simple for me. I love that. Plus it also upgrades the pots and caps at the same time. Bonus!

Ok so I have two P90 guitars. Both gibson juniors.

The first one I originally swapped out for a Lollar P90.
    The second I kept the original.

I am a big fan of Gibson P90's. I feel like Gibson does P90's well and rarely do I want to swap them. The first junior with the Lollar was a sweet sounding rock guitar but it was too noisy so I replaced it with the Lollar. The Lollar I am a big fan of because it is nice and quiet and less noisy but it does seem very tame in comparison to the Gibson P90. I was never happy with the Lollar as I feel like it made the guitar just too mild mannered.

The second junior was sporting and original P90. I did not want to compromise the bark for another Lollar. But again this gibson P90 was a little bit noisy and hummy. I love the tone but I am annoyed especially with delay pedals and all the noise.

Enter the Reilander P90's.

The Reilander P90's imo are top dog P90's. They retain the Gibson Attitude but remove all the noise and hum. They are much quieter. They bark and they bite and they have a nice tight low end. These pups are nice and crisp and clear and really react well to volume knobs and attack. Really beautiful sounding pickups. I really like the classic more for rhythm and chord work. The Reilander classic use Alnico 2 magnets. These pickups are voiced very similar to the Gibson P90 but are just more robust and less noisy. Really well done pickups.

This is where it gets interesting. I use the one junior for a dedicated slide guitar. I generally do not want really aggressive pickups. Or really high gain pickups. I am more of a traditional kind of guy. But I am having a ton of fun with the Reilander P90 Grit. It has the same vibe as the classic but more throaty, grinding fun. It has been really magical with my slide playing as it just has so much sustain and meat. I really am surprised at my love for this pickup at the moment as again I am generally more of a purist but this is one fun pickup. It is not a super modern sounding pickup, it just sounds like a vintage gibson P90 that is hot. Again really nice sounding pickup that is not noisy. Really fun too. The grit has the alnico 5 magnet.

Mike Reilander does both Soapbar and Dogear. I am using the dog ears. The quality is top notch. Mike is great to deal with and like I said he makes the job easy by also selling/including the wiring harness if you want it.

I just found mike on day in the builders emporium. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1012380&highlight=reilander

The best part of it. These pickups are $55 each and $99 for a calibrated set. Not only are they my favorite P90's but they are so inexpensive that it makes upgrading all of my guitars a bargain. I hope to try out his humbuckers next as I have just had a great experience with his pickups. I have a telecaster project that I am working on where I might throw in a bucker at it. Anyway pickup swaps is great fun especially when it is affordable and you get great results.

2. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Wow, replaced a Lollar and it was an improvement? Cool -- sound like those are some great pickups!

Thanks for the writeup, glad to hear they've worked so well.

3. popinvasion

Well, for me yes. The lollars are nice but lack attitude.

4. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Nice write up. How much quieter would you say they are as compared to the Gibsons? Sounds interesting.

5. Mreilander

Mreilander Member

Thanks for the kind words :), I'm glad you like them!!

6. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I installed a set of grit P90's in my Gibby LP. They are RWRP so they are dead quiet when in the middle position, and they sound GREAT.

Another happy customer here.

7. c_mac

c_mac Member

I can't speak to the P90s but I love my over-wound Tele bridge pickup. Plus, the customer service was awesome.

8. popinvasion

It is dramatically more quiet. Not sure how to scale it but the reilander was a major improvement.

9. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

A Happy Camper?

Come on man!

10. SUBmariner

SUBmariner Member

Great review, thanks.

11. popinvasion

It just rolled off the tongue..

I should have said "STOKED!"

12. popinvasion

Thanks man

13. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Yeah- I was going to say your review is very very clear in explaining the differences and benefits of these particular pickups- nice job and thanks for posting.

Sounds like this guy has some serious talent- I get your enthusiasm also. The low noise with better tones sounds like a win/win absolutely as does the Alnico 5 being hot but still kind of Vintage- a nice tightrope to walk for a pickup IMO.

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Closer.

:p

15. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Nice review. Are you using the classic or the grit P90?

16. popinvasion

I have one of each.

17. Anthony Gring

Anthony Gring Silver Supporting Member

Hows his Strat pups ? Looking to replace what I have currently.

Thanks !

18. popinvasion

To be honest they look great, and I am sure they sound great but I am the wrong guy to ask as strats never were my thing.

19. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Which one do you prefer? Do you notice much difference? I am thinking about getting one for the bridge in my LP Jr

20. popinvasion

They both are great I prefer the classic for rhythm and the grit for leads and slide.