I think I am done with my Bogner Shiva

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 1973Marshall, Nov 21, 2018.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

After years with my silver back, early 2000s Shiva, playing live/recording with it, I think I am ready to move on.

The amp sounds fantastic but it's little odds and ends are kinda getting to me. After recently getting a Marshall Mini Jubilee my feelings really came to a head (no pun intended) when I realized:

1) FX loop - the biggest issue. Finding the special FX cable/adapter, etc drove me nuts and gave me stress on live gigs always worrying about having having it handy. Once effects were in the loop the amp simply lost a lot of that special sauce magic. This isn't an issue recording but definitely an issue live.

2) Dirty clean / pedal platform - it's just a lot of work to get the amp dialed in where the cleans breakup where I want them. It frankly doesn't work live, but it works for recording. It's THE most gorgeous clean ever. I prefer it over Fender but it's challenging to get it where I have the gain channel and clean channel where I want them live. Most of the time I use pedals into the clean channel when I want convenience.

3) Gain channel - it's amazing but I prefer it in studio more than live. Also, setting the gain to where I can get a fuzz in is kinda tough. However, dialed in right, it's magical.

4) Argh the fan

5) Heavy - as a quality amp should be, but it also means it's not fun to move it around.

Of course it has it's benefits:

1) Amazing tone live and in-studio

2) Works as a head or 2x12 (I have all the goodies)

3) Sounds amazing at low volumes but can crank as loud as I will ever need. Some may disagree, but it's been a godsend when I've needed to turn down but still sound good.

4) Versatile - it really sounds good in a variety of styles

My fear in moving on is that I might never find one like it again. I've played the 20th anniversary's and they just weren't for me. I've tried reverb models and similar era ones and mine just sounds how I like it to sound. OTOH, I have a vintage Marshall, the Mini Jubilee and a Fender amp to cover all this ground, and I feel the frustrations are issues that have loomed for a while now and the mini-Jube is so easy to get what I want and so portable that it got me thinking it's time.

The other thing that sent me over the edge was the Bogner Goldfinger. It really seemed to do everything I wished a Shiva would do but then again I only tried it 3-4 times at a shop.

Then again, maybe the Jubilee honeymoon just messed with my head.

What would you do?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. Northerner

Northerner Member

It’s just all that formaldehyde getting to you.

3. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Sounds like you need to trade in the long-time girlfriend you're too familiar with for a newer, more exciting model. Sell it.

Dannyz and 1973Marshall like this.
  4. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Same with mine, but took three years.
    Great amp but not for me.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

LOL!

Scrapperz likes this.
  6. draelyc

draelyc Member

Picking up a Series I Budda Superdrive 18 led me to have very similar thoughts about my silver chassis Shiva. That was a couple years ago and I’m still going back and forth between loving the Shiva and thinking I’ll sell it and move on. :dunno

7. DV52

DV52 Member

Nothing to feel bad about and certainly no explaining needed , unless for self therapy to justify "making a change" .

8. Ejay

Ejay Member

Amp,worked for years for you...why sell ot untill you are sure you have a better alternative?

9. goddot

goddot Member

Good job OP! Stick with a real marshall

10. blandy-rhoades

blandy-rhoades Member

I have a friend with a Shiva and he can’t sell it, maybe word is what you are saying. I agree about the clean, that head thru vintage 30s in a closeback is the best clean I’ve ever heard, period. His deal with that amp has kind of stopped me from shelling out for a Smallbox, don’t want to wind up in a similar spot with what I think almost the same amp.

11. melvins

melvins Member

I had a Shiva as well, that clean was frigging awesome sounding! But, I had issues getting it to breakup the way I wanted to as well.
    Mine was a combo, that thing was heavy and awkward to carry.

I’d say sell and go for the Goldfinger. Could always get another Shiva down the road.

12. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

Does anyone know if Reinhold used some kind of special potenciometer/bright cap combination on the Master Volume of the amp to make it sound that good at super low volumes?

13. Stormin

Stormin Tele's and Plexis Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

After spending 10 years with my silverback EL34 NR Shiva as my primary gigging amp, I finally sold it a year ago and moved on. I’m very happy with a JTM45 reissue and some pedals. I can handle multiple volume situations (bedroom to loud stages) a lot better and I haven’t missed the Shiva yet.

I always wanted the Shiva to be more Marshall-y on the OD channel and the clean channel was always too clean for me. The Marshall just does it best for me. Don’t fear the change...

14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I've got a 2003 Shiva that I love, but the FX loop is my pet peeve too. Was playing a gig once and a cable in the FX loop failed. Had no time to troubleshoot so I pulled everything out of the loop and just went guitar to amp. Suddenly the amp sounded and felt much better.

That said, I don't think i will ever sell it because it sounds so great, and you just can't get much for an old Shiva on the current market. I think it sounds better than the 20th Anniv. Ecstasy I had.

15. Lution

Lution Member

I’ve owned two silver back Shivas. A 6L6 and an EL34. Past tense. There was a reason why they both moved on. They’re just amps after all. No reason to think of them as anything else but that.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before

I’ve owned two. The compression eventually did me in. That amp was always so saturated and spongy/saggy - I couldn’t connect with it anymore.

Dannyz likes this.
  17. Dannyz

Dannyz Member

A bit off...
    @Stormin there's any pedal that can replicate the tone of your ex Shiva thru your JTM 45? Bogner Burnley, perhaps?

18. Stormin

Danny - when I ran my Shiva, I usually used a silver Klon in front of it to get the OD channel to sound more like a JCM800. With my JTM45s, I use a Barber Direct Drive to get the same gain levels. The mids are a bit different with the Marshall than the Bogner, but I’m very happy with what I have now.

The Shiva has this lower mid thing going on that’s a bit hard to replicate with a pedal. You might try a Bogner LaGrange or a Blue to see if you could get there.

cg and Dannyz like this.
  19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

Well this thread didn't help. Listed my Shiva. It's official.

Wow this is a big move for me.

JasonElGato, draelyc, melvins and 2 others like this.
  20. Stormin

Good for you. It’s okay, we’re here for you...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    1973Marshall likes this.