I think I blew something up

DarkAndy

For starters thanks in advance. I've been reading tgp for quite sometime now.Well for the last year I've been using a cabclone into an eleven rack for wicked awesome headphone tones. Tonight I unplugged the speaker cable at the amp instead of the speaker cab and spent a minute wondering why all I got was the sound of a motorboat and not guitar... And then silence. Smells like burning plastic. Is that a screen resistor? Nearest Mesa tech is about 4 hours from me.

I'm making the trek next weekend anyway but is there anyway I can tell if I burned out my transformers? I can't really afford to drive that much plus pay bench fees and a new tranny without being 100% sure. I know for sure I blew a fuse and one power tube. Is there anyway I can check for any other damage?

The amp is a stiletto duece II can I run that on two tubes to see if it still works. What's the best internets advice.

Otherwise can anyone recommend a tech in Edmonton AB? Instead of going all the way to Calgary with it?

Thanks!

Rod

Vibrato & String Bender on Overdrive
Gold Supporting Member
Probably just a screen grid resistor...

Trying to understand your post....
If you unplugged the speaker cable it should have been silent. If the amp was powered up with no speaker connected, it could have taken out the output transformer, power tubes, and/or various other power supply components.
It could also be that one power tube has a short ave drew enough current to pop the fuse, but if it stinks, it's likely mire than just a fuse that blew. I would not recommend attempting a DIY fix if you don't have some prior experience building or troubleshooting tube amplifiers. Even in a perfectly functioning amp, there are sometimes lethal voltages present throughout the circuit. In a damaged amp the risk is even greater because the regular path to ground may be compromised.
Probably best to take it to a tech. Hopefully it isn't too serious. You could remove the chassis and just look for burned components. If you see something, snap a pic and post it. Other members here can identify the components and possibly give you an idea of what has happened.

I am curious.... How does this headphone system connect to the amp? Was this system connected when you unplugged the speaker cable from the amp? IF this speaker cable was the feed for the headphone arrangement, then I am going to think that whatever happened was a coincidence because when the cable is removed from that speaker jack, there is a shorting tab that provides protection for the OT in that the shorting tab causes the OT to 'see' a short, which is a safe situation for a period of time. One does NOT want to disconnect that speaker cable from a cab or any other external arrangement and leave the cable plugged into the main speaker jack because that shows the OT an 'open' or infinite resistance.....and the OT does NOT want to see that.
IN any case, it is tech time.

DarkAndy

Head to cab clone. Slave out from stiletto to eleven rack for cab sim. I don't use the line out on the cab clone because the signal is too hot.

Normally when I finish playing I unplug the cabclone and plug in the speaker. Since I have three amps and one cab clone it seemed to be a foolproof way of ensuring I always have a load on the amp. I learned to never underestimate the power of a fool.

Instead of doing it right I plugged the cabclone into the speaker and not the head. So the amp saw no load for about 30 seconds. The slave out was still connected to the eleven rack so I could hear my amp die.

I decided to just say forget anything and take it to a tech it seems the safest option. Now I just need to find a great one here in Edmonton AB. Thanks to you guys for your assistance.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom