I think i blew up my amp using a Hot Plate

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Blue Tile Fever, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

I turned the dial from -16 to load while the amp was still on when it made a loud pop with a flash of light and turned off leaving a burning smell. I've since tried replacing the main fuse a few times with the Hot Plate now gone and the same thing happens, minus the smell. I've also tested the 6L6's and they appear to be dead according to my tube tester, but i'm not sure how accurate that is. Got a new set arriving in a few days, but should i even bother trying them or does it sound like i've done some serious damage to the amp, and if so what might be the problem? :cry:

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

Probably not *caused* by the hot plate, but maybe exacerbated by it. What you should do is take it to a tech now and let them figure out what's what and fix it before you waste any more fuses or tubes.

What kind of amp BTW?

3. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

It's a Randall RM50. So should i just return the tubes unused, or at least try them out?

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Walt's advice is good. Take it to a tech, and save the new tubes for when it's in good shape again. "Trying them out" may fry a new set of tubes.

Mike

5. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

On my Fender amp, one time a tube died and it also took out a screen grid resistor. I bet that's what happened here. Your tech will probably spot that right away b/c I bet it's smoked. You'll see the burnt carbon. Easy fix, he just has to replace the resistor and pop in the new tubes, bias them.
    Better than burning up a transformer. The smell of cooking wax is a much different smell.