I think i broke my amp , trying to determine how...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by changeling93305, May 30, 2015.

1. changeling93305

changeling93305 Member

I accidently plugged the speaker wire from an egnater tweaker head into the wrong jack in the avatar cabinet below it. The correct jack is an 8ohm load. The other one is a daisy chain jack that is designed to power a second cab. So one is an input and one is more of an output.

I did this for about 2 months before the amp started acting up. I am trying to determine if i damaged my amp or my speakers. What do you all think?

It sounds normal most of the time but sometimes i get a surge where it get's a little louder and harsher and thinner momentarily. Almost like i just plugged in a bad compression pedal where the sound stretches and the volume becomes irregular.

Egnater heads are finicky. They sound good but are not durable. I think it is the head that is damaged. I do not have another head to try this cab out so i am hoping the speakers are not damaged. Is that even possible?

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

A daisy chain connection on a speaker cab should just be 2 jacks wired in parallel. Plugging into the wrong one should not harm an amp.

3. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

The jacks on the Avatar cab are typically wired in parallel, meaning you can plug your head into either.

4. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

Yeah, something else is wrong. What jack you plug into is irrelevant.

5. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Try a tube change, as it's been stated the jacks are wired in parallel so both are inputs (and outputs to daisychain).

6. changeling93305

changeling93305 Member

Thank you for the replies, I have decided it could have been another problem , i previously used a voltage regulator for that amp. I moved the cab to the other room that does not have one. I have old wiring in my house. I will go back to using one in the future. May try a tube swap on the amp...I have had problems with tweaker heads before... once i accidently left one on plugged into a guitar for about 10 hours.. and it died. They fixed it under warranty. Once i bought one in the mail and the seller claimed it worked, it came damaged and egnater fixed it and said it had a bad cap. This one has no warranty so i am on my own. I do have extra tubes so i am gonna give that a try.

It's not shot or dead, just intermitedly has a small surge in volume where it gets louder thinner and harsher for a few notes then goes back to normal. It's the kind of thing you can overlook or question initially.

7. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

What power tubes does it use?

How are they biased? Cathode bias? adjustable fixed bias? non-adjustable fixed bias?

Are any power tubes red plating? How old are the power tubes? Are they matched?

8. changeling93305

changeling93305 Member

6v6 swappable, non adjusting, and they are not that old. And yes they are matched. i will update when this whole thing is sorted out.