I think I finally found my "grail" amp tone (Vibro King)

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I have always wanted to try one, never had the chance. One of my local stores has a used one at a pretty good price.

I plugged in for 15/20 or so minutes and the amp just sounded amazing without any pedals. Great reverb, sparkling high end. Enough headroom at 3.5 with just the slightest touch of breakup. Could this be the one???

I truly think if I buy this amp I will never need another Fender again.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
They're good. Zinky design if I'm not mistaken. The Rockett pedals guys were using one to show off their pedals at the guitar show when I met them, back in 2010 I think. The Vibro King and Tone Master, both great amps. I'd love to have a Vibro King some day.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
They're good. Zinky design if I'm not mistaken. The Rockett pedals guys were using one to show off their pedals at the guitar show when I met them, back in 2010 I think. The Vibro King and Tone Master, both great amps. I'd love to have a Vibro King some day.
I wish Fender would take some clues from this design and apply it to some smaller and less expensive products for the middle man. It seems they either put out really expensive CS amps like the TM and VK or they're doing mass produced MIM reissues. It's either $899 or $3k! LOL

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have a VK and it was a great amp but it was too heavy for my back because it's transformers are huge. It can get loud but there is a cool trick to getting overdriven sounds at low volumes. If you turn the tone controls all the way down there is no sound, then turn them up just a little and you can get an overdriven sound at low volumes.

Ogre

Besides being heavy, I could not get a really clean tone out of the one I had. So, off it went.

19jmm68

I just picked up a used blonde.....late 90's. Always wanted one. I have been grinning since it arrived 2 weeks ago. Nothing sounds better with a strat than the king's reverb.
I added a trio of jensen neo's in place of the blue frame emi's. Tighter bass and even more headroom....perfect fit,

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a used blonde.....late 90's. Always wanted one. I have been grinning since it arrived 2 weeks ago. Nothing sounds better with a strat than the king's reverb.
I added a trio of jensen neo's in place of the blue frame emi's. Tighter bass and even more headroom....perfect fit,
Can you tell me how much? PM me if you don't want to write in this thread. :aok

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I found out that the Vibro King is my dream amp a few years ago but I still haven't had the right funds at the right time yet.

motokev

The Vibro King is my favorite fender amp. I've never owned one, but played one many times. Came close to buying one, but change my mind. Same with the JCM 800, love the amp, but never owned one.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
Killer amp- one of the very best.

Serious weight and I always hated the way the weight was primarily on one side- made it seem even heavier than it was.

Maybe someday I'll have another.....

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
There was a push several years back to get a version released as a head with 4/8ohm taps, but Fender didn't get the message. Different speakers definitely would effect apparent headroom, those 10"s add plenty of coloration when they're pushed.

matchless

Gold Supporting Member
Adding a 4 ohm ,2-12 cab really makes for a dirty blues/rock machine.not your typical fender-this amp was not made for extended cleans. Yes,it is super reverb hard to move around except heavier.

gmann

All the ones I've heard have sounded great. The 1st time I picked one up decided it for me. That's the reason I got rid of my Super Reverb, too darn heavy.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ I am about to buy a folding hand truck for my current combo, so weight won't be an issue really. Plus I only gig once or twice a month, I can deal with it for those special occasions.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
I tried to get my Vibro King to sound like a Super Reverb...eventually sold the VK and got an old Super Reverb and now I'm happy :)

Trending Topics