I think I just ended (at least for now!) my constant gearswapping/tone chasing

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
And the thing that sucks is that the answer (for me) was vintage JBL D120f speakers.

I've spent more time searching for different tones than I can even quantify, as well $$$. My ultimate goal has been that LZ 'How The West Was Won' tone, but recently I've re-discovered The Allman Bros. at Fillmore too. Dickey's tone on the One Way Out solo just floors me every time I hear it.

I've been running an old Tokai Love Rock with (I think) a Brandonwound PAF in the bridge and an SD Whole Lotta Humbucker in the neck, 50's wiring, push-pull to throw it out of phase (which is cool, but I rarely use it), into a Fargen Mighty Plex with a couple of different 2x12's (one open, one closed).

Awhile back I picked up an unmolested, still working D120f, and had it in the open back cab with a Scumback H75PVC. The tone was good, but just not great.

I picked up a second D120f here on the boards and installed it today. It's re-coned, but it still sounds the way it should. Plugged in, cranked it, and WOW! That's the tone.

Clear, fat, full...everything.

I had even put my Fargen up for trade thinking it wouldn't get me where I wanted to be, but now I know that's not true. (Still would like to try a 100 watt Marshall, but for now, I'm happy.)

And they (the JBL's) aren't just clean speakers--they definitely overdrive as well. Just an amazing sound--if you ever get the chance to try them, you'll know what I mean. Now if I can only find 2 more to fill a 4x12...

Trending Topics