I think I may have damaged my amplifier---see what you think

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by c2dzmm, Feb 8, 2008.

1. c2dzmm

c2dzmm Member

I accidentally hooked up my 50 watter the other day without plugging the cord running from the speaker cab to the head. I strummed the guitar and tried to turn knobs to figure out the problem of why no sound was coming out of the speakers. I then turn the standby switch off and tried hooking up different guitars and cords. I may have turned the standby on and off 3 or 4 times trying to figure out th problem. I finally figured out that there was no cord running from the head to the cab. When I hooked the cable up and turned the amp back on, the power light started flickering. It eventually became normal after about 5 to 10 seconds of flickering. I do not remember looking at the tubes to much before while the amp was on, but the tubes are glowing blue. The amp also has a constant hiss/buzz even when the volume is at 0. I sure hope I didn't damage something significant, but ???

2. phyrexia

phyrexia Member

Do you have another set of power tubes you can try out with the amp?

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. You could have smoked your transformer unfortunately. I have heard of a number of people doing just what you did and it turned out bad (transformer) If I were you, I wouldn't touch it and bring it to your amp guy and let him check it out. The damage is probably done but I don't know if continuing to turn it on and off and changing tubes will further damage it worse.

Good luck buddy. I hope it's just a blown tube or something similar and not an expensive repair.

Damn...
    Bill

4. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Unfortunately, there is a very good chance it's the transformer.

:(

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

This must be a pretty common mistake to make ... does it really do so much damage? If so, why don't amp makers put some kind of dummy load into the amp as standard in case you do forget to hook things up?

Sorry about your amp c2dzmm ...

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Some do. I know my Rivera is a dead short at the amp jack when nothings plugged in. Unfortunately that doesnt help if the cord is plugged into the amp but not the cab. Bob