I think i meen my neck reset on my 1953 gibson southern jumbo

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by The Crush 40, Apr 25, 2016.

1. The Crush 40

The Crush 40 Member

Does anyone know a qualified Luther that is able to do a neck reset on a 1953 vintage gibson southern jumbo acoustic guitar in the state of michigan, or Ohio
    I'm sure the neck need to be reset, but I'm a little leary on having just anyone do this type of repair
    Any suggestions Thanks

2. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

Elderly in Lansing. I had them do my 58 D-28, it was flawlessly done.

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Isn't Dan Erlewine's place in Ohio?

71strat likes this.
  4. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Out of curiosity, I have never had a guitar that needed a neck reset... how do you know it's needed? Do you have pics that illustrate it? I'd love to learn more about it.

5. The Crush 40

The Crush 40 Member

Thanks I had taken it to Elderly instruments over a year ago, the bridge was lifting or the top area around the bridge was crowning out?
    I'm not sure the proper term,
    But they fixed some missing and loose bracing inside the guitar and some cracks and did a great job!
    How much did it cost you roughly to have your neck reset?
    And I just started to notice that the neck looks like it needs to be reset I never had that much of a gap between the strings and fretboard starting around where strings meet the body!
    And I can see it when I look down the neck!

6. 71strat

71strat Member

Take it to Dan Erlewine in Athens.

He written books, invented jigs, and has been in business since the early 60s.

Dan is A #1.

HipKitty likes this.
  7. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I believe it was $350. This was in 2009

8. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

That is not the only factor to look at to determine the need for a neck set. For most of us, when the action gets high, the relief is properly adjusted and the saddle gets low, it is time to consider it. How high is your action at the 12 fret? How much saddle is protruding above the bridge? Is the relief properly adjusted? You can also do a straight edge test laying a straight edge lengthwise down the fretboard and seeing where it lines up with the bridge but it is just as easy to look at action and saddle remaining. If your guitar is playing like you want it to play or you can lower the saddle and get the action where you want it and leave some saddle showing (how much depends)? I'd wait on a neck set. And, for sure, check the relief. While adjusting relief is not the proper way to adjust action, a bow can cause the action to raise and adjusting the neck flatter can help lower the strings.

hunter

9. The Crush 40

The Crush 40 Member

10. The Crush 40

The Crush 40 Member

I checked it with a straight edge
    and the straghit edge does not sit flush on the bridge you can tell from the looks of it I think? to me anyway
    that the end of the neck is dipping in towards sound hole?

11. The Crush 40

The Crush 40 Member

Thanks for the info I just had some work done to it about a year-and-a-half ago in the bridge or area around the bridge was bowing out,
    I believe it was caused because it was missing some bracing inside the guitar, but in the past couple months I've noticed pretty large gap I'll try to post some pictures

12. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Dan is excellent, but there may be a longer wait time than Elderly. You should ask first. He gets a lot of work for such a small shop. Plus he has all of the StewMac development. I would feel comfortable with either.

13. ezra1

ezra1 Member

I would go with Elderly.

14. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

bryan galloup in big rapids.

@David Collins in ann arbor.

man, that region is like the mecca for serious vintage acoustic repairs.

15. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I'm no expert, but a straightedge placed along the fretboard should not hit the bridge much below the saddle. My Martin was so bad you could see just looking from the side that the top had caved in near the base of the fretboard....

I had my Martin neck reset by Martin.

16. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

ideally, that straightedge should rest on all the frets (straighten out the neck first) and line right up with the top of the wood of the bridge itself.