I think I need a 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. E., Mar 6, 2015.

1. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

Or 333. Something in that family.

I have tons of experience with Fendery guitars, and to a lesser extent Gretsches, but less so with the Gibson side. Had an Epiphone LP that I liked quite a bit, a Firebird I -really- wanted to like but didn't, and eons ago when I was a teen I played a borrowed '67 Melody Maker. But no semi-hollows. And I kinda want to remedy that.

I tend to like beefier necks on Fenders. While I'm totally down with Gibson, I'm not opposed to Epiphone either.

That Rich Robinson looks great, but pricey.

I play a lot of Mark Knopfler style stuff, some Floyd, some Petty. Dip into some shoegazer/ambient, and some old school country and roots/alt country too.

Playing through a new Supro Thunderbolt lately.

So... Suggestions? Thanks!

2. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Picked up an Epiphone ES 335 Pro for under $399 . It needed a fret leveling and a new nut ( the original one was plastic) which all together cost $75, but now it is a great guitar. Has alnico pickups w/ coil tapping. The pickups sound good and electronics are surprisingly good for an Epi. Probably the best deal on a guitar out there.

3. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

I was just looking at those. Seems like a cheap way to find out if I want one as much as I think I do, instead of the TGP Approved method of "Gosh, I dunno - spend $3000 or $5000 to see if I like it?" :)

4. mwittoesch

mwittoesch Member

+1 of the Epi Pro. I just got one in Ebony. I'm sure I'll get around to getting a good setup, but mine was totally playable out of the box. Fantastic build quality. The Pro was a limited production model, so they are getting harder to find new now.

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Ibanez has a reasonably prices hollow body much like a 335. The necks on them are chunky. I think they are AS 73? I could be mistaken. All in all, a nice guitar.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I gig with my Epi DOT. Just swapped tone caps for my own pref. the last previousI had got a new nut only after the plastic one failed. It was a big tone improvement.

It is a solid choice, even better for low $$.

7. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

I came in to post this.

I got mine last June. Put in a bone nut.

Great guitars, and the best value on the market.

8. Mr. E.

Mr. E. Member

Sounds like a pretty solid endorsement for the 335-PRO all around.

What's the thoughts on a Sheraton II by comparison? Is there $200 worth of difference, or not so much?

9. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I bought a new Epiphone Dot last November that rocks my world. So tempted to get another, or try one of the Epi 335 pros.

10. Crossroads

Crossroads Member

the 335 Pro is just an upgraded Dot, and for the same price. it even says Dot Pro on the label in the F hole. basically just added coil taps, binding, blocks and vintage style tuners (though I prefer the Grovers).

11. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Now you tell me.

So the necks are the same? That's actually the thing that really sold me on the Dot….the neck contour, width and finish just feel so right for my hand.

12. klatuu

klatuu Member

I picked up this 335 Pro last weekend and have been very pleased with it. I didn't want to invest Gibson money into a semi-hollow that won't get the use my solid bodies will, but I still wanted a serviceable instrument. The 335 Pro does that and more; it really plays very well and the fit and finish is equal to much more expensive guitars. I hated the big guard Epiphone uses and found this 5 layer "wide white"short guard on Ebay. It is specific to the Pro ( I guess the Dot version is somewhat different?) and it fits well, and looks great.
    [​IMG]

13. Super Reverb Swell

Super Reverb Swell Supporting Member

I just picked up a 333 and love it to pieces. If you can find one (there are plenty on ebay) it lives up to the hype.

14. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i need a 335 also

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

:aok

16. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

I had an Epiphone Wildkat for a little bit that looked cool as hell but it needed nut work which turned me off to it. But that might be something you would be interested in. I couldn't justify getting the work done on the one I had because I like my strat 10 times more than any other guitar I've ever tried

17. e???

e??? Member

Wow I'm in a pretty similair boat. Playing a new supro thunderbolt, used to fenders, looking for a epiphone es339 p90 pro... kinda creeps me out man. I'd say check out p90's before you pull the trigger. Beautiful, and a little closer to a fender sound than humbuckers. Still sparkly but warmer. The reason I'm looking for an es339 is because I've got some good opportunities to play some acoustic style gigs with a pianist. Pondered beefing up my acoustic rig, but realized I'd rather sound more jazzy than folky (works better with the material) so the semihollow... and if you're name is Mr. E cause your first name is Elliott, then I'm seriously creeped out. We'd have to guitar duel or something...

18. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

I'm going to be different and suggest you to skip Epi and just get a Gibson ES-335 dot.

Don't get me wrong though. I owned a few Epi in the past; they were great for the price but you will eventually want a Gibson anyway.

I actually went through in the past several 335 style guitars - Ibanez AS120, AS180, Yamaha SA2200, Heritage H535 to name a few. As mentioned countless of times in other threads and forums, they were excellent guitars and worth every penny but I was somehow never satisfied by them. (Is it a TGP effect? :D)

My Gibson ES-335 dot is just perfect. You should play before you buy though. As everything else, you will come across bad ones from time to time.

19. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I looked at Epi's, The Gibson "studio" 335's [2 knobs? WTF?], and the Ibanez.

The Ibanez was FAR better than the Epi, and the 2 knobs on the studio Gibson killed it for me. The Ibanez has a pretty typical Gibson style neck, and once I upgraded the pots/wires/caps [cheap to do, but it is a PITA doing this on ANY hollow body if you've never done it before] it sounded GREAT. I replaced the pickups with some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups and now it sounds AMAZING! I don't play it for every song or gig, but when I need that tone it is positively beautiful in sound and looks, plus it was very well made and affordable to boot!

20. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

If you can afford the 1800 or so to get a Gibson, I say do it. You'll be glad you did. If not, the EPI pro is great great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk