I think I need a Fuzz - advice needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devbro, Oct 20, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

My main rig is a PRS into an EL34 Shiva. I've got plenty of drive from a Zen, Timmy, and FD2 and I'd like to add a fuzz to the arsenal. Any suitable recommendations?

Oh, I' using an RMC3. I've heard certain fuzz pedals have issues with certain wah pedals.

Thanks guys.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Do you REEEEEALLY like/use fuzz a lot, or do want something that gets some cool fuzz tones and little more?

If you answer yes to the above - I'd check out a Hellbilly. It's fuzz tones aren't too over the top (if that's what you're looking for, I can't be much help), and it also does some killer treble booster stuff too. Running into the Timmy, it's amazing IMO. A great pedal that plays really well with it's neighbors, retains good note definition while chording, and works really great for lead boosting too - cuts like a hot knife thru Jello...

3. webb

webb Member

Check out the lovepedal karl fuzz. Goes from mild to wild with a twist of the
    volume knob. Listen to the clips on the lovepedal site.
    Have fun on your search
    webb

4. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks for the input.
    I listened to clips of both the Hellbilly and Lovepedal and I don't think it's quite what I'm after. Both seemed a little more like OD's

What's your opinion on the Analogman Sunface? It sounds pretty good on their site (clips are deceiving though).

Thanks...........

5. drolling

drolling Member

There are just too many great fuzzes out there now, and more arriving every week it would seem.

I've got a few old ones that I've been pretty happy with for years;

Fulltone Soulbender- really nails those early 'British Invasion' fuzztones, is true-bypass & works well w/a variety of amps and guitars.

Prescription Electronics Experience & FaceLift. One's silicon based, the other's germanium, both true-bypass. These pedals each have an octavia effect that can be mixed w/fuzz or used alone. Both versatile pedals, the Experience excells at those 'amp blowing up & dying' tones that can be so much fun at times.

If you like your wah BEFORE the fuzz (I do), you're gonna have problems, for sure. Either a horrible squealing sound or no audible wah effect at all. I've tried the recommended placement of a buffered pedal in the chain, but a more effective solution is Dave Fox' booster. It's basically a tiny pre-amp that fits in any standard wah and will cut thru' the thickest, nastiest fuzztones.

But like I said, there are so many new cool designs out there. I'd be very interested to hear what other players are using...

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I use two, Frantone's The Sweet and HomeBrew Electronics' UFO (Ultimate Fuzz Octave). The Sweet is the darker and louder of the two, with more bottom, while the UFO has the spit and sputter and brighter top. And together, The Sweet into UFO, it's sensational.

But I run them both before my Fulltone Clyde wah. I have found that the Clyde before either fuzz acts more as a volume pedal than a wah pedal. I also have a ToneFactor HellBilly, which I run after the Clyde, and this isn't an issue. However, I don't usually run the HellBilly for full on fuzz, and I keep its Gain knob more in a boost setting.

7. jordanL

jordanL Member

The Analogman sunface is a great fuzz. It's a very well made germanium fuzzface clone. very responsive to your volume knob, cleans up well. Works well into fender amps, something most FF's don't do. I don't use a wah so no help there. Dave Fox and Area 51 both make buffers that help with the wah fuzz interaction.

For a heavier thicker fuzz theres the tonebender type fuzzes. More sustain, but they don't clean up as much.

Fuzzes tend to be very individual-they're primitive circuits and the parts have alot of tolerance. Small tweaks can be quite noticable. finding the right fuzz is usually a fun hunt though.

8. onemind

onemind Member

Currently using a "Fuzz Factory" but it's almost too tweaky, I actually
    really miss my soulbender, and probably want to add a fulltone fuzz back to the mix very soon.

9. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

For a very reasonable price you could go with a D*A*M Mk II Tone Bender (mini or small version) in a Phase 90 sized box-cost is a lot less than the Mk II Professional. Contact David main at DAM and check out his website and custom shop page. I have a custom shop mini Tone Bender on the way and can't wait-the Tone Bender is the classic Jimmy Page and early Jeff Beck tone. Also good for later Beatles and Black Crowes tunes. Check out www.stompboxes.co.uk

10. b_rad

b_rad Member

We also offer a custom version of the Hellbilly called the Hellbilly Hot. It uses silicon BC108/9 tranny's and will definitely get into more full on fuzz territory than the standard Hellbilly which is sort of "fuzz lite". :)

11. devbro

devbro Member

Wow,
    The DAM MkII is a monster! Definately reminds me of Jimmy Page. So far I think the DAM or the Sunface are in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. Definately FUZZZZZZZZZ.

Anybody got either of these they want to unload :D Emial or PM me.

12. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

13. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If you Like the D*A*M MKII and seek Jimmy Page fuzz tones you should check out these clips of a Tone Bender MKII Professional clone.

www.throbak.com

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

there is only one fuzz pedal.
    univox superfuzz.
    i also have and enjoy the fuzz probe.
    certainly someone must be making an accurate clone of the superfuzz???
    well actually, i kinda dig my metasonix agonizer as well.
    however, the superfuzz needs no work to get the two sounds it's capable of. put the dials pretty well anywhere and choose whether U want the slider switch left or right. one is that peaky 60s style fuzz the other that scooped black sabbath/smashing pumpkins/mudhoney roar.
    unfrickinbelievable.
    someone please tell me that some boo-teek maker is cloning this fuzz.
    PLEASE!