I think I need compression in my odd acoustic signal chain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TeleBlack, Feb 23, 2015.

1. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Some of you will probably hate everything about this :)

I want to tame some some volume jumps in my sound. Chain is...

Acoustic w/ piezo pup >
    DOD FX17 wah >
    Micro Q-tron >
    Boss TU3 >
    Fishman Pro EQ Platinum preamp >
    Washburn Bad Dog Phaser >
    Boss EQ >
    Boss DD20 delay >
    1x12 Crate Palomino amp

Totally non-pure acoustic tone, but it works great for what we're doing.

So yeah, as you can imagine there are some volume variances that need taming. Small budget though. Quick reading says the Boss CS pedal and DynaComps are not acoustic friendly. Craigslist has some used rack comp/limiters for $100. Overkill? I could get another A/D box and use the Reaper DAW's compressor with a laptop. Still overkill?

Any suggestions?

2. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Optical compressor like the Mooer yellow comp works on my acoustic board.

3. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Just did a test run sending the signal thru my computer and using Reaper's compressor, then back out to the amp. Sounds pretty darn good to my ears. Might be a pain in the ass in a gig setting though.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Keeley GC2 is fantastic, very studio outboard comp-like and new at $199. If you can, compression is worth spending the extra dough on.

5. RickK

RickK Member

A Keeley will work great. you can pick up a used dbx 266 for cheap if you want to try rackmount. Can you describe when you have the volume jump problems?

6. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

I use a flanger and sometimes a q-tron at various points. With the saddle pickup the volume and general attack of the signal gets a bit out of control. Plus I'd like to shimmer up my general signal. Rack mount would be OK but I'm a bit intimidated by all the controls on it.

7. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

8. RickK

RickK Member

Yes - that would definitely be overkill - I haven't looked at the Composer in awhile - Uli should have left well enough alone with a solid design instead of packing more s**t into it.

9. RickK

RickK Member

For a rack mount unit - here is a general acoustic setup that works for a lot of playing styles:
    Set to auto mode instead of manual at/real
    Soft knee
    Ratio :between 2:1 and 4:1.
    Adjust threshold until when you are banging it out you are getting 6-10 dB of Gain reduction and 0 dB gain reduction when fingerpicking. This will smooth out your acoustic nicely for playing live.

Without trying it myself - you should be able to get the same effect from the Keely Compressor Pro, possibly also the GC-2 an 4 knob compressor.

Hope that helps!

10. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Thanks RickK. Last night I added my flanger to the chain. Ended up keeping it on the whole time. Very subtle setting but I love the color it added.

11. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

Oh crap! I just did a longwinded explanation of my acoustic rig for the Zappa show but my computer froze and I lost it
    Hate it when that happens...I'll try again later

12. ari

ari Member

I use my Xotic SP with my acoustic. Works great.

I'm not saying so b/c I have relationship w/ them. I don't use any of their drive pedals, which they are known for... I use SP b/c I love it.

ari