I Think I Need to Stop...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PedalFreak, Mar 3, 2008.

1. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

As my screen name (and those who know me here) says i am a Freak when it comes to pedals. I've owned several hundered over the past couple years. YET, I keep going back to almost the exact setup I had when I started "THE SEARCH": RC Booser > '69 > Keeley TS-808 > Zen> Mini Deja > AD-999> Replica > TTE.

I've spent THOUSANDS, lost hundereds. After I try some pedals that "I cant live without" that "I'll never sell," I end up selling them and going back to my original setup.

Few pedals I do end up hanging on to, switch them out now and then. But i end up back at that setup. It's been going back and forth with this for about 2 years. Think I need to stop and realize that is the setup that I love :AOK

How many more here have had this happen? And what setup do you keep going back to?

2. Dave

Dave Member

My biggest problem is OD/distortion pedals. I don't like most of them for one reason or another, but I consider them a necessary evil. There aren't many I haven't tried. After buying and selling a ton of them, the few that still work for me are the Barber Direct Drive, Timmy, Skreddy Screw Driver and Keeley Rat. There's a few others I like to hang onto for their unique sounds, but they mostly collect dust.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

I have to confess that I too am obsessed with OD/Distortion pedals. Luckily I have never found a fuzz pedal that I could stand so they are not a problem and I don't own one. However, back to the others...it has gotten to the point that the only remedy for my "sickness" was to buy a Mesa Triaxis Preamp. It affords me 90 different OD/Dist/Clean channels. If I can't find enough to satisfy my "problem" with this thing, I need to hang it up entirely and find a new hobby. BTW, the Triaxis is absolutely sick!!! I have been having sooooo much fun with it since I took delivery. To all of you with the same problem as myself and others in this thread, pick up a Triaxis!!! It will give you everything you need and then some. It's an incredible piece - seriously!!!! IT LOOKS SUPER COOL TOO!!!

[​IMG]

Bill

4. eru

eru Member

Despite starting to build a pedal collection, most of mine spend most of the time off. I've found myself playing w/ my guitar on 7 most of the time and just turning it up instead of playing at 10 and using my tubescreamer. And I recently sold the first pedal I bought, an RC Booster, because while it added something, it wasn't a $180 something.

My name should come up on the zendrive list sometime around the end of the month or early next if the recent trend continues, and I kinda want to try a different clean boost and the new Carbon Copy, but...I'm not 100% sure why. I'm probably going to end up selling/returning my tubescreamer just because I'm still not 100% sure why I have it. It's cool, but...I've tried ZVex, Barber, etc. boutique pedals as well as some mainstream ones and I'm not sure I see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe it's just the music I've been playing lately. Either that or I guess I have the opposite problem as you. Oh well, it's cheaper this way...or something.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with guitar -> Compressor -> Zendrive -> Boost -> Delay -> NMV, non-reverb amp set to crunch.

Maybe I just haven't found something that blows my hair back yet.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I've done this with a lot of pedals but mostly overdrives. I've bought and sold about 5 Timmy's, 7 Eternity's, 6 Keeley TS-9s, at least as many Analogman TS-9s and about 30 or so other overdrive pedals in the past 3 years. Right now I have a white Eternity and have resolved to never buy another OD that I've already owned again. I put my favorites over the years head to head with this Eternity and nothing can top it. Of course I'll still buy pedals I haven't owned before but I'm sick of buying and selling the same pedals.

6. sega

sega Member

I feel the same way when it come's to od-distortion.

I noticed some guitarist have 100 pedals and man does it take room or what...

Does your triaxis can emulate a good Marshall sound?
    My boogie (caliber 50 +) is lacking bottom compared to Marshall.
    It's lacking balls....

If it was of me (well...if I had more money)I would have about 10 amps, and no friggin pedals(od-distortion)

7. bestegw

bestegw Member

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so buying and selling about 50 pedals in three years doesn't apply to me. I'm also kind of a thinker, so I wait a few weeks (if not months) before I buy. That made me loose some stuff over @ evilbay, but nothing I couldn't handle... :BITCH

I'm pretty happy with what I'm on right now: BD-2 > Keeley Comp > LEO > FD2-mos > Keeley Fuzz Head > Voodoo Lab Trem > EHX Small Stone > Analogman Stereo Bi-Chorus > Line 6 DL4. I also have a Keeley modded TS9 and a Keeley Rat that are way too good to sell.

Right now, we're way too busy building our own pedals... once that bug bites you... (oh, I could build that... and that... and that... and that's way too cool too!!!):worried:worried:worried:worried:worried

I think it would be kind of nice to end your search somewhere, but I'm afraid that's never going to happen. Part of it is just human psychology and the fact that I just can't resist those little hammond boxes... (must... control... powers... must resist.... :roll)

BESTEGW

8. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Clean boosts were my addiction... most recently. Prior to that, it was select rack pieces... just one or two to run in combination with pedals. Not really a full blown rack setup.

I realized I was shopping more than playing/practicing... and I had joined a new band. I needed an amp upgrade, the Rivera K-55 needed to be boosted to get the sounds I was after.

I found and purchased the amp that provided me with the dirt/voicing I was looking for(it also has a built-in solo boost.) So my boost OCD was resolved... The new amp does not have that great of an fx loop(IMO.) So, wondering if this or that piece would work for me was immediately stopped(I did not want to use the fx loop.)

Fast forward to present day... on my pedalboard currently:
    BS-2(adds somethin' to wah and lets me run a longer cable to amp) > Wah > Phase 90 > Tuner

I dont have a pristine clean sound with this amp... if one is needed, I can add-in the Rivera for that. Usually a lil roll off on the volume and flippin to neck pickup cleans things up enough for me... yes, this is a two channel amp.
    I DO have all the distortion, gain etc... from this amp and then some that I could ever ask for/want.

This is all in a band setting... for bedroom playin'/practice/writing, I use a Boss BR-1600CD. This is only what has worked for me and the process I've been through the past few years. Mileage will vary.

9. bilbal

bilbal Member

I actually stumbled upon a list of different setting that Triaxis user have supplied to the 'Triaxis Forum" and found a cool JCM setting that rocks. The forum has a bunch of compressed folders that you can download or use the "preset editor" to download (haven't gotten that far yet). These folders are user/artist settings that give you the exact values to dial into the Triaxis for a specific artist's tone AND amp tone (all Mesa Boogie models and some others like the JCM800 AND 900). There are also a bunch from everyday guys that are pretty killer too. This thing is amazing. Of course they are not cheap but I figured the amount of money I was spending on boutique pedals for "that tone" was adding up and exceeding the 1800.00 price tag of the Triaxis so why not just get it and be done with it.??? I'm sure I will convince myself that I "need" to have the next biggest and best pedal to cycle through TGP - LOL!!!!!!

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

what are you using for a power amp?

11. bilbal

bilbal Member

I got the Triaxis and a 2:90 power amp about 2 weeks ago. It was the best rig I had ever had for the first 3 days but on the 4th day, the 2:90 s*** the bed. It's being repaired as we speak. The Triaxis and 2:90 together are amazing. The Triaxis actually controls the 2:90's different voicing depending on how you set the channel. Obviously the two were designed with each other in mind.

[​IMG]

The 2:90 would power up but there was nothing - I mean NOTHING. The tubes didn't glow and there was no sound. Last night I took the cover off one last time with the suggestion of a guy on the "Boogie Board" web forum and found that the OT had cooked one of the leads on it harness. Hopefully it won't be too much of a repair and it will be fixed soon and cheaply. Here is a picture of the problem:

[​IMG]

I got the two pieces used as part of a trade I did with another TGP member. So...the warranty obviously won't cover it. I'm hoping it won't be too expensive. I know nothing about this kind of thing at all.

Bill

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

hopefully not. That thing looks sweet though, you should make some clips after it's fixed up!

13. bilbal

bilbal Member

I actually made a couple clips of my Valve Junior the other night and then realized I have no idea how to post them. I assume I need to have a host site much the same as for pictures but what is everyone using?

b