I think I should have been a Bassist

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gas Hed, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

[/QUOTE]
    I coulda been a contender...

grill and michael razor like this.
  2. Mngwa

Mngwa Member

I've spent more time playing as a rhythm player.

I've often likened my playing to that of a point guard. I don't mind handing off for others to take big shots. I want the team to be good.

I've had more than one drummer say that he would 'follow' me as much as, or more than, the bass player.

With that said, when two different original bands had run their course, the frontmen (my former writing partners) didn't even attempt to play some songs that were basically theirs, after I wasn't a part of the mix.

In my current situation (not originals), I am required to play leads often. I don't improvise well. I work them out (some very close, others done my way) and joke that I repeat them like a parrot.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    FbIsNotE likes this.
  3. grill

grill Member

Yes, I think the Bass is a lot of fun.

I love it, except when I run out of strings to play. Sometimes I forget there is only 4. lol

Thinking of getting a 6 string bass but you don't play it like a guitar anyway.

That's the fun part!

What's that old adage? "A hard bass player is good to find?" something like that.

I say do both. It gives one a broader perspective of the music.

I use a drum program and most times I start with acoustic and build with bass and drums then add elec guitars.

Or I'll find a drum beat, add bass then gits etc.

Nothing like a killer bass line.

So go for it!

:):(

4. grill

grill Member

5. music321

music321 Member

By "bassist", I'm assuming you mean "bass fishing enthusiast", right?

6. scottlr

scottlr Member

:spit

7. burner

burner Member

BIG BOTTOM
    BIG BOTTOM
    Talk about bass urge
    Gas Hed's gott'em
    BIG BOTTOM
    Drive him outta his mind
    How could he leave bass behind....?

Gas Hed likes this.
  8. grill

grill Member

All about that bass.....

:):(

2HBStrat likes this.
  9. mikebat

mikebat Member

As much as I love the guitar, I think most solos do not serve the song.

I just got a new bass this week, and I realize that I am a pretty poor bassist. The attack, and muting of strings is much different than guitar, At least I have a cool bass to work that out with.

10. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

I started on guitar (and still play), but switched to bass because I wanted to. The band I'm currently in just needed something to hold everything together, and that's a service I'm able to provide. I thoroughly enjoy the 'thump' that occurs when I become one with the kick drum. Only downside is trying to convince bar personnel that I am indeed a band member, and as such, entitled to free drinks. :oops:

pickaguitar likes this.
  11. PB+J

PB+J Member

I'm primarily a bass player. Bass was my first love. Bass was what I heard first in music. I'm a good guitar player now but I'd almost always rather play bass. In jazz you get to solo on bass, but I'm happy to wave the solo off too. Soloing can be fun but also it can be meh who needs it. What I do like, that you don't usually get with the bass, is the chance to state the melody. I recently started teaching myself the flute and it's fun to play a strictly melody instrument.

There are a lot of great guitarists who don't solo a lot. Nile Rodgers comes to mind.

12. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Ever seen Dixie Dave play? Bass done right.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Back in college, There were always bands forming and while they had big dreams, they never had a bassist! I could have had my pick if I played bass instead of guitar!

This is me. I think of myself as a rhythm guitarist more than anything else. I like to sing the songs while I play, and there aren't many lead guitar players who can solo, or even just play the fills, while singing lead. For me, music is about the song, not the solo.

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I feel like the role of the bass player is certainly a good match for some personalities.

I started out in music playing saxophone and then guitar, but switched to bass in... 1990, I think. I really found my musical home with the instrument.

You get to hide from the limelight, but secretly control the whole band, works for me :)

I still play guitar and sing for acoustic solo gigs, but my fave is being the bass player in a band with good musicians, especially the drummer. I can keep myself entertained for hours on stage working different pockets with a good drummer and I find my most musical satisfaction from it.

grill likes this.
  15. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

That is just too weird for me.o_O

16. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

I'm a bassist, and I lol'd! :D

17. Madsen

Madsen Member

18. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

I've owned a bass for 25 years but never really learned how to play properly. Basically it was another instrument to noodle on. I bought a Hal Leonard bass method book and have just started working through it. Despite having a decent amount of dexterity, working on right hand technique has been a challenge.

19. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

I play bass with lots of craigslist jammers and I'm usually better than most of them on guitar. They find out eventually. It's better than hosting jams with unknown people.
    Strictly rhythm players should probably have good vocals and write songs.
    Players who are not song oriented are not in bands because that is not a sustainable situation.

20. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I started out as a bassist but ironically, never was very good at it until I'd played guitar professionally for years.

I love playing bass.
    I love playing rhythm.
    I love playing lead.
    And singing too.

One thing I really have fun with when playing bass is that, depending on the song, a lot of times it's almost as if you're soloing and there's a lot of room to do whatever you want, as long as you're listening.