I think I want a Reverend... again!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

my second guitar in 13 years was a Reverend. A big assed semi-hollow MantaRay. I bought it local, totally on a whim and I really liked it. But, I started gassing hard for other stuff and thought I wasn't a humbucker guy... I was wrong ;(
    So, I have a bevy of single coil style guitars (a couple in the emporium right now... wink, wink) and I'm thinking about getting another Reverend. The things I didn't like about the MantaRay were that it was really large, I didn't necessarily NEED a semi-hollow (but it sounded great), the fingerboard was a little tight/hard for me. The pups were their PAF copy? which rocked, but I believe they also make a model with another style of humbucker pup as well (Revtron)? The MantaRay was $600, I need to come in lower than that this time around. I dig tele-esque style body's vs. LP style and wondering about the Flatroc or Gil Paris models, but these might be too much. Anyone with experience with these please let me know. Playing through a cube 60 now but hope to upgrade to a nice tube amp soon.

2. billyC

billyC Member

Hi,
    I've really enjoyed my Flatroc. I specifically sought out one of the early models with the real Bigsby and the cat's eye f-hole. It is surprisingly versatile in tones, from twang to crunch and lots of choices in between. And it's by far the coolest-looking guitar I own, especially in orange!

But alas, I recently sold it since I've always wanted a true Gretsch and have no room for anymore guitars at home. ~bc

[​IMG]

3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

My Mantaray 290 shines thru my DRRI, or especially my Goodsell 17. Great guitars.

4. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

I wouldn't go for the Gil Parris... i really wanted one, but after playing it, the middle pickup really got in the way, and I really liked the Flatroc sound better.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Don't ever skip a guitar because it has a middle PUP, it takes literally 10 seconds to lower it flush to the body.

6. DOD250

DOD250 Member

My Reverend wishlist...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    ...and assuming it'll be released...
    [​IMG]

7. Doodad

Doodad Member

I wish I could love mine. Warhawk. Maybe I should pull him back out and try to rekindle some feelings. Something about the neck.

8. esiegel

esiegel Member

I just bought my second...I have a club king 290, which has been my favorite guitar for the past year. the onliest guitar I bring. But I have been gassing on the buckshot and did it on a whim yesterday. I am in love all over again. I love the neck, the sound, and the neck pup radiates chimey goodness. The mid position has a kind of glassy sound that kills me.

Play the buckshot and see what you think. I am selling a few american guitars because these rev's are working for me.

E

9. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

I just bought a FlatRoc. The best guitar I have ever bought on impulse. I was only expecting to try one. I played it for five minutes, looked it over and bought it.

I will be buying another one very soon. The neck on that thing is to die for!

10. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Yep, Rev necks are amazing.

11. 909one

909one Member

whats that hollow body reverend thats pictured above?
    Where did you see that?
    I'd love to get one of those!

12. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

That is a prototype Pete Anderson model. I don't think it is available yet. I believe that the pic came from the latest NAMM exhibit.

13. SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity Member

The hollowbody isn't out yet, it may be by Summer NAMM but it could be later than that. I already have one on order for myself in flat black (There's pictures of it in this month's Premier Guitar). I played the one pictured above at the show and loved everything about it.

14. Crazy88s

Crazy88s Member

I think the reverend's are one of the best value guitars you can get. I don't own one myself, but my friend does and he loves it, and the company is based only a few miles from my house so the local stores carry quite a few of them.
    One of my classmates owns a bass by them, and it sounds amazing.

Are they all made overseas now or are some of them still made in the US? Because I heard here and there stories about how people would just bring the guitar into the shop for repairs or to pick stuff out.

15. SpaceOddity

SpaceOddity Member

They're all made overseas now. I think when you special order one with a trem system they install it here, and I would imagine that their artists get USA made guitars, but I don't know if they do repairs or not.

16. justabubba

justabubba Member

[​IMG]
    if it's good enough for Unknown Hinson it's good enough for me