I think I’m coming around... PRS content.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mfranzdorf, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Supporting Member

I went all in and bought a double cut 594 back in February. It's an amazing guitar. Arguably the closest to perfect of any guitar I've played. Played great, fit and finish was flawless, sounded amazing (stock pups). I'm a seated player who supports the guitar on my right leg and I couldn't get comfortable with the 594 because of the forward (toward the neck) position of the leg cut. Which moved the whole "interface" to the right and screwed up my playing position. Hard to access the upper frets, hard to pick in my customary position without hitting the neck pickup. Evidently Les Pauls are very similar in this respect. I played a Lester knockoff when I was a kid, but I was rail-thin back then and played standing 99% of the time and I never would have noticed it. But with my advancing age and girth, I found myself playing the 594 only for 10-15 minutes before I'd hang it up and grab something I could play more comfortably. And ultimately last month I finally gave up on it and replaced it with a Scofield JSM-10 Ibanez, which I love almost as much even if it's objectively not quite as amazing. And a lot more because I can play it for as long as I feel like without any issues.

Unfortunately almost every PRS has the same leg cut location, so I probably won't ever be able to own one long term. The exception is the Silver Sky but I'm already good for strats and I prefer hardtails and maple fretboards anyway. I loved the 594 - don't have a single bad thing to say about it. Wish I could have kept it the rest of my life. But I was fighting with it too much just to play so it was either it or me - since I was gonna stay it was gonna have to go. Fortunately I bought it used so I didn't take too much of a hit when I sold it. I don't get the talk of PRSs lacking mojo - this guitar had way more mojo than I do and I love how it played and how it sounded. I just couldn't play it enough to make it a keeper.

It was an understated (by PRS standards) beauty too. At least I got to keep the photos:

[​IMG]594-10-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

-Ray

TA22GT and ProfRhino like this.
  2. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Member

Well, Sweetwater was running a Labor Day sale so I took a drive. While the CE series has its critics, I played a couple of them and one just spoke to me. Played / felt like perfection and sounded just as good. I sat with a custom 22 but the gloss neck and I just don’t get along. The CE 24 Satin Blackout was on sale as well, so that might have swayed me too. It’s perfect for me! I took a walk over to the used wall while waiting on some paperwork and there was a used Holcomb SE at a stupid low price. So.....I’m out the door with two PRS guitars for just about the price of the CE before the sale.
    I’m satisfied for a good long time.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

Those CE guitars are great. I will add one to the stable one day.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  4. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I had an early 2000s Custom 22. One of the most disappointing high end guitars I've purchased (used from halfway across the country).

My Stripped 58 is the other end of the spectrum. Just such a great guitar. I probably reach for it more than any other electric I own, and I've got a few dandies.

ProfRhino and mfranzdorf like this.
  5. Fullmoon1971

Fullmoon1971 Member

2 more added since last post

S2 Vela
    [​IMG]

SE Chris Robertson
    [​IMG]

Jugghaid, mfranzdorf, wilblee and 3 others like this.
  6. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

I also have examples of both, and like you say, the SC58s are extra special for me.
    But my 2000 Cu22 AP (with a RW/RP APH-1 set) has its applications as well, I have buddies (more into pop, funk or fusion) who always grab that guitar first.
    horses for courses, ymmv,
    Rhino

7. uab9253

uab9253 Member

I will hit 40 years of playing next month. And I just bought my first PRS this year, at Experience PRS, no less! I love love love mine.
    [​IMG]

gtrdave, ljt101, Fullmoon1971 and 5 others like this.
  8. Drew816

Drew816 Member

@mfranzdorf - Congrats and glad you took the plunge. I think you'll enjoy the CE24, they're under-rated but then I'm biased... ;)

[​IMG]

Fullmoon1971, ProfRhino and uab9253 like this.
  9. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

Well, from my perspective if I were forced to have only one electric guitar, my Custom 24 would be it. I can cover most tonal ranges with it. With the possible exception of a tinny, quacky Tele sound - it doesn't do that very well, but it does pretty much everything else very well. Simply an awesome sounding, fabulous playing, work of craftsmanship. top-to-bottom.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. sonofiam

sonofiam Member

Core CE's are my favorite PRS guitars. I've had a Brazilian McCarty, played a Custom 24 and a couple of Custom 22s. All of them were very well made, the quality and playability is so consistent, I simply like the feel of maple necks.

My wife is insisting the next guitar I buy is a Whale Blue Singlecut with birds. Oh well, the things I have to do....but I love her, not much to else I can do.

11. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Went to Righteous Guitars weekend before last to get some guitars worked on and a refret done. Dropped those off, and this one followed me home. Wasn't even remotely toying with the idea of owning a 594 at all, but when my wife saw it she fell in love. Then I played it and I fell in love.

mfranzdorf, TA22GT and uab9253 like this.
  12. uab9253

uab9253 Member

Orange Blaze? I love it. I love the fades they are doing. That one is drop dead gorgeous!

drjenkins likes this.
  13. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Thanks! Think it's officially called Orange Fade, but yeah it's just a killer look no matter you call it. It's a Wood Library with a swamp ash body, korina neck, Braz fret board, and the maple 10 top.

Butt shot:

TA22GT likes this.
  14. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Member

A beauty for sure!