I think I'm done buying strings in bulk

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by the_boogie_man, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Counterfeits? :omg

They're definitely out there.

2. groove machine

groove machine Member

This ^^

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Some sources take the necessary pains to make sure it never happens out of their shop.

I won't mention the smaller chain in Florida that done me this on 3 sets; I think they understood what they were doing. I never spent another dollar in any of their stores; spent it all at the competition.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Not to pile on D'Addario - all in all I think it's a great company, especially their brilliant Planet Waves products. But I started having too many problems with their strings. Coming unwrapped at the ball end, often. Then intonation issues... (weird). One set I pulled and the A string was literally 23 cents flat at the 12th fret. Not sure how it's physically possible, but it did in fact happen.

I tried some Curt Mangan's and have been using them every since. Great strings!

5. Brudr

Brudr Member

Strings oxidize like everything else.....if they are sealed in plastic they will last a lot longer on the shelf than if they are in paper packets....(vacumm sealed even better)

6. hardtail01

hardtail01 Member

I have been using D'Addario strings for about ten years now, and I've not had any problems with them.

My biggest gripe was when they stopped using the pastel colors for the ball ends and switched to using metallic colors instead. They were still coded the same, so it wasn't like it was a huge pain or anything.

D'Addario and Ernie Ball strings are almost interchangeable to me, except that the D'Addario strings are a little less expensive.

7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Member

D'addario has had issues w/ counterfeits - no news there.

I use the bulk shop boxes in my shop (25 ct ea.) and nary an issue, save for the 6th strings jamming up on occasion:bitch

8. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Re-intonate the new stretched string. It could help.

9. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

Me too. I had about 4 sets in a row of D'Addario 9-42's that the high E string came unwound from the ball end. I went to Elixir's and never looked back.

10. openG

openG slidealicious Silver Supporting Member

I just found this place today, and placed an order. Very user friendly!

They have Curt Mangan's on sale for the cheapest I've found .

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com

11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

I've been continuously drawing from a large stockpile of never-used strings for the last 15 years. All of them are in paper envelopes stored in a climate-controlled environment and have remained as zingy-sounding as ever. I have yet to experience a single occurrence of any phenomenon where NOS strings have supposedly "gone dead" or went "stale". Maybe someone out there has figured out how to straighten old discarded worn-out strings, boil off all the crud EVH-style, buff the rust off them, re-package them using old envelopes, and found a way to re-circulate them into the market.

12. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

I used to take all of my strings off at the same time to do a string change. I found that the guitar sounded kind of lack luster for a few hours while the guitar readjusted to the tension change. So now I'm a one string at a time guy.

13. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

I've noticed this too, the lower count you get the better the strings sound. I usually buy the 3 packs but single packs sound better still...

:peenut