I think im giving up on OD ...(Rv50 content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ivansardi, Mar 3, 2012.

1. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

So For last year and a half Iwe been going through VARIOUS OD,s mostly looking for a low-mid gain OD that would complement my Orange Rockerverb 50 but the more and more I try pedals the less I like them. The Rockerverb can really get me ALL the sounds I need! From Low gain Dumblish tones (ZenDrive was EATEN ALIVE by the amp) to High Gain Stoner/Doom stuff. The od that I like the most is the OKKO Diablo Gain + because of its versitility but It also is a little harsh to ym ears. Isnt there a way to COPY the amps OD channel and put it in a box so when Im not using my Orange I still have that creamy bluesy low gain and meltyourface high gain? Or are there any ODs that you (Rockerverb50 users) could compare to your OD channel of the amp? Tnx guys.

2. jpervin

jpervin Member

Is your Orange Rockerverb 50 a tube amp? If so, you're never going to replicate that tube breakup sound except from the tubes themselves, which is the best kind of breakup anyway.
    OTOH, you may try a tube-based OD, such as the Kingsley Minstrel or Jester.

3. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

Didnt try the Minstrel or the Jester (hard to come by in my country)... Any prefrences betwee those 2?

4. deeaa

deeaa Member

Impossible to recommend OD's, IMO...I don't use one, my Marshall JVM and its four channels gives me more OD options I'd really even need.

FWIW, that JVM is the first all-tube OD sound I really like, not counting oldskool style semi-OD's sounds which come best from Marshall 2204 or Bluesbreaker...I have always liked the combination of tube poweramp crunch with some clipping diodes in front of it. Tube OD can be annoyingly too round and singing & warm without enough bite and aggressiveness...you know, 'guitar hero' sounds with loads of sustain...like Gary Moore etc...meh, not for me, I don't like that kind of sounds for my own playing.

I have had several tube OD's and the best was likely the Chandler TubeDriver, but usually I've always reverted to Marshall Jackhammer in OD mode for my drives in the past.

5. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

too much ODs too little money