I think I'm going to return my Rt66...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radialaced, Jul 7, 2006.

1. radialaced

radialaced Member

Always wanted to try a Rt66. Three weeks ago I stumbled across a nice used one in...of all places Guitar Center.

First of all I only use humbucker guitars these days. PRS or LP.

I was immediately impressed with it's thick and rich overdrive from 10:00 on the volume and up. And it's totally true that the treble and bass knobs act like gain knobs in their respective frequency bands too.

The Rt66 sounds great with any cabinet I tried. In the last three weeks I tried a bunch of cabs and different speakers. Right now the Rt66 is sitting on top of a lightweight Allen 1x12 cab with a ToneTubby Alnico hempcone in it. It's a killer combination.

So why would I return it? Well, I don't have limitless funds and I have been reviewing my gear trying to decide what to put on the selling block. I gigged last weekend with the Rt66 through a 2x12 G12-65 loaded cab and it sounded great. But I also had my Fuchs 1x12 50 watt mod through a 25 watt RI Greenback with me. I switched back and forth that night and I think the Fuchs sounded more musical than the Rt66. Please don't misunderstand, the Rt66 is very musical, but with my playing style the Rt66 sounded like a bulldozer knocking down walls, (a cool sound) and the Fuchs was singing, (a slightly cooler sound). The Fuchs can't do the bulldozer thing as well, but it is much more versitile and very elastic.

So tonight while I was A/B'd the Rt66 with my 65 Super Reverb, (using the Normal channel which is my favorite channel on all Fender amps) I learned that the Super can do the Rt66 bulldozer sounds for me. In fact the super is a little tighter, (no ghost notes, unlike the Rt66).

So, I have been waiting for 3 or 4 years for a Rt66 and now I may have to give it up. If I'm going to return it I must do that by the 16th of this month so I'm under pressure to make up my mind.

I wish I didn't have to make this choice but I makes no sense to keep it when I have that sound already and I need the money too.

Just needed to get this off my chest. I know most of you guys have had to let things go before.

2. radialaced

radialaced Member

Well I did it. I returned the RT66. It was a sad moment because it is an amazing amp.

My mind was made up when I gigged an outdoor gig with my 65 Super Reverb. I played my PRS through the normal channel the whole night. To my ears the normal channel is the best channel for me to use. The normal channel is often overlooked by a lot of Fender players but it's often twice as thick with more gain then the Reverb or Trem channels. Plus I don't miss the reverb in the mix. I used an AC Booster a few times during the gig and the SR sounded massive. By the last set I was running my SR volume above 8......yeah!

Anyway, I had to pick one amp to keep and one amp to go.....so I'm keeping the 65SR, not the Rt66.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Much as I love my 66 I have to say you did the right thing.
    You gave the amp a real world evaluation and decided it wasn't for you, how can anyone argue that?

The only thing that concerns me is that the tubes may have been weak in the 66, especially since you mentioned ghost notes which I do not hear in my 66 at all. However, I don't think it would have made that big a difference, cause bulldozer is a great description of how the 66 cuts through a band. It is fat, thick, muscular and not harsh, but it also does not do the sparkly Fender thing at all.

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

sparkled mine up with a Weber Blue Dog.Got the chime now. Just got a bb preamp pedal and it is now singing (a la Fuchs). It is a thicker sound obviously but the combo of the BB preamp and weber blue dog added sparkle and clarity to the head. Wonderful combination. I actually went the other way, sold off a 68 super reverb (transitional model with 67 guts) to get a Z amp. The 68 was pretty nice, but like an ice pick to the brain with all that treble, even with swapped speakers. It could have used an overhaul and that might have helped, but the only thing it could do well was a nice rhythm tone with my 335, godlike it was. It does match so well with TS style pedals and you're off in SRV land. Well you did the right thing, letting it go and all, if it didnt work for ya.

5. radialaced

radialaced Member

That sounds like a great speaker for the Rt66. That's pretty funny that we both went 180 degrees out of phase.

I hear you on the rhythms. I couldn't get a nice bouncy, Fendery, rhythm with the wah wah with my Rt66. The band I'm in needs me to provide some funky wah wah rhythms in about a half a dozen songs and the Rt66 was a little too thick for that sound.

Now keep in mind, if gas wasn't $3.00 a gallon and I didn't have a couple of teenagers going to college in a few years, and if I didn't need a new car....blah, blah, blah. Then I never would have brought the Rt66 back.

I can see owning another one in the future.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Get the 66 back and send them to community college!
    :RoCkIn

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'm hearin' ya loud and clear. I used to own a Route66. It is a great amp, but it I could cover its ground quite well with other amps. I have a Budda SD 45 and a (born again HARD) Fuchs Blackjack 21. Between those amps the Route66 would be sitting under its Tuki cover collecting dust. It's far too good an amp to do that. I'm recommending one to a buddy who plays dirty Tele in a country band. For him I think a Route 66 would be perfect.

peace,

jb

8. radialaced

radialaced Member

Can you tell me how the Budda SD45 and the Fuchs Blackjack 21 fit together? Is the Blackjack more in the 6v6 Fender camp and the SD45 in the Marshall camp?

Thanks

9. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I've never played a 66, but I have a Z28. I agree, you did the right thing. Gotta do what works best for you.

10. myles111

myles111 Member

Don't feel the least bit of regret .... a Super Reverb is a great piece of work ... a classic .... a standard .... a wonderful amp.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I played Kiwi's 66 at a jam...sounded absolutely great with a MI TZ in front. But I'm with the mob here...not sure where it would fit in my stable.
    Greg

12. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

no one ever claimed the Rt66 was a super versitle amp. it has it's own sound for sure. and if you like that sound, it does it better than any other amp iv'e seen out there.

i have had one for about 2 years and told my wife not to ever let me sell it. it's not my only amp, i have different tools for different jobs. I'm not much of a "Leathermen" kind of guy....