• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a late 90's DeArmond..budget content

Mobass

Gold Supporting Member
Tough one here because I have to admit I'm a bit of a gear well... snob. Higher end name brand, vintage or boutique ever since I've been able to. Never looked down at budget gear but I liked nicer stuff and worked hard for it blah blah blah. Well I've found a Korean (Fender) DeArmond Starfire Custom w/ the USA Goldtone pups. Excellent condition for cheap. Very surprised how nice this little semi is. A bit heavy but very balanced. Any fans out there of these under the radar (imo) guitars? Thoughts?

bgmacaw

These were all over Guitar Center 20 years ago but only for a very short time. They were pretty good inexpensive guitars. It's too bad Fender decided to discontinue the brand but I guess costs for building in Korea were too high. They also discontinued the highly regarded MIK Squier Protone series about the same time.

Phila67

I say go for it. They are nothing to look down on. I have DeArmond X-155 with the goldtone pickups. It's a really nice jumbo hollowbody. Found it used on clearance for $300. Quality on par or superior to Gretsch Electromatics and Epiphone semis, plus the US goldtone pickups are very good.

Last edited:

AL30

I'm a fan. I have an M75T and a Starfire Special. Both have the 2K pickups. I have a few sets of Goldtone pickups lying around as well. Those are great guitars and pickups.

tapeworm

I owned several DeArmond guitars that were MIK made and really liked them. A real good deal for the money and quality was all there.

Carbohydrates

My first non-terrible guitar was an M75 with goldtones and I believe a nato body. It was a perfectly decent guitar; I never had a problem with it.

funkmeister79

Gold Supporting Member
I briefly owned a Starfire Special. Didn't really give it enough time to put it through its paces, but the tone was great. I just didn't like how heavy it was, and the neck was too wide for me.

Mobass

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses folks. I figure for 300 bucks you cant go wrong. Pics upon arrival.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom