I think I'm moving up from the Peavey Classic 30: Recommend some amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Jul 28, 2006.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I'm thinking a Shiva (EL34) or a Mesa Lonestar.

I like the qualities of the C30 but I want a more harmonic, dynamic and rich sound. I don't mind using a boost on the distorted channel for leads and heavier sounds.

Any recommendations on two channel amp with a killer clean and a good marshall like overdrive channel that takes pedals well? Remember C30 upgrade. I use humbucker strat style guitars. I would prefer an amp with an efx loop works really good.

I know the Shiva has a loop problem, but understand the new model fixes this problem.

I need to stay under $2000 for a head and 2x12 (or 1x12 combo).

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Rivera? I moved up from a Delta Blues to a Chubster 40 and am still very happy with it.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

Soldano would be the ticket. Decatone, Lucky 13, Reverb O Sonic.....

5. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I have looked at and almost bought the Lucky 13. Love the clean and love the distortion. The problem is it does not have a loop AND I owned a SLO and the loop just plain sucked! I wonder what it would cost to put a good loop in the Lucky 13?

6. Matt F

Matt F Member

+1 for me on the Rivera. Fandango owner here and loving it.

7. gearo999

gearo999 Member

How does the crunch side of this amp sound? Clips?

8. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

Budda SD18 or SD30. Good clean and excellent marshall style crunch.

9. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

I'd say Budda SD 18/30, VHT super 30/pitbull 45/50 ST, or the Shiva. Of course you'll find out real quick that here in Dayton, we don't have crap for amp selection. Probably have to drive to Cinci at least. Or up to Findlay to Greazygeo's place. I've got a VHT 50 ST that I'm playing out on the 12th if you come out. I'm getting really used to it now and am liking it alot. Oh, just remembered....I think Dayton Band does carry a Rivera or two. They had a fandango last time I was in about 6 months ago.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Dr Z Carmen Ghia....owned them both and played them side by side.
    The Z at 18 watts was louder and cleaner than the C30 and very touch sensitive. If you don't leave your guitar volume control dimed all the time, you can control the sound very well. No channel switching and no effects loop, but it handles pedals very well.

11. tbp0701

tbp0701 Member

It sounded like you were describing a Rivera to me, too.

12. Brewmaster

Brewmaster Member

I have been around the horn with a quite a few amps. Like you I have a Peavey Classic 30 that I have had for about 3 years and won't let it go. (I had mine modded by someone on the Hamer board and swapped the speaker)

I went round and round with 2 channel amps, with the closest fit for my needs being a Mesa Lone Star Special. That being said, after about a year I went into a local store and played a Reissue Tweed Bassman. I sold the Lonestar a week later and got the 59 RI Tweed Bassman. It is not a two channel amp but I use OD pedals and get exactly the tones I want.

Don't get a mindset for a two channel amp, they are not for everybody. Get out there and play as many amps as you can.

Just my .02

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

The Decatone has a loop which works great if you ask me, but check it out for yourself first of course.

The Decatone is a 3 channel..clean, crunch, and overdrive and does not have reverb. The clean channel is superb, the crunch channel is basically hot rodded Marshall, and the 3rd channel is of course SLO. Great amp!

14. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I to have a C30 with a Greenback. I moved to a Maz 18 and was/am thrilled with the result. I also have a Bad Cat Cub 11 that I am experimenting in stero with the Maz. I have gigged the Maz but not the Cat. In recent years I have gone from 60 to 50 to 30 now to 15 watts and have never been happier with my tone.
    Good luck in your search.
    Anyone wanna buy a Tweed C30?

15. Matt F

Matt F Member

Gearo,

I wish I was set up to record some clips of the Fandango for you. It sounds like the crunch side of the Knucklehead Reverb. It is very Marshallesque. There are lots of different sounds to be dialed in on the Rivera amps. From classic fender (BF/Tweed) to Ballsy British gain. Has a switch on the back called Vintage/Modern. This is kind of like a 50% power switch but it also changes the voicing of the amp as well. Very cool. If I had to have one amp this is it. It is a one trick pony and does em well. WWW.Rivera.COM for some tone samples.

Customer service seems nice. I called Rivera last week with a tube question. Got a helpful person right away and he offered me his email address if I had any more trouble so I could continue talking with him if I had any more questions.

I saw the amplifier in a "boutique" guitar store in Florida when I went with my brother to get some set up work done one a couple guitars. He has a Fuchs TDS 50 he purchased at that store a month or so prior (Killer amp as well). When we picked up the guitars we tried them out with the Fandango. Jon, my brother, plugged his Zion into it, played a few chords and a couple of licks and had a suprised look on his face. We looked at eachother and said "This thing sounds good". The next week it came home to live with me :)

Anyway, I like my Rivera and recomend it without hesitation.
    [​IMG]
    And it looks great! IMO :AOK

16. gregc

gregc Member

The EL34 loaded Fandango is a great amp. I don't own one but did have a Quiana (same amp with 6L6s). The Q might be a touch nicer on the clean side (Think Fender Blackface clean) while the Fandango might have the edge on the "Marshally" side. I've always had great service from the folks at Rivera.

17. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

PM me, I have a Lonestar 2x12 in my music store I teach at I can hook you up with if you want. Let me know