I think I've been taken....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Vanilla Latte, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

NGD....sort of. Except it's going right back (assuming Reverb helps me on this).

Was listed in "excellent" condition. The seller even had the audacity to mention "near mint" in the description. o_O

And these pics don't show it all. There's at least 15 bruises on it, not to mention an uncountable number of little nicks and scratches.

No response from seller (yet). Honestly hoping reverb steps up here.

Honestly......what's wrong with people???? :nono

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Personally I could live with it since some of its near the strap buttons, but I would say that is more like 'good' or 'very good' condition and definitely not 'near mint'.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Yeah, but does it play like buttah?

Lothar34, mikey, maplebaby and 17 others like this.
  4. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

I hear ya.

If I paid the "good" to "very good" price I wouldn't mind it so much.

5. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

No but it came from a smoke free, pet free, dander free, dirt free, kid free home. And it was only played once in his studio, then gently placed back in its case and spent most of it's life in the case under his bed. Never left the house.

I guess that counts for something.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Otter359, uab9253, bluesoul and 29 others like this.
  6. Abram4235

Abram4235 Member

I used to live about 2 hours away from Portland ME (mostly back roads) where my buddy's dad worked in sales at a guitar store. I was around 16 at the time and it was when 7 strings were all the rage.

My dad got a call from him and said he just got an Ibanez RG7620 in and we HAD to come down to look at it.

The guitar in your photos doesn't look much different than the one we drove 2 hours to see. My dad was unimpressed as you could imagine and I was pretty disappointed too.

I ended up going to a Guitar Center in MA a year later and happened upon an even better one. Used the money I saved for my first car to buy it and my parents loaned me the money for a car. I thought that was pretty cool.

Good luck with the return, I'm sure it will all work out.

7. Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard Member

Personally I wouldn’t even consider anything with a ding deep enough to go through the top colour as “good”.

Custom shop relics excepted...

darth_tar, kafka, fourtet102 and 30 others like this.
  8. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Yep, I'd say you got screwed. However, that would qualify for mint on Craig's List. ;)

9. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

Yeah - if you paid for "near mint" and got what's in the photos - you got ripped off.

A lot of that depends on what was disclosed in the ad and photos - and to a degree the age of the guitar. That
    looks like it might be a 90's Les Paul Studio? If that's the case, it's hard to find a 30 year old player that doesn't have that level of wear.

That said - those kinds of bumps and bruises don't bother me at all on regular "player" type guitars. They're going to get them anyway at some point.

HERSCHEL and jrjones like this.
  10. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

I think I'm officially done with online buying. This is honestly the last straw. Too many dishonest sellers out there.

11. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

Here's the Description as listed on Reverb. Interestingly, he cleverly angled the photos so not a single mark was shown.

I bought this brand new somwhere in 2007 or 2008 (I may still have the original receipt). I played a lot of acoustic and wanted to get into electric, but I never really did. Since then, it has seen VERY little play time and is in near mint condition. I haven't played it in close to 6 years and have never gigged with it. I plugged it in to check it out and everything works as it should. The sound is great, the action is perfect (for me), and the paint is SWEET. It changes from teal to blue depending on the lighting, which I've heard is a rare color.

It comes with a hard-shell Gibson case that is fit to the guitar. The only issue with anything is with the case. At some point in 2009, or so, I forgot the code to the case and had to break it open in order to get the guitar out. I believe this to be an easy fix, but I've never actually looked into it. Everything else on the guitar and case are in great shape.

Billy Van Beck and Brian N like this.
  12. dpeterson

dpeterson Member

All depends on the price IMHO... some pay for that "character". Hope you get it fixed up.

EtaCarinae and mojah like this.
  13. mooawk

mooawk Member

For over the past year, most of the stuff that I've bought from Reverb sellers have not been as described. I think I'm done buying on Reverb unless I know that the seller is reputable.

14. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I'd be willing to bet a "not as described" complaint accompanied by these pics would see your money coming back to you.

15. Abram4235

Abram4235 Member

He's barely played it but he's dropped it down the stairs a few times.

16. amigo30

amigo30 Supporting Member

If I were the final judge, that sure does sound misleading to me.

Still - if you got it for $600 bucks or so - it's probably still a great deal for that guitar. If you got it for $900 - not cool at all.

Gevalt, Jabberwocky and Vanilla Latte like this.
  17. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I think Im pretty forgiving in the condition dept but, that is not close to near mint. If I thought I was getting near mint, Id return that.

18. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Cue seller TGP post:

I'm tired of these buyers trying to rip me off, asking for partial refunds, despite my very clear and detailed description. What gives?

Ah, Reverb. Tastes just like chicken.

TravisE, Whatnobeer, HoboMan and 8 others like this.
  19. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

Yep. Bad experiences on both sides of the equation. I’ve had crappy experiences both buying and selling.

Stick a fork in me .....

Trolley Car and whatizitman like this.
  20. GuitarMakerNyc

GuitarMakerNyc Member

At least you have a sense of humor! You do know those dings only show up against tan pants right?