• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I think I've found the best gig bag for reasonable amount of money (F-style guitars)

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
I’m curious about the “last forever” comments.

I’ve received a few gig bags when I purchased used guitars that were basically protection from dust and rain. I expect they cost ~$20USD brand new. I prefer HS cases, but like the space savings related to gig bags. I have also received much ‘nicer’ and likely more expensive gig bags also.

I have had, and used, some of them for years and years without issue to the bag or the guitar inside. I take just normal care when loading/unloading them into the car and gig. At home/storage unit, they are stored next to or on top of each other, not thrown, but also not babied.

What causes yours to “fall apart” or “wear out?”
I haven’t had one fail yet, and some are >30 years old.

I’m happy that we have so many choices, and I can understand wanting to protect a Custom Shop investment in better than a cheap bag. My question regards what is happening that you have failures so consistently.
Thank you for sharing your responses.

lowyaw

I’m curious about the “last forever” comments.

I’ve received a few gig bags when I purchased used guitars that were basically protection from dust and rain. I expect they cost ~$20USD brand new. I prefer HS cases, but like the space savings related to gig bags. I have also received much ‘nicer’ and likely more expensive gig bags also.

I have had, and used, some of them for years and years without issue to the bag or the guitar inside. I take just normal care when loading/unloading them into the car and gig. At home/storage unit, they are stored next to or on top of each other, not thrown, but also not babied.

What causes yours to “fall apart” or “wear out?”
I haven’t had one fail yet, and some are >30 years old.

I’m happy that we have so many choices, and I can understand wanting to protect a Custom Shop investment in better than a cheap bag. My question regards what is happening that you have failures so consistently.
Thank you for sharing your responses.
IME, the first offender is (are) string ends at headstock. They tend to damage inner lining very quickly, trimmed, not trimmed, whatever.
The second tier is weather, dirt and public transport commute. If you move around in a car, divide the potential damage by 10.
The least likely, but still statistically significant, are zippers.
Having said that, I've only gotten rid of gigbags that had become really ripped by strings or were too dirty to be aesthetically appealing. The latter case mostly concerns early days of my epic ongoing musical career. Like snotty teen age.

Last edited:

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
IME, the first offender is (are) string ends at headstock. They tend to damage inner lining very quickly, trimmed, not trimmed, whatever.
The second tier is weather, dirt and public transport commute. If you move around in a car, divide the potential damage by 10.
The least likely, but still statistically significant, are zippers.
Having said that, I've only gotten rid of gigbags that had become really ripped by strings or were too dirty to be aesthetically appealing. The latter case mostly concerns early days of my epic ongoing musical career. Like snotty teen age.
Thank you!
This makes sense and I hadn’t considered it.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
I'm 99% sure all bags are China made. Including Mono, probably, but don't quote me on that. which is fine, if the design is good and the materials are high quality.
All in all, the bag costed $95 + shipping, so not that much less than the US price.
OTOH, compare the prices of american guitars in EU to the equivalents in the US. And rejoice :)
That was what I was getting at. You can get a USA made Gibson LP for less from Germany:

Thomann - $2599

SW - $2999

:huh

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
:dunno

Compare those.
What you're seeing is probably "no tax", international site, plus there could be certain models, that are filed under "push" category - and thus sell at a lower street price.
Except I would bet any guitar is cheaper from Thomann than from SW. If you really want to see the prices jump up\down check out how much a Marshall is in Germany vs US. Also, the Sweetwater price doesn't include sales tax

NamaEnsou

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve bought SKBs and gators. Thrown away SKBs and gators. Only mono for me thanks. They last. Everything else falls apart.
Every case or bag can last forever if taken care of, but nothing beats the original InCase lineup, which was the inspiration for every other company since.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Not bad for $96.64USD.
It's actually just $78 USD ;) (plus shipping)

Someone needs to explain why you can get this for almost half the price as in the US ($139 at SW). It's probably not made in the US, but still crazy that you can buy Fender\Gibson\etc for much less in Germany, than you would pay in the US.
Where are you seeing them at those prices?

I'm seeing $139.99 everywhere.

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
I have trouble holding a beer on any given night, I like hard cases heh
I'll throw a Strat or Tele in a gig bag but am hesitant to do it with a Les Paul and never do it with my 335 although I have a nice Mono bag for it. I keep the 333 in it and treat it with kid gloves if I ever have to move it.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Where are you seeing them at those prices?

I'm seeing $139.99 everywhere.
From Thomann:

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
From Thomann:
Sadly, they insisted on planting cookies on my computer in order for me to access their site and "Homie don't play that" so I passed on entrance but I did see the price, thanks!

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Sadly, they insisted on planting cookies on my computer in order for me to access their site and "Homie don't play that" so I passed on entrance but I did see the price, thanks!
Check your Mac\Pc... TGP plants 5 cookies

musicman1

For 100 bux, at least that’s what they were, the gator transit bag is a nice mix of case and gig bag. Only thing I dont like about it is that you need to fully unzip the lid with the bag lying down like a case to get the gtr out.

stratzrus

Gold Supporting Member
Check your Mac\Pc... TGP plants 5 cookies
I'm not surprised. Some cookies are probably unavoidable and if it's an issue at all for someone they nee to evaluate how important accessing that site is to them.

I usually avoid commercial sites that insist on cookies in order to access content if I'm just casual browsing. It's probably an effort in futility but as far as cookies being implanted I figure less is more.

MGT

I'll throw a Strat or Tele in a gig bag but am hesitant to do it with a Les Paul and never do it with my 335 although I have a nice Mono bag for it. I keep the 333 in it and treat it with kid gloves if I ever have to move it.
I have a Reunion Blues Continental Voyager gig bag for my 335 - it's incredible and so much more protection that the basic Gibson hard shell case.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom