I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

2. spiral

spiral Member

I assume the reason people get bothered by relic-ing (ie. manufactured wear) is that it wasn't created through hours of playing the instrument. It's inauthentic—like faking an antique: patina vs. distressed. That's why you now see terms like "honest wear" in ads to say something is truly worn through play, not selectively sanded. True play wear also implies vintage, and all the feelings (good and bad) that go along with it.

I would never buy a relic, but I also don't feel that strongly about it. I'd probably rather wear a guitar on my own as an artifact of my history with that instrument and evidence that I used it. I also understand why people get worked up about it.

Also, is this a rock/blues phenomenon? I don't know that I've seen acoustic archtops, classical guitars, or metal-style guitars relic'd—at least not as many.

Little_Wing and HERSCHEL like this.
  3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Supporting Member

Thanks.

A relic is for some, and not for others - like anything else, really. I cannot relate to the oft-cited anxiety about scratching or dinging a shiny, new guitar. I mean, everything I have ever owned and used has gotten some wear at some point. Maybe for some people, perfect newness is a cause for anxiety. Not for me.

4. BMW-KTM

BMW-KTM Member

5. mdr-gtr

mdr-gtr Member

I only use brand new picks when playing my relic guitars so that they sound shiny and new.

6. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Accept it and be done, that’s my suggestion, you are not buying anywhere, so why care...

7. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Well stated, and I understand your point. My point is that a ‘naturally’ beat up guitar is not a measure of the actual practice time, gigging time, or skill of the player. The so called ‘honest wear’ could be the result of a player with crappy technique, or a player who just didn’t take care of his instrument.

8. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I knew a guy that would purposely ding a brand new guitar so that he would never worry ever about it’s looks, he still does that.

johngalt2004 likes this.
  9. burton56

burton56 Member

Classic shovel to the guitar trick. Works every time!

10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

The only thing that pisses me off a little is too much of tone chasing.
    Though since joining TGP, I've gained some perspective.

To your question, smoking (not tobacco) helps :aok

I don't know if that's the case but having a choice is great.
    Giving some thoughts to your choice even better.
    Preferring red over green may seem a small,'unconscious' decision but deeper in our brain, there would be a rationale behind it that we don't realise.
    One's tolerance of other's choices is a different matter & a discussion doesn't hurt.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  11. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

12. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

You know, you can choose not to let it bother you. It really is that easy.

At some point in the future, you’re going to come to the stark realization that you’ve wasted precious time and energy on something that doesn’t matter at all.

13. TYR

TYR Member

I actually like mild relic jobs such as some of Fender's Journeyman Custom Shop guitars or Suhr's Classic Antiques. When the relic'ing goes overboard, it starts looking a bit silly and some poorly done DIY jobs look outright absurd. When it's done for the purposes of making the guitar sound better, I'm all in. When it's done strictly for aesthetics such as on amps and guitar cases, I'll pass but that's just me. There's a market for it and if someone else likes it and buys it, who am I to judge? What other people choose to buy with their money is none of my damn business.

14. Superstick

Superstick Supporting Member

It’s just another finish option. It’s actually become a look more than anyone trying to fool anyone with the wear. And you don’t worry about dinging the guitar.

bluesoul likes this.
  15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I can't see myself ever buying a brand new guitar, but if I were forced to, I'd be interested in relics. I am used to playing old, well worn guitars, and I feel uncomfortable playing brand new, pristine guitars.

JaiRamana likes this.
  16. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Well I waited 11 pages before posting:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm...Another relic thread that just coughs up the same BS. Personally I am sick of hearing "posing", "honest wear" and earned". What a crock of S**t. Honest wear? like it's is some badge of credibility? really? Show me the money...can you play?
    Earned because some other 5 dudes over 40 years put wear on it...but now you have it?
    Posing? Faking?: For who? All the folks in the bar that don't know the difference between a vintage Stratocaster and a Squire? Hell, they don't know the difference between a Telecaster and a les Paul.
    These arguments are insane!

I totally get it if someone likes pristine over beat up...other than that I see no valid reasons for the relic hate. Hell, a guitar is just a tool...if it plays well and sounds good....you are in good shape and can put the f-ing thing in your hands , plug it in and enjoy.

No wonder the stereotypes for guitar players exist:
    How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    Answer: 3
    1 to do it and two to say they could have done it better!

Please stop pissing all over yourselves and others and simply enjoy playing this wonderful instrument.

And for those who want to quote me and argue...yer going on my ignore list and filed under "dipsh*t" gad damn it:). warned!
    Other than that...have a fantastic evening and a splendid day tomorrow!!!

Last but not least..."get the f**k off my lawn"

17. woof*

woof* Member

Still fake wear...lol

18. DC1

DC1 Member

That’s funny right there...

dc

19. DC1

DC1 Member

A friend had an untouched 52 Les Paul goldtop.

the finish was all checked and lightly cracked. I loved the finish and would never repaint it, but I also would never pay someone to make a new guitar look like that. It was beautiful because it was old, not because it was beat up. Like a beautiful older lady, it was perfect.

dc

20. blackcloud

blackcloud Member

I guess new "ripped/torn jeans must really piss you off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.