I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anacharsis

Relics are BS.
It's for people that want the look of having put in 100,000 hrs of playing time..but really aren't that dedicated.
While they are at, why not buy a certified-authentic letter from some celeb (David Hasselhoff??) that sez how great it was when you sat in? Or maybe a photo-shopped pic of you and EVH at Namm. Sure..I get it..you're a guy that's paid DUES......
NOT.
Just curious...how is that different from buying a used guitar that looks a little beat up?

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
Relics are BS.
It's for people that want the look of having put in 100,000 hrs of playing time..but really aren't that dedicated.
While they are at, why not buy a certified-authentic letter from some celeb (David Hasselhoff??) that sez how great it was when you sat in? Or maybe a photo-shopped pic of you and EVH at Namm. Sure..I get it..you're a guy that's paid DUES......
NOT.
The first relic was requested by Don Was...there are any number of pros rocking relics...

You were saying?

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
Nobody is saying that. OP even said his feelings were irrational. Sometimes people are irked by things they have no control over.
So now you’re switching to defending irrational hate...it will be interesting to hear what you’re spouting tomorrow...

telecopter

To me, it's not really the look, as much as the feel of them I like. Bonus- if you get cymbal rash on the headstock, it's not fatal.

telecopter

Here, I'd focus your anger on the new thing: Masterbuilt aged amps!!

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/amp...-custom-deluxe-reverb-masterbuilt-relic-120v/

MORE ABOUT '64 CUSTOM DELUXE REVERB® MASTERBUILT RELIC®

The impending launch of the hand-wired ’64 Custom Deluxe Reverb amp inspired us to create the ultimate Blackface amplifiers, Masterbuilt by Shawn Greene and Jim Dolmage. Each unique one-of-a-kind piece is crafted from solid pine reclaimed from a 19th century barn in Pennsylvania, with knots and nail holes contributing to the charm and individuality of each piece. This thoroughly seasoned wood is also light and very resonant for astounding tonal response. The amps were painstakingly handcrafted and finished with a Blackface Relic treatment. They are perfectly suited to stage and studio, or to sit proudly in your living room. A chromed Fender Custom Shop badge on the rear panel marks these pieces as the genuine article.

This exclusive Masterbuilt run is limited to only three units globally.

Features Include:
• Hand-wired in Corona, Calif.
• Modified AB763 circuit with BRIGHT and NORMAL channels
• Tube-driven spring reverb and tremolo on both channels
• Fender Vintage Blue tone capacitors
• Four 12AX7 and two 12AT7 preamp tubes
• 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube
• Matched pair of 6V6 output tubes
• 20 watts output power
• 12” Celestion® Greenback speaker for punch and tonal character
• Finger-jointed cabinet of reclaimed solid pine barn wood for visual character, increased resonance and light weight
• Lightly aged silver grille cloth
• Chromed Fender Custom Shop rear panel badge
• Footswitch and amp cover included

ONLY, if they finish them by dragging them through a gravel barnyard behind their Ford F150's.

suparsonic

I just bought my first relic. A 60’s RW Strat. I am looking forward to not worrying about dinging it up. And I don’t give a damn what anyone else thinks about it. Carry on...
You could always sand it back and repaint it!

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
To me, it's not really the look, as much as the feel of them I like. Bonus- if you get cymbal rash on the headstock, it's not fatal.
What we're learning is that your reasons don't make you any less pretentious.

Understand that some TGPers standing with their arms folded in the audience (they don't have a gig) will be judging you for your choices....and calling you various names to the imaginary woman they brought to your show. :D

telecopter

What we're learning is that your reasons don't make you any less pretentious.

Understand that some TGPers standing with their arms folded in the audience (they don't have a gig) will be judging you for your choices....and calling you various names to the imaginary woman they brought to your show. :D
Bwahhhhhh ha ha ha. You're great. Love it. I stayed away from TGP for a few years because of it, now I just laugh WITH it!!

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
I have put the hours in but the problem is.... I did not keep my first guitar. It sucks not having a well worn guitar to back this up. Please advise:). Is it ok to purchase a relic based on my years of earned time?
Really, THIS is the crux of the matter.

It's actually dishonest for a guy with decades of experience to play a guitar that looks new. This will lead to people assuming that you're just born with some kind of incredible gift and that you haven't had to put the hours in to get to where you are.

Imagine the kids this will affect and keep from picking up the guitar because they know they don't have you're innate talent (made so obvious by your pristine guitar).

Think of the children...

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Gold Supporting Member
F-ing poser! Should have never sold your first guitar....zero credibility. I don't even believe you;););)
I agree with you on the guitar part - it was a '53 Gold Top that I bought for $200. I got rid of it because it was too heavy.

I was a skinny kid. :)

bluesoul

I was a skinny kid. :)
Ah geez...now I find out that you couldn't man up and weight matters. If you couldn't handle 20 lbs of Northern ash strapped to your back for 4 hours a night back then you must be in need of a 7 lb tele now. Sure I could build ya one and relic it if you want, but are ya gonna feel good about it?

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
Relics are BS.
NOT.
You must be a real pro, can you share some of your music with us? Seriously, I’m always happy to hear new music, and it helps me to put things in perspective.

plaintopper

The funny (actually sad) thing about most of these anti-relic arguments is the irony. That so many people think the “hard gigging music life telling a story” narrative is some sort of incredibly noble pursuit ... that they feel their lives are somehow diminished by others buying a “phony” guitar.

Gimme a damn break.

The irony is that the people being pretentious here are the ones elevating what they do into something almost holy. It isn’t. It’s just gigs.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Ah geez...now I find out that you couldn't man up and weight matters. If you couldn't handle 20 lbs of Northern ash strapped to your back for 4 hours a night back then you must be in need of a 7 lb tele now. Sure I could build ya one and relic it if you want, but are ya gonna feel good about it?
My Dano's 6.5. :D

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Gold Supporting Member
I think you should send it my way so you can buy a manly guitar that weighs more than a mule. Not that I would want it but...My 2 year old granddaughter could use it as a starter!
I already have a 10 pound LP. Does that count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics