I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

What?
    What? :facepalm

2. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

It does..."time served":)

rhinocaster and makeitstop like this.
  3. bluesoul

I know how ya feel...I was trying to figure out what level of crazy that one was too....I threw the towel in and gave up. (hint)...there is not a way to explain it and make it make sense. Don't let it screw up a good nights sleep.

bullet6759 and rhinocaster like this.
  4. Yohimbe2

Yohimbe2 Member

When I was a teenager I bought a new skateboard. When I showed up to skate, my crew took turns beating up my board intentionally. Apparently, skating on a brand new skateboard was “not cool at all.” One guy new a trick where he could stand on the trucks and wheels and pile drive the skateboard into the pavement. (He must work for Fender now) yep, they Relic’d my skateboard back in the 80’s.

I didn’t care what anyone thought and would have gladly skated with it new.(it would have gotten old and beat up naturally) Same with a guitar for me, when it’s shiny new that’s great. When it’s old and beat up that’s great too.

Whatever floats your boat is cool. No need to get mad about it though.

Anacharsis, bluesoul and xmd5a like this.
  5. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

Hmmm... so if a person buys a vintage guitar which has wear and tear from previous owners, that makes the new owner a poser, right? Does this mean that whenever somebody buys a vintage guitar, they really should have it refinished in order to “reset it” to an un-worn condition?

6. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Right? I mean, what's with B.B. King getting a new Lucille every few years? Guy was a hack, trying to pretend he's a pro. Couldn't wear a guitar in like a real man..... smh.

It's almost like people should be allowed to play whatever they like. WTF is up with that bullshite? YOU'LL PLAY WHATEVER THE GUY WITH THE HANDLE LIKE A LICENSE PLATE TELLS YOU IS ACCEPTABLE TO PLAY, AND YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!

And below the Mendoza Line in everything else.

Anacharsis and makeitstop like this.
  7. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

I like how the relic owners frame this as "they won't allow us to play the guitars we like!!!1!" Why don't you let us hate things in peace? This is a hate thread, what are you even doing in here?

8. Defendant

Defendant Member

I got over it by playing FCS relic guitars. Generally speaking I've found them the best new guitars fender makes.

9. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

You are right. You win. Perfect arguments, totally logical. I don’t own a relic guitar, but if I ever feel compelled to buy one, I’ll keep in mind your words of wisdom. Thank you so much xmd5a!

bullet6759 and rhinocaster like this.
  10. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Dude, you're barely even making sense at this point. Take the L already.

chrisjw5, bullet6759 and rhinocaster like this.
  11. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Try reading it more slowly.

12. makeitstop

makeitstop Member

Nah, I got it. Go to bed.

13. bluesoul

Hate away...have at it.... not a big deal. The problem is: you continue to argue that you can judge people you have never even met based on what they buy. This self created stereo typing is absurd...and several members here have told you straight up reasons they buy relics and they are don't fit the profile you banter about, yet you continue the insanity.

I suppose I can play that dumb ass game too...your avatar suggests that you are a Brent Mason wanna be and own those paisley guitars so you can pretend to be him. Your hope is that at some point in your life, 500-600 gigs later just one dumbass eventually falls off the bar stool and asks for Brent Masons autograph....and there you are you give it to him! And now we finally know what pretentious means!
    Carry on!

14. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

Life's way too short to waste any time worrying about other musicians' gear that you hate.

Focus on the gear you love.

makeitstop, Anacharsis and bluesoul like this.
  15. bluesoul

We have a winner! Thankyou!

rhinocaster likes this.
  16. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

"Why don't you let us hate things in peace?"

There is absolutely no way to make this pathetic statement make sense. The OP asked for help...he probably didn't expect your inane commentary to show up in the thread. He knew that his hate was irrational but here we are with someone that needs to make this insanity make any kind of sense. What a joke...

makeitstop and bluesoul like this.
  17. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

That just makes your stupidity last longer.....

Thwap, makeitstop and bluesoul like this.
  18. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Stop right there, why is that actually a problem? Having the battery run out your tuner and having to make due by ear is a thousands times greater of a problem than a meaningless argument on the internet. All of this is inconsequential.

19. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

As I was saying a few pages back, people don't hate things for no reason, it has some sort of cause. And hate isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means you're passionate about something. For me, it's the fetishizing of all things vintage and American made, seeing good stuff made overseas, or good stuff made yesterday, get rejected out of hand. Having new guitarists think their $200 Squier they got for Christmas is crap, and that they should get a $2,000 MIA, but which will never be as good as a $20k 60's Strat, all because of the things they read on the Internet, is a disservice to them. Relic guitar's are the physical manifestation of that mindset, that old American guitars are superior to a new foreign made instrument. The people who own them say "I just like they way they look and play", and I just don't buy it. You have to pretend the last twenty years of Internet didn't happen to buy that.

20. bluesoul

Life is too short to argue with the wall...the ignore function on this site is pure magic. 10 years on this site and only 2 made the list. You my friend are #3!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.