I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet6759

They're not selling these guitars, they're buying them. It's about the look, not the resale value. The rock stars they're trying to emulate readily smash their guitars, resale value be damned.

I've never heard of those brands, I dont know they're new, the audience doesn't know they're new.

There is certainly no obvious sign that the guitars are not actually old. How is anybody supposed to know they're brand new, unless the relic job is shoddy?
What?
They're not selling these guitars, they're buying them. It's about the look, not the resale value. The rock stars they're trying to emulate readily smash their guitars, resale value be damned.

I've never heard of those brands, I dont know they're new, the audience doesn't know they're new.

There is certainly no obvious sign that the guitars are not actually old. How is anybody supposed to know they're brand new, unless the relic job is shoddy?
What? :facepalm

Coiled

When I was a teenager I bought a new skateboard. When I showed up to skate, my crew took turns beating up my board intentionally. Apparently, skating on a brand new skateboard was “not cool at all.” One guy new a trick where he could stand on the trucks and wheels and pile drive the skateboard into the pavement. (He must work for Fender now) yep, they Relic’d my skateboard back in the 80’s.

I didn’t care what anyone thought and would have gladly skated with it new.(it would have gotten old and beat up naturally) Same with a guitar for me, when it’s shiny new that’s great. When it’s old and beat up that’s great too.

Whatever floats your boat is cool. No need to get mad about it though.

danelectro

Supporting Member
Relics are BS.
It's for people that want the look of having put in 100,000 hrs of playing time..but really aren't that dedicated.
While they are at, why not buy a certified-authentic letter from some celeb (David Hasselhoff??) that sez how great it was when you sat in? Or maybe a photo-shopped pic of you and EVH at Namm. Sure..I get it..you're a guy that's paid DUES......
NOT.
Hmmm... so if a person buys a vintage guitar which has wear and tear from previous owners, that makes the new owner a poser, right? Does this mean that whenever somebody buys a vintage guitar, they really should have it refinished in order to “reset it” to an un-worn condition?

chrisjw5

It's actually dishonest for a guy with decades of experience to play a guitar that looks new. This will lead to people assuming that you're just born with some kind of incredible gift and that you haven't had to put the hours in to get to where you are.
Right? I mean, what's with B.B. King getting a new Lucille every few years? Guy was a hack, trying to pretend he's a pro. Couldn't wear a guitar in like a real man..... smh.

It's almost like people should be allowed to play whatever they like. WTF is up with that bullshite? YOU'LL PLAY WHATEVER THE GUY WITH THE HANDLE LIKE A LICENSE PLATE TELLS YOU IS ACCEPTABLE TO PLAY, AND YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!!

Argumentum ad populum

This guy is batting for the cycle with logical fallacies...
And below the Mendoza Line in everything else.

xmd5a

I like how the relic owners frame this as "they won't allow us to play the guitars we like!!!1!" Why don't you let us hate things in peace? This is a hate thread, what are you even doing in here?

Defendant

I got over it by playing FCS relic guitars. Generally speaking I've found them the best new guitars fender makes.

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
I like how the relic owners frame this as "they won't allow us to play the guitars we like!!!1!" Why don't you let us hate things in peace? This is a hate thread, what are you even doing in here?
You are right. You win. Perfect arguments, totally logical. I don’t own a relic guitar, but if I ever feel compelled to buy one, I’ll keep in mind your words of wisdom. Thank you so much xmd5a!

bluesoul

Hate away...have at it.... not a big deal. The problem is: you continue to argue that you can judge people you have never even met based on what they buy. This self created stereo typing is absurd...and several members here have told you straight up reasons they buy relics and they are don't fit the profile you banter about, yet you continue the insanity.

I suppose I can play that dumb ass game too...your avatar suggests that you are a Brent Mason wanna be and own those paisley guitars so you can pretend to be him. Your hope is that at some point in your life, 500-600 gigs later just one dumbass eventually falls off the bar stool and asks for Brent Masons autograph....and there you are you give it to him! And now we finally know what pretentious means!
Carry on!

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
"Why don't you let us hate things in peace?"

There is absolutely no way to make this pathetic statement make sense. The OP asked for help...he probably didn't expect your inane commentary to show up in the thread. He knew that his hate was irrational but here we are with someone that needs to make this insanity make any kind of sense. What a joke...

xmd5a

Hate away...have at it.... not a big deal. The problem is: you continue to argue that you can judge p...
Stop right there, why is that actually a problem? Having the battery run out your tuner and having to make due by ear is a thousands times greater of a problem than a meaningless argument on the internet. All of this is inconsequential.

xmd5a

Life's way too short to waste any time worrying about other musicians' gear that you hate.
As I was saying a few pages back, people don't hate things for no reason, it has some sort of cause. And hate isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means you're passionate about something. For me, it's the fetishizing of all things vintage and American made, seeing good stuff made overseas, or good stuff made yesterday, get rejected out of hand. Having new guitarists think their $200 Squier they got for Christmas is crap, and that they should get a $2,000 MIA, but which will never be as good as a $20k 60's Strat, all because of the things they read on the Internet, is a disservice to them. Relic guitar's are the physical manifestation of that mindset, that old American guitars are superior to a new foreign made instrument. The people who own them say "I just like they way they look and play", and I just don't buy it. You have to pretend the last twenty years of Internet didn't happen to buy that.

bluesoul

Stop right there, why is that actually a problem? Having the battery run out your tuner and having to make due by ear is a thousands times greater of a problem than a meaningless argument on the internet. All of this is inconsequential.
Life is too short to argue with the wall...the ignore function on this site is pure magic. 10 years on this site and only 2 made the list. You my friend are #3!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics