I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

I'm honored, thank you.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

So you think they're lying...but we KNOW you're a liar......so here we are.

chrisjw5, makeitstop and Relicula like this.
  3. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

What if I am a liar? What does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

4. rhinocaster

No "what if" here.....I suppose you'll find out what happens in the grand scheme of things.

The funny thing is you could have just owned it but that was too big an ask of you. You're a joke from here on out on TGP.

budglo58 likes this.
  5. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Maybe, but you still have to live with the fact that you own a relic'd guitar.

6. rhinocaster

But I don't...awww...what your got next?

7. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Maybe you're a liar? You seem waaaay to disturbed by my dislike for relics not to have some skin in the game.

JoeBatadatz likes this.
  8. rhinocaster

Well, you'd have to establish that I'm a liar like we've established that with you.......and I have no "skin in the game" as I own no relics. So, again, you have nothing...

You want to finally address your attempt at redacting your post and claiming that you never said what you said? You keep pretending like it doesn't exist. It makes you the joke of the year...

9. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

You're coming off as a little unhinged.

budglo58 likes this.
  10. rhinocaster

Coming from a liar, that doesn't mean much. :)

EDIT: Honestly, none of it means much, but it does stick in my craw when someone blatantly lies here. Different opinions are fine but when someone decides to lie and manipulate like you did in this thread, I find it extremely distasteful and I can't imagine that person sticking around and pretending like it didn't happen.

But you be you!

chrisjw5 and Anacharsis like this.
  11. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I think they feel better. That's all I need to know.

makeitstop likes this.
  12. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

I get where you are coming from with this post. And forums are weird places, not always conducive to making a point. Trying to help those who want to learn and learn from those who want to help, maybe they are better for that.

Isn't there a flipside to how your perspective could be used? What you are implying is that there is sleeper gear people are overlooking? Couldn't finding underhyped, underpriced gear be a spin on that point of view?

That is what I do. And I don't care if anyone doesn't like my modded plywood Korean Squier, it rocks. And I don't worry about what others are chasing too much either.

Anacharsis likes this.
  13. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

"underhyped, underpriced" gear is sort of an oxymoron because the hype drives up the price. I'll call attention to a Joyo pedals, or Tonerider pickups or VM Squiers that are 99% of the more expensive counterparts at 25% of the cost, but the bias towards expensive vintage spec gear is a hurricane force wind. Companies like Fender and Gibson dump tons of money into marketing the idea. Aging rock stars talk nostalgically in interviews about their old gear from the 60's. I'm not happy that a lot of said rock stars will be passing in the next decade, but maybe some of the vintage craze will go with them.

JoeBatadatz likes this.
  14. The_Bell

The_Bell Member

I like Tonerider in the older CV I tried. I am planning on giving my nephew a VM soon for his first axe - because everyone needs a black strat.

My thought was just related to not worrying about what others want, like, appreciate, value etc. I'm gonna stop watching this thread, I think it is past its prime.

15. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

This is valid because Fender is taking their best woods, materials, time and talent and putting it into relic guitars. So if you want a nice FCS you'll have to hunt hard to find a good FCS NOS like I finally did. They are available, but not as common.

The fact that a new relic instrument fetches far more than a used instrument with honest play wear is comical and proof that the relic crowd is more into superficial than genuine.

Thank goodness previous generations took better care of their things so we have vintage instruments that are still playable. Can you imagine what they'd be like if Leo Fender was dunking them in salt water to form rust and dragging them across a driveway, artificially aging plastics and exposing wood to the elements 70 years ago?

You can make a guitar have that great "played in feel" by having a properly shaped and finished neck. Rusting a bridge, gouging a body, cracking finish or denting a headstock does absolutely nothing for tone or play ability. It's all fake aesthetic and negatively affects the lifespan of the instrument.

But, as I said earlier, I try to just move on because I can get really worked up about it.

And as an aside: MANY guitars are being made better today than they were in the 50's and 60's. Gilmour himself said he can't tell the difference.

JoeBatadatz and xmd5a like this.
  16. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Imagine what Leo Fender would think if he saw the relic craze, "I could have just not finished the guitars at all."

If people like relics for the feel, any of that can be done without faux aging. Satin neck finish and rolled edges, for example, take away the sharper edges and sticky gloss typically associated with new guitars.

17. CassetteTape

CassetteTape Member

Sorry, this just isn't true. The components, materials, woods and finishes are different. A quarter-sawn piece of perfect maple for a neck comes at a cost and provides tuning stability and longevity to the instrument. The butter smooth fret ends and rolled fretboard edges vs snagging cheaper frets and sharp edges is a very different experience. Also, pickups, fretboard radius and even frets themselves are different options from FMC that aren't available on other models. You don't "need" the higher end guitar but to think a $200 Squier is 99% of a Fender Custom Shop or boutique build? A Mexican strat with a little work might be 50%. An AVRI could be 75% based on those I've owned and played. But 99%?

Also, The best Strats aren't even made by Fender. The best Les Pauls aren't made by Gibson. Many boutique builders have better instruments, but they aren't necessarily less money. If you want the best strat ever, just get a PRS Silver Sky.

18. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

The thing about an arbitrary number is that it's arbitrary. I have $300 VM's and a $2k AVRI to compare, and I think a lot of what you mention is blown out of proportion for it's own sake. Rolling the fret board, you can do that at home in a few minutes with a file. Other aspects of quality, not worse, just trivially different, often vintage correctness for it's own sake.

Well that's just common sense.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  19. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Do those Paisley Tele's come in a men's version?

bluesoul, makeitstop and Relicula like this.
  20. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

To add, if a guitarist never read about all this wonkish details like woods and materials, and were none the wiser about brand or price point snobbery, it would definitely seems like a <1% difference. They don't see if the body it two piece or seven piece. They don't know if the finish is lacquer or urethane, or if the pots and caps are vintage style under the hood, or even that theres a difference in the first place. A new guitarists has to be educated about why they should want a $2k AVRI, because I assure you it's not readily apparent.

If we're talking from an audience's perspective, the difference is easily less than 1%. If you put tape over the logo, the difference would become 0%.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.