I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lexbro

Lexbro Member

It was pure truth

stonem likes this.
  2. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Supporting Member

Back to the OP: Read some of the strident, irrational, dishonest, and/or plain old weird posts in this thread from the truly relic-angry. That'll cure you right up.

rhinocaster and makeitstop like this.
  3. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I don't care what others think, I don't like Spam. Dress it up however you like but it's still just SPAM!

alfaphlex likes this.
  4. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'm not reading all 36 pages of replies before I add my 2 cents...I read maybe 3 pages, so there...but I'm another one in the camp of people who don't 'get' relic'd guitars and by don't get them I mean to say I don't know why someone would pay a premium for a guitar that looks like crap when brand new.
    I mean, I get that we do this with distressed furniture and ripped jeans, but I'm not real keen on either of those trends as well. We do not do this with vehicles. Even the average rat rod is not going to exceed the cost of an average new car and no one is rushing to the dealerships to buy a 2019 Mustang that is beat to hell and paying more for it than a new GT350, but somehow we have justified this exact practice with guitars and some folks are okay with it.

Whatever. Unlike the OP, I have no anger because of this, but I simply chalk it up to another sort of dumb thing that people do with their money.

JoeBatadatz, xmd5a, yquy and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Time to join "MAR"
    Mothers Against Relics

6. lost sailor

lost sailor Member

It ain't a real relic until you've played it for 25 years while eating fried chicken without a napkin

PixMix, xmd5a, yquy and 1 other person like this.
  7. pinfloi

pinfloi Member

I also hate the stupid relic guitars hype

My brand new Shecter USA Custom Shop Nick Johntson has lowered the resale value because I've caused a big dent at the body (I dropped it over the edge of the table while I was sitting).

But the relic version of the same guitar, with a retail price 30% higher, would not be de-valuated if you further scratch it. This is silly

If I ever sell that guitar I should increase the price, because that is an authentic relic dent, not artificially made at the factory. And wait for some idiot to pay extra $$ for it :cool:

8. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

That companies like Novo charge a premium for lack of a fine finish is hilarious to me. I know, value is what a willing buyer will pay but I see it as "a fool and their money are soon parted.". Makes more sense to distress the finish of a Squier Tele/Strat, Epi LP, etc. to get the look of a Clapton Strat or Duane Allman's LP.

flysky578 likes this.
  9. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Thankfully, you can not relic the finish of the cheaper guitars because the thick poly finish will not lend itself to being relic'd.

10. HD77

HD77 Supporting Member

I don't mind them, but what I do mind is that it seems like Fender is only making relics, and I prefer the NOS versions. They cost less and I feel like I can get a better idea of the quality of the guitar before its beat up. Plus I like to do the relicing!

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

o_O:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:eek:o_O:D

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

My irrationality about relic-ing is a step further. I went years finding all of it utterly bonkers, then one day a specific Novo with really mild relic work caught my eye. I bought it.

It was the first guitar of my 30+ year habit that I didn’t feel like tweaking a single thing on. Not even a quarter turn on a pickup height. I immediately started creating with it.

Then, when I accidentally bumped the body on a door one day, a realized I didn’t need to give a crap. Now, one could argue that I don’t NEED to give a crap when I accidentally ding a brand new un-relic’d guitar, but I always do—same as the first dent on a new car.

I now own 2 Novos out of my 11 electrics. Both have really mild relic work. But for some reason I still can’t get past the heavy relic work I see on Fenders and Gibsons. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

So I’m the worst of all—a hypocrite relic owner who still dislikes relics!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    makeitstop and gtrdave like this.
  13. NotWesYet

NotWesYet Member

I like relics because by comparison I don't look so old.

But I am still wondering about the Joe Stummer Telecaster that Guitar Center had on sale at a "scratch and dent" sale...

Tommy Biggs and budglo58 like this.
  14. johnsav

johnsav Member

I'm surprised relics are so provocative for some people.
    I kind of want one now.
    I'll start a relic band where all our gear is relic'd- rusty mics, frayed cords, dented drums and the relicyest guitars available.
    Apparently some folks will absolutely lose their sh!t.

PixMix, bluesoul and whatdisay like this.
  15. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I’ve been following this thread and watching it run off the rails guided by on person. Other than that there has been decent discussion to be had. I totally get some of the frustration . There seems to be a lot of relic guitars out there, but there are also a decent amount of NOS and Closet Classic Fenders as well and they are cheaper too.

To some , the relic just isn’t a deal breaker. A great guitar is a great guitar. There are also different levels of relicing as well, but everyone wants to lump it all together . That’s like putting ripped and torn new jeans in the same category as stone washed jeans.

It’s a shame that everyone isn’t still gigging with their first guitar . Personally I’m thankful that I’m not still playing my 70s hondo semi hollow body or my Carlos acoustic. I probably would have given up playing at some point because those guitars we’re crap. As my income increased , so did the quality of my gear. I honestly don’t buy gear dependant on what random people think. I have a D18 Martin I bought new that I put whatever wear on it that’s there , I have a 1972 D35 that some one else put wear on that I got a great deal on ,a AVRI 59 thinskin that was a gift from my wife and a fcs 59 journeyman relic that you couldn’t tell it’s a relic standing 2 feet away. I have gigged all of them . Just not self conscious about what other people think. Too many other real life things to worry about.

NotWesYet and makeitstop like this.
  16. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

Bonus points for 'relicyest'.
    :D

makeitstop and johnsav like this.
  17. johnsav

johnsav Member

PixMix, makeitstop and NotWesYet like this.
  18. XTC Blue

XTC Blue Silver Supporting Member

HA! Authentic relics.
    Not sure my $49 K-Mart strat clone would have stayed together for the past 46 years.

budglo58 likes this.
  19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I certainly dont get it. I have inexpensive guitars I try to keep as nice as possible. Ive pondered the fact I didnt have a lot growing up as a possible reason.

My newest $60 guitar. Fighting entropy I'll try to keep it as nice as possible, lol.
    [​IMG]

HERSCHEL likes this.
  20. RayRay

RayRay Gold Supporting Member

Just goes to show TGP is not the end all and be all of guitar consumer opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.