I think I've got issues...relics make me angry

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarjazz

I realize this is utterly irrational, but whenever I see a relic for sale, I feel a twinge of anger.

I try to tell myself that this feeling is unwarranted, and that people can spend their money any way they wish, and 'live and let live' and all that, but I can't help it. It just seems so phony to me, and phoniness gets under my skin like nothing else.

I saw a relic for sale on Craigslist the other day, and the CASE was relic-ed as well. I can understand having a guitar that feels worn in, but the case? really?

Anyway, suggestions for overcoming this affliction would be greatly appreciated.
The irony is that many of the relic'd owners are the same guys that polish their guitars every week.

tjbrokaw4

Read about two pages of the 37. Who cares... None of this discussion is making us better musicians. Let’s stick to stuff that makes us better musicians, helps us make better informed decisions on purchasing gear, and helps us better use the gear we have.

Johnny_guitar

So here's a little thought experiment...
Consider a film like Apocalypse Now, or Lawrence of Arabia. The soldiers are fake, the blood is fake, the wounds are fake, the wardrobe is fake, and the sets are fake. Everything about these films is as phony as a three dollar bill.
Does enjoying these movies make you a poseur? If you want to experience war, shouldn't you join the army or sign up as a war correspondent?

AaeCee

Supporting Member
I realize this is utterly irrational, but whenever I see a relic for sale, I feel a twinge of anger.
Gotta say that although I like relics and am always bewildered by such negative reactions from some, I greatly admire this thread.

Your candor is not only admirable, but truly hits the pulse of the controversial nature of this subject.

chrisjw5

I don't know why someone would pay a premium for a guitar that looks like crap when brand new.
I think you're making a point that doesn't actually exist. One does not have to pay a premium for relic guitars. If someone wants to go Custom Shop, they can, but it's not necessary. I have an Edwards version of the Jimmy Page Les Paul that is the best Les Paul I've ever played. I've owned and sold a half dozen expensive Gibsons, and then this plopped into my lap at $900.

A used Mark Jenny relic Telecaster just came my way, every bit as good as a much more expensive Fender, for $800.

I'm not trying to change your mind about relics, just pointing out that one does not have to pay a premium for them. The Roadworn Strats and Teles can be had for a grand.

Thank goodness previous generations took better care of their things so we have vintage instruments that are still playable.
Huh? Have you ever seen what some 70's guys did to 50s and 60s Strats? Eddie Van Halen, bless him, inspired a set of war crimes against older Strats.

What you're seeing left is a small group of guitars that were put in a closet after a month of lessons.

Last edited:

Defendant

This is valid because Fender is taking their best woods, materials, time and talent and putting it into relic guitars. So if you want a nice FCS you'll have to hunt hard to find a good FCS NOS like I finally did. They are available, but not as common.
Accurate.

The fact that a new relic instrument fetches far more than a used instrument with honest play wear is comical and proof that the relic crowd is more into superficial than genuine.
Depends on the instrument. Did that instrument get the same care in selection and construction as the guitar mentioned in the paragraph at the top of this post? In maaaaany cases, probably not. So they could just be average guitars with play wear.

Thank goodness previous generations took better care of their things so we have vintage instruments that are still playable. Can you imagine what they'd be like if Leo Fender was dunking them in salt water to form rust and dragging them across a driveway, artificially aging plastics and exposing wood to the elements 70 years ago?
The vintage guitars available today are a subset of what was made. Plenty were mishandled, beaten up and destroyed, just like modern guitars. And the prevalence of refinishes out there show just how damageable the finishes were.

But, as I said earlier, I try to just move on because I can get really worked up about it.
Take the dog for a walk. And try not to visit cafes in Paris.

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
I certainly dont get it. I have inexpensive guitars I try to keep as nice as possible. Ive pondered the fact I didnt have a lot growing up as a possible reason.

My newest $60 guitar. Fighting entropy I'll try to keep it as nice as possible, lol.
That's the thing, I gig my guitars regularly...play them every day. They still look new for the most part as I really take care of my things. I owned a white Top Hat amp that I gigged for 7 years and had hundreds of shows with and it still basically looked new when I sold it.

I have an appreciation for super clean and beautiful guitars like in your photo above, I also like the look of lightly worn guitar as well as something beat to hell. I'll never end up with a guitar that looks like a relic because I take such good care of my gear.....so if I want that aesthetic I have to buy a vintage road dog or a relic. The road dog doesn't appeal much due to vintage prices and the fact the the guitar would likely have issues consistent with so much wear...so a relic makes the most sense for me if I want something to look it that.

It's also worth remembering that most relic owners own non relics as well. Speaking for myself and the relic owners I know, I can say that we just like guitars and they absolutely don't make us angry....they're the kind of people I like to associate with. Certainly a more fun crowd that the guys that get angry over a guitar finish. :)

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Gold Supporting Member
I think you're making a point that doesn't actually exist. One does not have to pay a premium for relic guitars. If someone wants to go Custom Shop, they can, but it's not necessary. I have an Edwards version of the Jimmy Page Les Paul that is the best Les Paul I've ever played. I've owned and sold a half dozen expensive Gibsons, and then this plopped into my lap at $900.

A used Mark Jenny relic Telecaster just came my way, every bit as good as a much more expensive Fender, for $800.
I got my Dano just before Dan announced he was done, for pretty much the 'going rate' before prices went through the roof. Not cheap, but pretty reasonable for what I got!

Huh? Have you ever seen what some 70's guys did to 50s and 60s Strats? Eddie Van Halen, bless him, inspired a set of war crimes against older Strats.
When I was young, kinda stupid and lacking power tools, I actually took a hammer and chisel to a '61 Strat in order to put a humbucker in it. A friend and I used to get old Melody Makers for cheap and mess them all up in a number of ways. But they weren't vintage then, they were just old guitars that we got for cheap.

budglo58

Sometimes I think people wayyyy overthink stuff.

I need / want another guitar.
I find guitar in my price range.
I play said guitar.
I love how it plays and sounds.
The finish is something I either can live with or love.
I buy said guitar.

If it fails to meet any of the above categories, I put it back . Not really complicated.

chrisjw5

It's also worth remembering that most relic owners own non relics as well. Speaking for myself and the relic owners I know, I can say that we just like guitars and they absolutely don't make us angry....they're the kind of people I like to associate with. Certainly a more fun crowd that the guys that get angry over a guitar finish. :)
And here we are. I own a PRS Singlecut that looks almost new and I try to keep it looking tip-top. I have an '86 Schecter that I bought two years ago that someone has put some miles on, but it looks great considering its age - I wouldn't call it a relic, just well-played. I've got my Page Les Paul that came aged like Jimmy's. And I just bought an MJT Tele because a) I wanted a Tele and b) I think Teles should look like this. Pristine Teles don't do it for me at all.

And I think this is sexy as hell.

I love them all for different reasons, but I look at relicing as an aesthetic choice. No different than a metallic finish or a paisley finish or an oil rub.

Last edited:

rhinocaster

Supporting Member
And here we are. I own a PRS Singlecut that looks almost new and I try to keep it looking tip-top. I have an '86 Schecter that I bought two years ago that someone has put some miles on, but it looks great considering its age - I wouldn't call it a relic, just well-played. I've got my Page Les Paul that came aged like Jimmy's. And I just bought an MJT Tele because a) I wanted a Tele and b) I think Teles should look like this. Pristine Teles don't do it for me at all.

I love them all for different reasons, but I look at relicing as an aesthetic choice. No different than a metallic finish or a paisley finish or an oil rub.
I like that Tele! I know that I'll never be able to put that kind of wear on a guitar so relics are a reasonable option if I want that aesthetic. The blackguard in the photo has seen probably 300 shows and still looks new from 3 feet away. I love the ultra clean look of the blue one...but I really liked a ruby sparkle CS Fender relic Tele I had and would like to find another someday. It was such a fun guitar to play

I just like guitars! :D

Anacharsis

I look at relicing as an aesthetic choice. No different than a metallic finish or a paisley finish or an oil rub.
Or a sunburst! I keep mentioning this, but sunburst is the Rosetta Stone here. It's an artificially aged-look finish that has become so widely accepted as to even garner praise from most relic-haters!

...and I intensely dislike both sunbursts and relics! Both look ugly to me! The popularity of both doesn't make me angry at all.

Preferences are funny things. It's almost as though they're...personal.

xmd5a

Becoming angry over a guitar finish is as close to "getting angry for the sake of getting angry" as you can get. It definitely ties back to something. Oh boy.
I think what's weirder is people get so angry at me for having anger towards relics, going so far as to hate on my avatar and username, neither of which has ever come up in conversation before. It seems the call to "live and let live" only works in one direction.

toomanyamps

.... I'm not the first or last person to have described relics as being fake and pretentious. You can argue with me about the merits of them being described as such, but I didn't invent this idea, I just share in it.
Out of curiosity do you really think the vast majority of "rockstar" lead guitar players aren't being "fake and pretentious "?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics