1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Think I've Had It with Buying OD Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Marc Roy, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I don't know how many I've bought in the past year and a half (probably close to a dozen), and I think I'm gonna call it quits for a while. Every time I try something new, I keep coming back to my Barber Burn Unit EQ through my Dr. Z. It feels like I've gone through a lot: Lovepedal, Fulltone, Jetter Gear, Xotic, Zendrive, Eden Analog, Diamond, BJF, CMATMODS... all good pedals in their own right, but not really my thing, I guess.

There's just something about the BUEQ (especially when set on the "tweed" setting) that sounds more amp-like than everything else I've tried (to my ear anyways). I find TS-style pedals don't work that well for me. The Barber just has "it". Also sounds good with a compressor in front. I also tried the Direct Drive a while back, and was really impressed too. Tempted to pick that one up as well, as a match for the BUEQ.

I never thought I'd say it, but I think my setup is pretty much finished for a while.

2. utterhack

utterhack Member

That's less than one a month, man!

3. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

True but, but I gotta know when to say when sometimes. This place is a bad influence.:D

4. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I agree with you on the BU. and in combination with the TPEQ it's just absolute magic. My final OD pedal will be the KOT, which should be coming any day now. I'll put it up against the BU/TP combo, and the winner stays and everything else goes on the block.

5. giggedy

giggedy Member

I'll say my overdrive search is done for a little while (if you count klon as a boost). I'm going to look for some other sounds, like the HOG. My next few purchases will definitely not be an overdrive pedal.

6. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'm on the list for a KOT, but it's gonna be a while for me. I got on the list this summer.

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I hear ya! Now I just accept whats good enough and just play:cool:

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

After getting KOT last week, I'm done for a while.

9. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

I think most of the boutique overdrives don't have enough eq control on them. Usually, most of us are using our overdrives as a 2nd or 3rd channel, distinct from our clean tone. Well sometimes a little extra midrange helps your lead guitar tone cut through a band mix. Sometimes, you need to trim the brightness of the tone because of a certain guitar you're using. A single tone knob is really not adequate guys...even my Sony TV has bass and treble controls...why not put 3 or 4 band eq on ALL overdrive pedals, just like the best mixing boards have?

10. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

What's it like? I've heard it describes as one of the best low gainers out there.

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

yeah, that pretty much describes it. Less gain than I thought, but I've worked out the kinks. There are an amazing amount of sounds that can come out of it.

12. utterhack

utterhack Member

It's arguably the best low-gainer out there.

Really :)

13. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I'll probably be able to tell you in a few years....

14. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Yeah... I'm about calling it quits too. I have tried soooo many pedals. I'm back to square 1 with a Boss OD3 which was my first pedal. It sounds fine! I tried a lot of high priced overdrives which sounded good, but not amazing (or as good as natural amp OD).

The problem is that I have a specific OD sound that I would like to get, I just haven't found a pedal that can do it yet.

15. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    good for you - whatever sounds best to you is the way to go and if that ends your OD search and spending $$ on ODs, that's awesome...

i always feel like i'm done with buying ODs until i log back on to this forum.... however, i think my timmy may have ended my search though... hopefully...

16. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

I just got a '57 Tweed Deluxe RI and I've put all my pedals away for a while. It's very liberating and sounds awesome!

17. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yep, I found my OD too. Now you need to start on fuzz. ;-)

18. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I can relate. It is certainly mix and match. I have a timmy and a bb preamp and while they are good they sounded not so good when connected to each other. I thought it was something like an impedance mismatch between the two pedals. Well I found a way to bypass my amps preamp and plug straight in to the power amp and now they both sound great. So it was the goofy preamp and not the pedals. What else... I put on a new set of strings on my tele and it sounded like a different (and great) guitar. You never know... you just have to keep trying combinations. Even raising your pickups higher or low can change the drive dramatically going to your pedals.

19. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

Then you need to start on Distortion
    I'm still on overdrives ( long away to go )

20. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Not only am I stopping my purchases of OD's, I'm selling off a bunch.

Just sold my Ethos TLE :eek: and Dumb Bell :eek: to TGP'rs. :NUTS

I'm on the list for a tim and Timmy, so when they are ready, I might be done. But I do have an interest in an Xotic BB Preamp. :bkw