• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I think my next amp will be an Alessandro: Need some owner's guidance please

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
After a great deal of reading and educating myself on Alessandro amps, I think getting one will be right move for me. Unfortunately, I have never heard one in-person, but I love the clips made by Glman as well as some clips from the NC Amp Fest. Here's where I'm at in my decision process:

I am a home player and therefore will only require the lowest wattage amp. That narrows it down to the Beagle (10 watts, EL 84, little brother to the English), the Plott Hound (10 watts, 6V6, little brother to the Blue Tick), or the Black 'n Tan (15 watts, EL34, KT66, or 6L6). I'm thinking the either the Plott or the Beagle might be the choices for me, as I already have a Fender amp with 6L6's and a Boogie with EL34's (hence, the BnT might be similar to some extent).

I want a good blues sound with my P90's, single coils, and humbucker guitars. I think either the Beagle or Plott might do it. Help me decide, please- Will the Beagle (EL84's) sound similar to my 1974x (two EL84's)? I don't know what the circuit in the Beagle supposed to emulate- or if it's an original voice. I can bet the Plott with 6V6's will get me a good Fender tweed-type blues tone. Just wondering if one will get me a good raunchy blues tone over the other.

Also, can't EL84 amps accept 6V6 tubes as well (or do I have to rebias?).

Any input would be much appreciated!!

Paul86

Hi skhan,
Use the search button and look for glman. He's a member here, and he's posted an excellent clip of the English, which is the Beagle's big brother. That will give you a very good idea of what to expect.
You can also search for the Plott, I think cnardone, another member, posted some clips too.
Good luck in your purchase. Rest assured, anything you buy from Alessandro will sound great.

glman

After a great deal of reading and educating myself on Alessandro amps, I think getting one will be right move for me. Unfortunately, I have never heard one in-person, but I love the clips made by Glman as well as some clips from the NC Amp Fest. Here's where I'm at in my decision process:

I am a home player and therefore will only require the lowest wattage amp. That narrows it down to the Beagle (10 watts, EL 84, little brother to the English), the Plott Hound (10 watts, 6V6, little brother to the Blue Tick), or the Black 'n Tan (15 watts, EL34, KT66, or 6L6). I'm thinking the either the Plott or the Beagle might be the choices for me, as I already have a Fender amp with 6L6's and a Boogie with EL34's (hence, the BnT might be similar to some extent).

I want a good blues sound with my P90's, single coils, and humbucker guitars. I think either the Beagle or Plott might do it. Help me decide, please- Will the Beagle (EL84's) sound similar to my 1974x (two EL84's)? I don't know what the circuit in the Beagle supposed to emulate- or if it's an original voice. I can bet the Plott with 6V6's will get me a good Fender tweed-type blues tone. Just wondering if one will get me a good raunchy blues tone over the other.

Also, can't EL84 amps accept 6V6 tubes as well (or do I have to rebias?).

Any input would be much appreciated!!
Hi - I have an Alessandro English and a Bluetick - if I were to start all over again I would definitely go for the Beagle
10 watts is plenty. - also I prefer the cleans of EL84's compared to 6V6's - the only thing 6V6's have going for them is that they definitely have a thicker lead tone - but to my ears the El84's in my English have much more character and the breakup is unique - remember the Alessandro English is not really a rock type amp but more bluesy - I read in your post that you've heard my clips - remember the Alessandro stuff sounds best with really good RCA 5691 " QUIET" pre am tubes and it goes through output tubes about every 3-4 months depending on how often you play - this is a small price to pay for the amazing tone these amps have.
when I first got my English it was good but not great - it needed the tubes I mentioned and also at least 6-12 months of break in time - I know it sounds far fetched but it really does open up and sweeten with time.
finally - to my ears the English - and probably the Beagle too don't have a really punchy type lead tone but more sweet and unique - it takes some getting used to - the 6V6 Bluetick on the other hand has a thicker punchier meatier lead tone but like I said before - the English is more to my taste
My English through a 4x12 V30 equipped cab sounds a bit marshally - but it definitely doesn't sound like a 1974x from what I remember.
Unfortunately a lot of people that do have Alessandro amps don't have the facility to make decent clips so it's difficult to make an informed decision.
if you like the tone I'm getting on my clips you won't be disappointed BUT - remember the RCA 5691's and remember - EVERYTIME you feel it's not sounding all that great - check your output tubes - the class a circuit really chews up output tubes a lot faster than my other EL84 amps
i find that JJ's and even the sovteks sound really good in my English and I'm leaning towards the Sovtek EL84's right now cause i've heard that they're really long lasting so I'm checking them out .
Good luck
just a note.
my English definitely has more gain than the Bluetick but it also has awesome cleans
Bluetick is more fender
English ( and probably the beagle ) is more Vox - Marshally - -

adamzappa

Glman is agood friend of mine and I have played his English many times. Its akiller amp for quiet clean or crunch sounds. It has great compression and a lovely full sound but when you play it on 10 it tends to get a bit fizzy. It all depends on what you want to play but for high gain its not the best. It is a killer amp though.

glman

Glman is agood friend of mine and I have played his English many times. Its akiller amp for quiet clean or crunch sounds. It has great compression and a lovely full sound but when you play it on 10 it tends to get a bit fizzy. It all depends on what you want to play but for high gain its not the best. It is a killer amp though.
hi adam - you're 90% right but NB my amp has changed since you last heard it - i have to agree that i tend to avoid diming the amp and guitar as it gets too compressed but I'm sure that you have to agree that overall the clean sounds and the semi dirty sounds are unique to this amp.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks so much guys. George, you're always a great source of info, so thanks!!! What you've described makes me lean toward the Plott a bit more because of the comment regarding the "thicker, punchier, meatier lead tone." Sounds like you're describing the blues! Doesn't your Blue Tick have four EL34's or are they in fact 6V6?

I'll also check for the member Paul mentioned to see if I can hear some Plott clips. It sounds like I cannot go wrong with either. And I'll be sure to note the 5691 RCA's as well.

glman

Thanks so much guys. George, you're always a great source of info, so thanks!!! What you've described makes me lean toward the Plott a bit more because of the comment regarding the "thicker, punchier, meatier lead tone." Sounds like you're describing the blues! Doesn't your Blue Tick have four EL34's or are they in fact 6V6?

I'll also check for the member Paul mentioned to see if I can hear some Plott clips. It sounds like I cannot go wrong with either. And I'll be sure to note the 5691 RCA's as well.
my bluetick has 4 EL34's at the moment - i tried 6V6's but I prefer the EL34's - it definitely has more meat than the english but don't say I haven't warned you - the English has " The best cleans " I've ever experienced yet!!!
The bluetick is kinda better for soloing but I don't really care for the cleans - they're too thick for my taste but they're both great " keeper " amps - you cant go wrong - the plott will be great for sure.
also the OD of the English is a lot more complex and refined than the bluetick - the bluetick sounds more traditional to my ears - think Derek Trucks - with a Les Paul, and My bluetick into a marshall 4x12 cab with Celestion V30's I can really Nail the derek trucks tone - really !

Millo 3.1

Hey guys... anyone recommend the Black N Tan? Is it a real tone chameleon w/ the tube-swapping possibilities? IS it smooth w/ all those different tube-types? Thanks!

glman

Glman,

Tell me if you think the Plott or Beagle would get me to this sound. These are clips of Paul Plumeri from NJ, who plays Alessandro amps (just don't know which one he has).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0uHh_aWPSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nQG8VL60U&feature=related
I haven't played either the Beagle or the Plott but from my experience with the Bluetick i would have to say that it sounds like the plott will get you closer to that kinda sound - the English has a much more refined OD it's much finer grained for use of a better word
The bluetick is thicker and meatier and a bit harder - grainier/meaner sounding - kinda like the clip - Think derek Trucks.

So I would say the Plott is your best bet - but I remember Paul playing working Dog Alessandro amps - if you can, - Call George and ask him.
- remember there's not a lot of clean headroom in the 10 watt amps but plenty of quality tone - for small gigs or home playing, the 10 watt amps are more than enough - believe me - 10 watts RMS is plenty loud! - it's just not a lot of clean headroom for loud clean rhythm playing

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't played either the Beagle or the Plott but from my experience with the Bluetick i would have to say that it sounds like the plott will get you closer to that kinda sound - the English has a much more refined OD it's much finer grained for use of a better word
The bluetick is thicker and meatier and a bit harder - grainier/meaner sounding - kinda like the clip - Think derek Trucks.

So I would say the Plott is your best bet - but I remember Paul playing working Dog Alessandro amps - if you can, - Call George and ask him.
- remember there's not a lot of clean headroom in the 10 watt amps but plenty of quality tone - for small gigs or home playing, the 10 watt amps are more than enough - believe me - 10 watts RMS is plenty loud! - it's just not a lot of clean headroom for loud clean rhythm playing
Great! Thanks Glman. I was thinking the Plott Hound might be the way to go. On those two Youtube videos of Paul Plumeri, you can see the Alessandro high end amp in the background with the "Hound Dog" logo, so I know he's playing something from the high-end line. I'll try to reach George A. and ask him. 99% of the time when I call, I get the answering machine.

guitarman_1

Gold Supporting Member
None of the alessandro amps will get you that distortion, (like on paul's you tube) without pedals. Ive had them all, and some twice.Great cleans, but they dont have that type of gain at all.I thought the best cleans where the English, but the BNT was my fave by far.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
None of the alessandro amps will get you that distortion, (like on paul's you tube) without pedals. Ive had them all, and some twice.Great cleans, but they dont have that type of gain at all.I thought the best cleans where the English, but the BNT was my fave by far.
Thanks for this advice. Because I have no interest/use/application for a clean sound, do you advise that I look into other manufacturers? I don't want to get an amp only to be forced to use it with pedals to achieve a blues tone.

glman

Great! Thanks Glman. I was thinking the Plott Hound might be the way to go. On those two Youtube videos of Paul Plumeri, you can see the Alessandro high end amp in the background with the "Hound Dog" logo, so I know he's playing something from the high-end line. I'll try to reach George A. and ask him. 99% of the time when I call, I get the answering machine.
The "bullet" youtube clip sounds very like my English - I cant be sure but I can tell you that by looking at his volume knob on the amp , his gain is really low - if you listen to my clips you'll see that the English can get a lot more gain - but there is an inherint lack of midrange punch to the English - it's a matter of what you want
I have a marshall Slash 2555 that really rocks when I need to rock but for soulful stuff - the English does it for me - especially for fingerpicking chords etc... - I''ve never played a better amp than the English for soft moody chords and mid gain stuff - the touch response is uncanny -
now my marshall 2555 can also do Superb blues and it sounds amazing but the cleans are nowhere near the English and lets not even talk about touch response - the English is in another league in that department -
So - what do you need ? a very difficult choice.

I'll NEVER sell any Alessandro amps - the message - Alessandro amps are really GREAT!!!
there are plenty other GREAT amps out there as well
try and avoid an amp that you'll lose intrest in in a few months (or weeks)
final note
I've had my Marshall Slash since 96 and the thought of selling it has crossed my mind a few times but everytime I plug in - I decide to keep it ! - GREAT amp
the same goes for my Alessandro English and Bluetick - I love those three amps ( 2555 , English,Bluetick )
Funny enough - I've never found a fender that I fell in love with - I've still got a few nice ones but I don't Love them.
I really don't want to make you believe that an Alessandro will solve all your tone problems and transport you to heaven. but I can tell you that there's a very good chance that you'll want to hold onto it for a VERY long time
If you think about it - there must be very few players that bought an amp and played it exclusively for the rest of their lives cause it's the BEST amp they ever had/played !
Even Dave Gilmour has an Alessandro Bluetick - and still has his HiWatt's as well - point is
A good amp is a good amp - find something good that does it for you and enjoy it till you feel that it's no longer good enough - and move on

Last edited:

Paul86

I'll disagree with guitarman. I own a Bloodhound, and let me tell you - this amp flat out ROCKS! But you`ll have to deal with the volume - it is one loud MF.
Granted, it won't get you to Recto-territory, if that's your thing look elsewhere.
Having said that the amount of bass you can have here has to be heard - talk about gut shaking.
What I have found out from playing my amp is that it teaches you manners - all kinds of manners! If you want to finesse it, and work your volume control - voila. You're rewarded with a very responsive amp. I usually get there with the volume between 11 - 1 o'clock. After 2, 3 o'clock it's rock-n-roll city.
Do yourself a favour and find a way to listen to all the models, and play them. That said, I bought mine without hearing it first, based on a Guitar Player review. I'll never look back!

glman

Thanks for this advice. Because I have no interest/use/application for a clean sound, do you advise that I look into other manufacturers? I don't want to get an amp only to be forced to use it with pedals to achieve a blues tone.
how much gain do you need to get for a " blues " tone ?
not sure what you need but if you listen to my clips and the video in my signature you'll hear exactly what this amp sounds like Without Any Pedals - for me that's more than enough gain for almost anything - except heavy metal.
i can tell you that my english has more than enough gain for blues " without " any help from pedals whatsoever!

TDJMB

Platinum Supporting Member
I had an English and I've now got a BnT. If you can find clips from IPlayHamers (I think), that's my English cranked and it was phenomenal. But I wanted a little more warmth & felt the 6L6/KT66/EL34 was more for me than the EL84. The BnT came with EL34s and I briefly tried some KT66s and didn't hear much difference. But the amp is pretty new and I've decided to put off tube comparisons until I get more hours on it. CNardone said the KT66s in his BnT made it sound huge.

I took the English to the NJ Ampfest a few years ago. CNardone's Beagle and his(?) BnT were there and there was something about the BnT that grabbed me.

I recommend talking to George Alessandro - he can steer you to the right model. Please report back after you've gotten your new amp (and then start saving up for the next one!).

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
how much gain do you need to get for a " blues " tone ?
not sure what you need but if you listen to my clips and the video in my signature you'll hear exactly what this amp sounds like Without Any Pedals - for me that's more than enough gain for almost anything - except heavy metal.
i can tell you that my english has more than enough gain for blues " without " any help from pedals whatsoever!
Yes, I see. Plus you have a great playing technique that really compliments that amp well. For a blues tone, I think Blackmore playing "Lazy" or SRV playing "Scuttle Buttin" live at Carnegie Hall. Just a hot smokin' tone.

I'll disagree with guitarman. I own a Bloodhound, and let me tell you - this amp flat out ROCKS! But you`ll have to deal with the volume - it is one loud MF.
Granted, it won't get you to Recto-territory, if that's your thing look elsewhere.
Having said that the amount of bass you can have here has to be heard - talk about gut shaking.
What I have found out from playing my amp is that it teaches you manners - all kinds of manners! If you want to finesse it, and work your volume control - voila. You're rewarded with a very responsive amp. I usually get there with the volume between 11 - 1 o'clock. After 2, 3 o'clock it's rock-n-roll city.
Do yourself a favour and find a way to listen to all the models, and play them. That said, I bought mine without hearing it first, based on a Guitar Player review. I'll never look back!
I've been warned about the Bloodhound! I've been told that it is NOT a bedroom amp, so I should stay clear! I really wish I had an opportunity to play/hear all the models, but that is just not possible. Nobody stocks them (except Rumble Seat in NY and that's a 12-hour drive from Indiana). I'm just going by YouTube clips, really.

Also, I emailed George A. about which he would recommend and he replied back (in typical fashion using less than 5 words in a reply) to go for the Plott Hound as it has more growl. I guess I'm not opposed to using a boost pedal (I have a Duncan Twin Tube that is my absolute favorite gain pedal), but I just needed to know if the amp was needing to be dimed to get decent gain. Sounds like the Plott may still be a winner.

If there are ANY ALESSANDRO OWNERS IN THE MID-WEST, please let me know! I'll be eternally grateful to hear one of these amps in-person before deciding to purchase!! Thanks!!

cnardone

I've got a Beagle and BnT. I play them both through a 1X12 Blue. the BnT can take 6v6, 6l6, kt66, el34 and maybe others. I really like the 6v6s. They have a really unique sound to them combined with the blue that is really pretty. It would probably sound more fender like witha more "american" cab (what's in old Tweeds?) but you won't confuse it with a Fender.

As JB mentioned I've got KT66s in there now and the amp sounds really big. A little darker but man thick and full. I think there is enough breakup for blues but we all have our taste levels. Having said that, as mentioned about, these things are loud even at 10 watts. The BnT with KT66's gets pretty loud before it really gives up the dirt. But glorious it is. One thing on the BnT, the Mid Control can really change the character of the amp. From warm to snappy with a little bite. It is a really nice to have that much flexibility in one control.

Good luck with whatever you get. I wish I was closer for you.
cmn

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a Beagle and BnT. I play them both through a 1X12 Blue. the BnT can take 6v6, 6l6, kt66, el34 and maybe others. I really like the 6v6s. They have a really unique sound to them combined with the blue that is really pretty. It would probably sound more fender like witha more "american" cab (what's in old Tweeds?) but you won't confuse it with a Fender.

As JB mentioned I've got KT66s in there now and the amp sounds really big. A little darker but man thick and full. I think there is enough breakup for blues but we all have our taste levels. Having said that, as mentioned about, these things are loud even at 10 watts. The BnT with KT66's gets pretty loud before it really gives up the dirt. But glorious it is. One thing on the BnT, the Mid Control can really change the character of the amp. From warm to snappy with a little bite. It is a really nice to have that much flexibility in one control.

Good luck with whatever you get. I wish I was closer for you.
cmn
Thanks! I wish I were in the NE too! Between you and Rumble Seat Music, you guys have every Alessandro amp that is appealing to me. Well, if the BnT can accept all those different tubes, that seems like the low-wattage tweaker's dream amp. I suppose I could run all those different power tubes and see which ones give me the hot blues tone I'm after (basically like Paul Plumeri's tone on the YouTube clips I posted in this thread).

Any recommendations on where to buy these amps? I've only found Rumble Seat keeps them in stock. I'll also keep my eyes open in hopes of a used one.

Trending Topics