I think my next amp will be an Alessandro: Need some owner's guidance please

v-verb

None of the alessandro amps will get you that distortion, (like on paul's you tube) without pedals. Ive had them all, and some twice.Great cleans, but they dont have that type of gain at all.I thought the best cleans where the English, but the BNT was my fave by far.
And that BnT used to be mine and I made a big mistake trading it - although the Kelley was sweet also! The BnT is one amp I'd like to get back one day...

cnardone

Thanks! I wish I were in the NE too! Between you and Rumble Seat Music, you guys have every Alessandro amp that is appealing to me. Well, if the BnT can accept all those different tubes, that seems like the low-wattage tweaker's dream amp. I suppose I could run all those different power tubes and see which ones give me the hot blues tone I'm after (basically like Paul Plumeri's tone on the YouTube clips I posted in this thread).

Any recommendations on where to buy these amps? I've only found Rumble Seat keeps them in stock. I'll also keep my eyes open in hopes of a used one.
I got my Beagle from George semi used (but never sold) you could certainly heck with him and see if he has anything in stock.

glman

Yes, I see. Plus you have a great playing technique that really compliments that amp well. For a blues tone, I think Blackmore playing "Lazy" or SRV playing "Scuttle Buttin" live at Carnegie Hall. Just a hot smokin' tone.

I've been warned about the Bloodhound! I've been told that it is NOT a bedroom amp, so I should stay clear! I really wish I had an opportunity to play/hear all the models, but that is just not possible. Nobody stocks them (except Rumble Seat in NY and that's a 12-hour drive from Indiana). I'm just going by YouTube clips, really.

Also, I emailed George A. about which he would recommend and he replied back (in typical fashion using less than 5 words in a reply) to go for the Plott Hound as it has more growl. I guess I'm not opposed to using a boost pedal (I have a Duncan Twin Tube that is my absolute favorite gain pedal), but I just needed to know if the amp was needing to be dimed to get decent gain. Sounds like the Plott may still be a winner.

If there are ANY ALESSANDRO OWNERS IN THE MID-WEST, please let me know! I'll be eternally grateful to hear one of these amps in-person before deciding to purchase!! Thanks!!
if i were you - I would seriously look at the Black n Tan - it's only 15 watts and with a muzzle can easily be a " loudish " bedroom amp - with an ultimat attenuator ( $500 +/1 ) you got a killer anything rig.
the BnT is a kinda mystery alessandro amp as to date I've not heard a single clip - it can use any octal pre amp tube - ask around as I'm not sure how it is gain wise.
for me - the English is more than enough at the moment but I can see myself getting an american and possibly a BnT sometime in the future.

Paul86

Since some here have already asked, I'll ask too - ANY info on the Black and Tan?
I'd really like to know more about the sounds you can get by changing output tubes.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I'll be the third to query the Black 'n Tan owners!

The website states it can accept KT66, EL34, and 6L6...however a few comments on this thread have also stated using 6v6. Can one really swap around all these different tubes with no re-biasing? Must be, since it's cathode biased, but I am not familiar with any amp with this much flexibility with power tubes.

I will offer cash money to anyone who can provide good clips/video of this amp in action...I'm serious. As Glman stated, this is the 'mystery' amp with hardly any info out there!

joel

Tell me the easiest/cheapest way to make clips and I'll try. I'm the worlds krappiest guitar player, but maybe I could invite michael.e or skydogfan up here to wring them out. But I don't know how to make clips. Can you simply plug a microphone into the soundcard somehow, maybe with a big hammer?

I didn't know B&T could use 6V6's either. I was told EL34 & 6L6 varients. I'll give it a try if you guys are sure nothing will blow up. "I read on the internet you could do it safely..."

I looked inside my amps once and they all looked nearly identical. I didn't check component values, but they appeared to have the same topology.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Tell me the easiest/cheapest way to make clips and I'll try. I'm the worlds krappiest guitar player, but maybe I could invite michael.e or skydogfan up here to wring them out. But I don't know how to make clips. Can you simply plug a microphone into the soundcard somehow, maybe with a big hammer?

I didn't know B&T could use 6V6's either. I was told EL34 & 6L6 varients. I'll give it a try if you guys are sure nothing will blow up. "I read on the internet you could do it safely..."

I looked inside my amps once and they all looked nearly identical. I didn't check component values, but they appeared to have the same topology.
Right on Joel! I'll shoot you a PM/email and I can explain how to record clips (depending on what computer software you're using- if you use a Mac, you have top-notch recording software available. If not, we'll figure it out). Or you can do a YouTube video clip.

Cheers,

Khan.

kmcmichael

I have a Plott and use it with a heritage 20 watt greenback in a custom cab. It is a lot louder than you might think. I chose the 20 watt for it's inefficiency. You will need an attenuator for the bedroom or probably the studio. I use it with a strat with the attenuator and use it with a big hollow body jazz box without the attenuator at low volume. It is also the best sounding jazz amp that I have ever had, that includes the Commins(one of the working dog amps designed for jazz) but only at lower volume. It has a very big sound. I have not had one of his EL84 amps but have been playing guitar for over 30 years. The closest thing that I have ever played to this Plott is a 59 Bassman in the Robin Hood Bryan studio in Texas around 1981.

cnardone

As I mentioned above, I really like 6v6s in the amp. I ran them in there for over a year with no issues. I can't reference it to an existing amp as can't remember ever hearing another cathode biased 6v6 running into a blue.

I'd be more than happy to record but I've only have my camcorder and once I get to volume the camcorder will compress and you won't get a representative sound.

cmn

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Plott and use it with a heritage 20 watt greenback in a custom cab. It is a lot louder than you might think. I chose the 20 watt for it's inefficiency. You will need an attenuator for the bedroom or probably the studio. I use it with a strat with the attenuator and use it with a big hollow body jazz box without the attenuator at low volume. It is also the best sounding jazz amp that I have ever had, that includes the Commins(one of the working dog amps designed for jazz) but only at lower volume. It has a very big sound. I have not had one of his EL84 amps but have been playing guitar for over 30 years. The closest thing that I have ever played to this Plott is a 59 Bassman in the Robin Hood Bryan studio in Texas around 1981.
Cool! I emailed George A. and he said for a blues/rock tone, the Plott has more 'growl'. I'm wondering if the BnT with 6v6 is essentially a Plott Hound? I have the Ultimate Attenuator, so I'm sure I'll have to dial it down even at 10 watts. The Heritage 20 watter sounds like a logical choice- so would a Celestion blue. Bet that sounds great!

As I mentioned above, I really like 6v6s in the amp. I ran them in there for over a year with no issues. I can't reference it to an existing amp as can't remember ever hearing another cathode biased 6v6 running into a blue.

I'd be more than happy to record but I've only have my camcorder and once I get to volume the camcorder will compress and you won't get a representative sound.

cmn
Good to know that the 6V6's have not created any issues. Someone mentioned to me that there may be impedance mismatches when one does that, but it sounds like you're surviving! Yeah, go ahead and do a camcorder clip- compressed clips are better than no clips at all, which is what we have with the BnT. Just wanting to get a sense of the clean-to-balls-out-gain range of tones. I will calibrate my interpretation based on the fact that camcorder videos are never dead-on accurate, but it'll at least give me some frame of reference.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I just called Rumble Seat Music, who stock Alessandro amps (one of the only stores in the US that actually have any high-end Alessandro's) and they told me I could get a BnT for about the same price as their Rhodesian that they have in-stock (appx. $2K). I thought the 15 watt and would be cheaper than the 30 watt amp, but I guess not! Any way, not so bad, I guess. What kills me is seeing what a beating Alessandro amps get on the used market...take a look at this recently completed Ebay auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/alessandro-bloodhound-head-NR_W0QQitemZ140257961585QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140257961585&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A14%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

v-verb

Holy crap - I need to keep an eye out for those! I've had 4 Alessandros and wouldn't mind one again - esp if that cheap!

I just called Rumble Seat Music, who stock Alessandro amps (one of the only stores in the US that actually have any high-end Alessandro's) and they told me I could get a BnT for about the same price as their Rhodesian that they have in-stock (appx. $2K). I thought the 15 watt and would be cheaper than the 30 watt amp, but I guess not! Any way, not so bad, I guess. What kills me is seeing what a beating Alessandro amps get on the used market...take a look at this recently completed Ebay auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/alessandro-bloodhound-head-NR_W0QQitemZ140257961585QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140257961585&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A14%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Millo 3.1

From reading this I totally want a BnT! How loud are its cleans w/ EL34's, able to keep up in a band context? Do they NOT get lost in the mix w/ horns and keyboards, etc? Thanks!

kmcmichael

A Celestion blue is going to have a lot more highs and if I remember correctly a lot louder. I know the old 30 watt greenbacks were louder than the original 20s

joel

I plugged a pair of Brimar 6V6s into my B&T yesterday. Although the parts in it look similar to what's in my Plott, there must be some bias resistor or something that's different. The B&T w/6V6s sounds fatter than the Plott. I thought the overdrive was muddier, and it sort of felt like it wasn't quite getting enough RPM going to get into its power band. I swapped out the Brimars and put in a pair of JJ EL34s and the amp felt more 'right'. I think this amp is designed for EL34s. To me, it sounded clearer & less muddy in the overdrive region, and had a feeling of power that the 6V6s didn't provide. It was somewhat louder. The Plott feels right with its 6V6s. B&T w/ EL34s is a lot of fun, early Marshal roots rock kind of tone, without overbearing volume. Plott w/6V6 I think is like a very clear tweed deluxe, in respect to volume, gain, breakup tone & feel.

I'm a 'bedroom player', so I can't speak much to whether the B&T can cut through. It does get pretty loud by my standards, I had the attenuator pretty far up when I had the volume above 1/2. But then horns are pretty loud. I guess you'd be at the high end of the clean range, probably beginning to crunch, if you were trying to keep up with a couple of trumpets, drums, & keys.

I'm working on the clips thing. It'll take me another week at least.

cnardone

someone above mentioned using an attenuator. I used a weber Mass with mine a couple of times. immediately after that, I started hearing a "Pssfft" every 10 seconds. It only audible when not playing. You have to listen for it but it is there. I sent the amp to George and he said everything is OK. but I have not used the weber Mass with it since and don't plan on it. I'd just check with George before using anything other than Georges attenuator.

cmn

joel

I've got a MASS and two Aly attenuators. No surprize, I like the Aly attenuator with the Aly amp. It's more transparent. I use the MASS with my Opal, and sometimes my Z28. MASS is less transparent to my ear, but maybe allows the feel of the high-power amp to come through better. Hard to describe. Why do I use an attenuator at all with a master-volume amp? Opal is so darned loud that by the time I set the gain to 'snarl', it's shaking the walls.

Trending Topics