I think this is sad...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AdamGian, Jun 25, 2008.

1. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

No way on this green earth I'd have anything to do with that.

What's next, parting out the Mona Lisa?

Bubban0v

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

It's just an old strat,at the end of the day.

5. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Not really. Now it's an old Strat body, with all of its other parts scattered around. Sad I say.

6. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Without a serial number, someone please school me on the characteristics that would prove this was a 1956 body vs. any other vintage year? The routings? Nuances to the shape/color? Thanks!

7. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

See the date in the bridge cavity? That's all you have to go on except the various aspects of its shape, routes, and the age of the finish using a black light, I believe. Gruhn would be able to verify it to within a 12 month period.

8. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

All guitars are worth less than the sum of their parts (I first noticed this with high end bicycles). There are couple of online ebay stores that specialize in this (all gibson - all fender...). I always think that is sad as well... but then, the demand must be there. Paying 70% of retail for the authentic part you need is apparently of value to the market.

If you notice... only novice sellers - or the very high end, include the OHSC with guitars. They can be sold separately later for more than value they will add with the guitar. And the difference will often justify throwing in a gig bag.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I agree with DavidH. Who cares? The owner can do what he wants. Much more important things in this world that make me sad. I can't even turn the radio/tv on without something majorly bumming me out and it affecting my work or play.

10. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Member

I'll admit my belief that people who part out vintage guitars to get at the $$ hidden inside are scum...

11. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Sure, the owner can do what he wants, but that still doesn't stop me believing that this is something that shouldn't ever be done.

Obviously there are sadder things in the world. But the original poster is looking at it relatively when it comes to guitars. Obviously, it's not like he's equating this with innocent children dying of hunger.

12. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I held my tongue assuming he's probably not a Strat guy.:BEER

13. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Thanks, Hassan, I hadn't noticed the date in the cavity. I'd sure want the other evidence to add up too, though, before putting any money to this.

14. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Whats to say the pickups were not rusted beyond repair, same with the tremelo. Maybe the neck took the brunt of a bad fall.

15. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Look at the all the other stuff the seller has up there. He clearly parts out vintage Strats on a regular basis. If this were a one-time thing because of the possibilities you mentioned, sure, but it isn't. He's not the only one.

16. DonM

DonM Member

seems hes got a few others ripped apart for reaping more $$ too..
    welp...so much for Historical integrity I guess?

17. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

I don't know the ins and outs of dating vintage strat parts, but I sure would not pay $14K based on a penciled in date.

18. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

You can bet the guitar was fine...However Eddie needed the neck for a better condition neck that was going overseas or something...Eddie is a member here I am almost positive but seems to be a good guy and makes a living on strat parts...You know how many guys have a 50's neck on 70/80's bodies and for a mere 15 large they can have a much more valuable guitar....He does his thing and is reputable doing it from what I know of him...

19. jetattblue

jetattblue Member

Please don't take what I wrote as any comment on the seller. I don't know the seller. I am sure that people who know vintage guitars probably have a number of ways to identify and age this body. I just know that I don't, and I would just be going off of the written date.

20. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I know the old Strats pretty well and that body looks completely original. It does look as though he sells authentic stuff. That's why it's so hard to watch.

jetattblue - The date is under the finish. So, you verify the finish first.