• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I thought I lost Van Halen's ADKOT ... but it recently resurfaced and uhhhhmmm...

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
It is so interesting to see how people have such different tastes in music. For instance, I think Sammy Hagar is one of the coolest front men in rock, and I couldn't imagine someone not liking him... I actually find it kind of refreshing to read some people can't take him. As a guitar player in a band, it reinforces to me the fact that you can't please everyone. If guys like Sammy and EVH can't please everyone, then I guess I shouldn't be taking myself too seriously either, and it's a reminder to take criticism with a grain of salt. After all, as a musician I guess we all have someone out there who thinks we suck.
I am not a big Sammy fan. I just don't like his lyrics. Don't really like his voice. I think he's a "fake" guy.

I do like probably 15 or so Van Hagar songs. Sammy can write some solid melodies. I just don't like his voice, can't stand his lyrics, and I do think he's "fake."

That's not to say that I think Eddie and Alex are without fault, of course they are, probably most at fault, but Sammy just seems like a weasel to me, and there is no comparison, in my opinion, about who was better in VH. Roth wipes the floor with Sammy.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
The one thing that bothers me about the record, mostly, is the production, but also you can almost tell it's edited. It's about as precise as modern metal records, which are all edited to the max to fit perfectly to grid.

It's as if Eddie let Wolfie produce it as it sounds like what a modern, young band would want to put out.

It's just too perfect in playing and that's where the groove was lost.

Plus, I HATE the sound of it. Not sure which is worse, the production on this or the drums on 5150?

Dave is Dave. He did a good with what he has left, but I knew there was no way he'd pull off the songs live.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
That record is completely forgettable, nothing really compels me to listen to it again. They lost the fire that they once had, remove a piece of the chemistry (Michael Anthony) and you throw off the whole thing.
After listening to the album again I'm leaning towards this same conclusion. Not even close to their original stuff of yesteryear.

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
I liked it but at the same time was disappointed that most of the album is just rehashed leftover tracks. In all that time they couldn't write fresh material????? I have all those old demo's and I prefer the old demo's to the re-writes.

Then there's the mastering...It is brick walled!!! There are absolutely no dynamics at all and it's crunchy. Hate albums mastered like this.

blong

I like the CD. I can't find mine, either, ironically. But it is my least favorite VH recording. I like 'em all for different reasons. I really love the fire and tones from the early stuff, the songwriting and singing with Hagar, and since Michael Anthony left, it's not the same. I didn't realize how great and his simple bass lines (most of 'em simple, which is hard to do) left the room for Eddie's incredible rhythm guitar work, which is under appreciated and better than his leads, which is saying a lot. Also, Mike's vocal backing made a lot of tracks, especially with DLR. DLR doesn't have the voice or the mojo, it seeems, on ADKOT. I like some songs, the guitar playing is ok, but it seems forced to me, in many spots. Still, one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

Bob

John 14:6

I actually really liked it. I don't think it's anywhere up near their best, but there are enough reflections on the golden DLR years to make me smile a lot when I listen to it.

miss MA though. :(
My thoughts exactly. I remember when I first heard Tattoo and I couldn't stop smiling because it sounded like the Van Halen I grew up with. I like some of the Hagar stuff but it is NOT Van Halen. David Lee Roth is the singer in Van Halen.

Trending Topics