I thought I'd seen it all when it comes to tire kickers

pbmw

Sadly in this day and age people who complain after the sale, looking for full or partial refunds, absurd claims about why they want a refund etc, are given lots of power.

Ebay will pretty much give a buyer a refund, for any reason, months after you’ve sold something. They blindly side with the buyer no matter how trivial or absurd the reason.

Lots of “renters” out there take advantage of this, so it pays to know who your selling to, and if they are likely to contact you 45 days later asking to return soemthing.
This is one of the reasons I've stopped selling stuff on Ebay. Just not going to deal with it. The position I've taken, all my life, is you buy it, it's yours. End of story. You didn't check it out well enough? Who's problem is that? I don't sell broken stuff and I always describe it accurately and I don't hide info. I've been selling vintage motorcycle's and parts for YEARS and that's been my policy forever. If you don't like it after the sale...then sell it on. But don't call me because that ship has already sailed.

mooncobra

Silver Supporting Member
Wow. Poor form. I would have just said, "sorry, but the best I can do is take a quick clip with my cell phone using my gear, if that's not good enough for you, tough luck you psycho!!" I have had people make some pretty wild requests but NOTHING compared to this. I had something on Craigslist San Francisco, and a guy responded saying he would like to buy it at my asking price.(not the African pickup scam) I was pretty fired up, because a lot of guys on Craigslist I have dealt with make crazy LOWBALL offers. I have had guys offer me $750 on a guitar I had listed for $2250!! So, because he said he would pay the full asking price (I had it a couple hundred over what I actually would accept for it because of all the lowball CL offers) when he asked if I could meet him halfway between our homes I agreed. The San Francisco Bay Area really isn't too big so I figure the worst case scenario is a half hour to maybe 45 minutes driving to meet the dude. So, the night before, he informs me THAT HE LIVES IN BAKERSFIELD!!!! I told the dude, "sorry man, but that's ABOUT 300 MILES!!!!!!!! No can do!!" His insanely bold response was, "hey, we had a deal, I am paying your full asking price and you will meet me halfway!" I said, "if I had known your location I NEVER would have agreed to meet halfway, if I advertise a guitar on Craigslist San Francisco, I assume that someone is in the San Fran Bay Area." He then said, "Its not 300 miles!! Its ONLY 275(its more than that) and you will only have to drive about 140 miles." I told him, "sorry bro, not going to happen." He then had the audacity to threaten me. He said he is a respected member of the guitar forum community and that his word carries weight and influence and that he has many, many followers over many different forums and social media sites. I told him he would have to go ahead and do that, because there is NOT A CHANCE I am driving 300 miles round trip. He then sent one message after another for the next 4 or 5 days saying things like, "look, we made an agreement, if you don't honor it, I am going to makes posts on the forums and you will never be able to sell a guitar again online." Then they just got worse and worse. He never did post a thread on here saying I backed out of a deal. I told him, "I have all the emails we exchanged, and if you make up a false story about me, I will post our correspondence and the forums who you say all follow you will see what kinds of things you do and are willing to do in order to get what you want." He then gave up. But man, some people are so bold!! Whether an act of subterfuge, or a bold and ridiculous request, people will keep on keeping on with this kind of nonsense. But, the nature of the request this guy is asking of you is just totally ridiculous. Trying to assemble his entire rig is crazy, lugging around the amp, guitar, all of his pedals, finding the matching cab, man, I cant believe that guy actually had the courage to say that out loud or type it out. SO BOLD!!! SUCH A BIG ASK THAT IS ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS AND RIDICULOUS!!! One thing I cant stand is over the top requests like this. I could see MAYBE asking your best friend to do something like his. Think of how much time has to be invested to find all the stuff to recreate this guys rig?!?!?

foxyguitars

Silver Supporting Member
have had many similar stories :) my best ones:

1) facts: Im selling JUST A PICKUP COVER
only yesterday some guy in netherlands asks me to provide him with a new set of pictures taken under a UV black light ... well, if that's what he wants... maybe he really wants it. so I oblige. he replies 'thx looks legit!' : he just wanted to see what it looked like I guess.

2) facts: I'm selling a $5750 guitar, only want to ship to US ONLY:
last week a guy in Italy contacts me and floods my pm box and tries to convince me to:
a) accept selling the guitar to him in Italy
b) lower customs value
the kicker: - and I kid you not - : after maybe 150 lines of text and 14 messages:
..... he finally makes me an offer for USD$3.36

WhoJamFan

I can only imagine what he'd be like if he bought it and didn't like it.
Exactly-holding up your Ppal over him opening a claim over some miniscule, all in his head drama.

Copy and send them this and never hear from them again. Anyone who wants to save this and use it is welcome to.
Weeds the turds out of the garden.
Enjoy

"Thank you for the interest in my amplifier, looking forward to providing you a great sounding one.

For a $100 deposit, I'll do this demo, if you arrange for me to go to a store that has the gear, and give me 3 guitar tones you want to hear. I'm sure you'll need to pay the owner something, as me just walking in there to do this, isn't going to fly.
So, if you want to arrange everything, just email a copy of the written and signed statement that what I am recording/filming doesn't violate their manufacturers copyright laws or dealer agreements,(this is why you see black tape over brand names in videos and on tv.)
The $100 is non refundable-period.
You pay the agreed price after the demo, but before shipping. Once the $100 Is teceived, the price is locked in, and not a debatable issue.
You will have 48 hours after the demo is digitally sent to make the full payment, or, the amp goes back on the market, and the deposit becomes the "demo" fee. You are still able to purchase the amp for tge agreed price-provided it's still available.
Amp will be shipped when payment has cleared.
Recording will be documentation of the operating functionality of the amplifier. You will be given all copies of the shipping receipts and documents, and digital photos of the packing. So, should the need arise, you'll be able to deal with the carrier directly.
Once I transfer custody of the amplifier to the shipping agent, I no longer assume ANY responsibilty regarding the entire transaction. All sales final, any issues would only be the result of carrier mishandling, and you have all the documentation.
Would you like my Paypal address to get the process started?"
:rotflmao

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
That is so absurd by the asker it's actually kind of comical. Of course, drop that person instantly because even if he buys he will never be satisfied.

I'm used to the usual tire kicking -- 20 questions while they claim to have their "finger on the trigger."

This one was new though. I'm selling a 1974 Marshall JMP. I started getting questions from this guy about how it sounds. I try to describe it but then he asks me if I could record some clips. No problem -- I've done that for buyers before.

I tell him I'd be playing it with an LP through an EVH 4X12.

He responds that that's not the gear he owns. He asks me to go to a music store, bring the amp and try it out through a stock Marshall 1960 cab.

Using a Strat.

Through a few pedals he also owns.

So basically he wants me to bring the amp to a music store and set it up using only gear he uses.

:crazy

WhoJamFan

BTW, would love to have that JMP, I sold my 100w 70s one in the mid 90s, and have regretted it ever since.
It's funny, I took out a "for sale" ad saying trades open.
This guy calls up, asks me what I'm looking to trade it for. I tell him "a Hiwatt head",to which he pauses, and replies,"that Marshall is 100 watts, how many watts do you need?"

Sam Xavier

BTW, would love to have that JMP, I sold my 100w 70s one in the mid 90s, and have regretted it ever since.
It's funny, I took out a "for sale" ad saying trades open.
This guy calls up, asks me what I'm looking to trade it for. I tell him "a Hiwatt head",to which he pauses, and replies,"that Marshall is 100 watts, how many watts do you need?"
:rotflmao

crambone

Absolutely. I recently sold an R8. I listed it on Reverb and received half a dozen "how much does it weigh" questions. None of them purchased it.

Listed it on Kijiji and some dude was like, "If it's like you describe, I'll take it."

Done and done.
Yep. People who are ready to buy and know what they want are a pleasure to deal with. Everyone else is just trying to get as much stuff as they can for as cheap as possible.

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Can't remember if it was here or another forum, but I was selling an original TS-808 Tubescreamer from 1982. One buyer was nuts...told me he wants it, take it off the TGP site, then contacts me and wants to negotiate. He started $60 plus less than my price, then says he needs free shipping, a return policy (this is on a 26 year old pedal that worked fine, I'm just not a TS fan), etc, etc.

I told him to grow up. Someone emailed me 10 minutes later, bought the pedal, paid for expedited shipping, and said thanks for offering it at a fair price.

That's what happens when you have someone who knows what they're buying. Can't really say the other buyer was a Y2K born person since it was 2008, but the purchasing tactics were very similar.

JonSick

I don't sell anymore. Musicians can be way too entitled and expect a whole bunch of stuff for free and don't forget the discount.

X-Mann

Record it with your current gear & tell him “Here you go bro”! ;)
Ok, yes.....I’m quoting myself here....:rolleyes:

I’ve thought about this a bit more.....& here’s what I would do:

Record 10-different clips with the gear that you own, but each take, twist a few knobs, turn on/off a drive pedal...etc...erc...

Send him the 1st clip.....& tell him “I went to the music store & used everything you asked for”.

Then when he says “Can you make it brighter/Darker/Fatter/More Gain/Less Gain/No Gain”...etc....etc....etc” just send him the 2nd clip & do it instantly.

Do this again with each clip....

& finally.....at the very end, just tell him “I’ve decided to sell it to another guy for $500 less”!!!!! ;):p

#teletubbybyebye

X

frthib

I put an amp on kijiji, guy calls me (millenial), makes me lower my price a little. we agreed. he then told me he have an electric car and the charge won't be sufficient to go from his town to mine. He ask me how -I- will solve that problem and how HE will come back to his town,. Told him to find chargers somewhere, i don't know and don't really care. he then started to argue about his electric car consumption and driving strategy. I stopped him him and told him it's not my problem, if he solves it he can call me back. He never recalled.. weird.

Trending Topics