I took my first lesson in 18 years today.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Thelonius, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

I'm in my mid 30s, picking a guitar back up after 18 years off. First Lesson today *cry* OMG what have I gotten myself into. My lack of chops is only surpassed by my skill at freezing up and not being able to play what I do know in front of people.

Brutal. Hopefully thuogh I'll stick with it long enough to give updates for those in my shoes to laugh along with me, or at me, whichever the case may be.

2. onemind

onemind Member

Thelonius,

I took lessons for about eight months nearly eighteen years ago. I haven't taken one since, but since my son started playing, and quickly surpassed me I've been thinking about it. Let me know how you make out. I used to be concerned about performance anxiety, but most of my friends are worse than I am! Which isn't saying very much at all.

Steve

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

Heh...glad I'm not the only one who does that. I think it comes from being out of practice with performing. If you're not gigging it gets harder and harder to play in front of people.

I just wanted to remind you that you're taking lessons because you want to/need to improve your playing. You're not there to show the instructor what a great player you are. So not playing well when he asks you to play him something is to be expected.

4. lhallam

lhallam Member

Very good point. There were some students who were obviously initimidated by me and I spent an entire lesson helping them to get past performing for the teacher. Once they became comfortable, their playing improved and we could focus on their needs. In long run it was very much worth the time and effort.

5. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Patience

Persistance

Practice

I stopped for a long time , not only did it all come back , but it's going better than ever!!!
    you can do it!!!

6. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Yep, it can be humbling:eek:

I've taken a lesson or two over the last couple of years and I'm always amazed by the "simple" stuff I've forgotten about. But that's why I like to take lessons once in awhile after playing or over 40 years :eek:

Budman

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

All of my friends are WAY better than me... i gotta make some new friends.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

LOL

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

At the Dallas Guitar Show one booth was giving free 10 minute mini lessons. I had had about 6 guitar lessons in my life of playing for 14 years. However, I just learned that I had been holding the pick wrong all these years! I was using the flesh of my index finger instead of the side of it. That explains (at least a part) why I could never develop speed.

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Great to hear that.
    Good Luck to you! Key to success is "Slow & review"
    no rush, hope you find your joy of playing.
    Please tell all your feeling to your teacher. More
    better communication, is better lesson will be.

Once a while I play my lefy guitar to feel
    something different. (That's how I got my
    book "Instant Guitar" idea)

Tomo

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Don't be so sure. I don't believe there is one "right" way to hold a pick. Look at the guys who have developed speed. You'll see a ton of different ways to hold a pick.

12. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes & No. I don't believe exact "Right way of playing'
    Everybody has different size and speed , tastes.

I know some better ideas in my opinion. But I need to
    see and talk about the person's direction. You are right
    about it. Many way, one way is great for someone and
    not others.

But there is really bad way too. I don't wanna get into
    teaching without knowing the person very clear..
    Sometimes, bad habit kept slow down everything.
    That's ture..... but I can't just push my opinion
    either.

If my way is best.... I have to tell Pat Metheny
    to hold his pick right! I had a luuch with him.
    but I didn't have to say that. Beacause he sounds
    great. So that's not problem.

PS, I choose the way the person play his TONE than
    play fast. So you are right about this. Music has
    no one answer.

Tomo

13. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

Ever seen Buddy Guy hold a pick?? Seems very unnatural but he seems to have gotten good results!!

It's a world of individuals!!

Make no wide and sweeping generalizations!!!!
    ( NO Puns about sweep picking please!)

My favorite tone with my strat is when I'm trying to saw the guitar in half with my jim dunlop jazz3 pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:JAM

14. meterman

meterman Member

That's great man, good luck with it and don't worry about sucking in front of the teacher, I do it every time too!! If you're interested, I highly recommend picking up a copy of a book called Zen Guitar by Phillip Toshio Sudo. It is the application of Zen techniques and philosophy to the study of guitar and is very informative, educational and entertaining. It's not a method book at all, more about mindset, mental attitude, etc. I can't really explain it but it's well worth reading!

http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/

15. tambokgt

tambokgt Member

I'm 34 and just got back to playing after ...well...last time I picked up a guitar I was still in college and we had a gig and I wasn't even a guitar player in my band.....this was around 1993......I just started playing last November of 2004. Secret in playing is to do it everyday .....just an hour.....get a guitar that is set up to your liking......get a guitar that is comfortable and easy to play. I never had formal lessons....I had different "teachers" and 99% of the guitar skills I acquired is self taught. I am recording stuff now ...just for my enjoyment. Now that I can afford good quality instruments , it's better to try it right now before some parts of my body stops working.:) I posted some clips I made in the members soundclips forum...check it out.

16. phingerboard

phingerboard Guest

Yeah don't feel bad.

I started again several months ago, also after an 18-year layoff.

Could hardly remember a danged thing, and what I did remember, I couldn't do; the fingers just tripped around like a stumbling drunk. Didn't take too long though to start making progress though, and progress is better now than back in the day as at this point in life there are no aspirations and none of the associated pressure to play like a badass right off the bat. ;)

Within a few weeks things will be going smoother and you'll feel a whole lot better about things.

17. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

Here's how you can tell your getting better. Your level of sucking goes down. cause you're going to have great days and bad days playing. at first great days only happen when your home by yourself but eventually they'll pop up in other places.
    occasionally people might even be there to witness them "your Mom doesn't count". Dogs do though.

I love watching kids when I go into music stores. I should write a book on this. I'm impressed when someone can strum 3 chords and make it sound like a groove.
    Recently i sat and tried an amp beside some noodlehead who soloed like yingyang malmsteen for 15 min. without breathing or slowing down. I even tried to jam with him. He was in the zone.
    I haven't created a comical name for this zone yet. but no-one in the store was impressed.
    after all this I had 2 people come up to me and ask for guitar lessons. Why? personality and tone I think. Learn to make simple things like basic chords sound great.

I can listen to superfast guitar players for awhile but john lee hooker & bb king give you soul & tension & danger. learn to groove.

18. mardin

mardin Guest

I need to find a teacher, too, and go through a building process, after 30 years of learning on my own. The thread helped me see some of what I might experience but also it is encouraging.

I saw Pat Metheny a few months ago at the Beacon in New York, and it's clear he holds a pick in a weird way; through binoculars, it looked like he had two fingers and his thumb on it, like he was holding a pencil. But Tomo's point that there definitely is a bad way to hold a pick (the way that is slowing the learner down) is a good one. Pat Metheny's way did not slow him down. In fact, I think he played as fast and as clean as a human can play.

Mardin

19. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I started lessons again a year ago and it has been fun and humbling.

It is never too late and you are never too advanced to continue learning.

20. '63-Strat

'63-Strat Guest

Tomo Fujita?

How's it going? :)

I was once a private student of yours at a Berklee 5 week summer thing. You actually were very good at telling me how to pick funnily enough. I was picking too hard, and not controlling it from my fingers, but from my wrist/elbow. I think I've got it figured out now, lol

Thx for the lessons,

Colin Reid

(red '63 strat, somewhat matt damon-looking white guy ;) )