I traded away/sold all my fuzzes after getting the Spaceman Sputnik

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Apr 17, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

I've been obsessed with fuzzes for the longest time. I bought the Chase Tone Fuzz Face, countless fuzz face variants, a DAM MKII, Swollen Pickle, many muffs, DBA Fuzz War (and ffuzz war overload), built kits, several tonebenders (Ramble FX, Britbender, etc), Malekko B:Assmaster, Superfuzz (Watson), Boss FZ-2, octave fuzzes...blah blah. Its been an obsession.

A while ago, I scored a Spaceman Sputnik and this pedal does just about anything I could ever want. It can sound like a fuzz face, a tonebender, a brutal wall of fuzz or just a crunchy OD. I can get synthy tones out of it. The only thing it doesnt really do is get octavia type tones. Insane tone sculpting and manipulation as well.

Absolutely love this pedal. Other than a couple kit pedals I have (not worth the resale), I've sold all my other fuzzes.

2. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Yeah its great. Id really love to hear a silicon version

3. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Yeah, I've had my head well down the "find the one fuzz that works for me" rabbit hole for the past 3 years. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many I've been through. But just as an idea, just in the past 3 weeks alone I've ordered 3.

I want thick, warm and clean without being too muddy and still having a reasonable top end.

Sounds good with chords and thick and chewy for single notes.

I like the warmth of Germanium, but find them too round on the top lacking definition most of the time.

I like the clarity of Silicon, but find them often harsh in the highs.

Still searching. Currently on order are Analogman 2N527 and a Bearfoot Candy Apple Gold.

4. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

I've heard of people swapping out the transistors in the older ones. However the Russian Germanium in the Sputnik should have enough bite.

5. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I've really been digging the Candy Apple that I got last week. Not sure what you mean by "clean", but it hits the rest of your requirements. Kicked a silicon Ff build and Iron Bell off of my board for the time being. Something will probably come back or I'll add another when I re-expand my board, but not sure how much I'll step on it. Really satisfied with the CAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

I have the original BJFe version which has silicon transistors and the octavia setting is out of this world

7. SFT

SFT Member

Have you tried the Park Fuzz? Just curious, because I just bought one and it should arrive any day now. I also have an old Skreddy Mayo pedal which is killer, though I'm more into the 60's/early 70's tone bender sound at the moment.

8. Mosley

Mosley Electric Catnip

I'm also a huge fan of the Spaceman Sputnik. It does just about everything I want in a fuzz. It's very sensitive to placement in the chain, which could possibly be seen as a weakness, but to me it just makes it more versatile...if I want new tones I just move it around in my chain. So many sounds out of one pedal!

9. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

It's the brightest germanium-based fuzz I have ever tried. I was
    surprised by the relative brightness of it---which, for me, was not a
    good thing given my setup and needs.

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The Sputnik is an amazing pedal. As the OP said it can do about 20 different voicings a exceptionally well. I leave the gain all the way up and just rolling the volume on the guitar back halfway it completely cleans up. I've even used it as a colored boost pedal before bc it has so much output. It's also just a fun and inspiring pedal that always takes me in directions I wasn't thinking about 2 minutes before. I love pedals like that!

11. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I love the Sputnik. It's been a mainstay on my board for 2 years. But I wouldn't sell off all my other fuzzes for it. I gotta keep a strong supply of MKIs and MKIIs and Fuzz faces and Muffs.

12. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I've got one of the original red ones. I don't use it a ton, but it's a great box of fuzz tones when I need them.

13. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

I always liked mine...but I never really fell in love with it. Not sure why. I love fuzzes. Maybe not warm enough? Too sterile? Not enough personality? Who knows.

14. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Hmm... I don't think I would ever say the Sputnik lacks personality.

15. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

What are some of your settings for each fuzz tone you're getting? I just got a sputnik a week ago.