I treated myself to one of these today...: Advise on how to use it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pott, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

http://www.subdecay.com/sb.htm

The Blackstar isn't exactly what I was looking for really... so I may be selling it and the MXR EQ and instead getting that highly tweakable OD... should do the trick. It'll be there in 4 to 5 working days, i.e I'm hoping next Monday or so. Though I ordered it two hours ago, and the site is in Oregon... may even ship today, who knows! Ordered it from proguitarhop.

Expensive, VERY expensive, but I decided to treat myself. If it works out for me it may make me sell at least 3 pedals, so it's worth it. It's my birthday tomorrow and since no one in my family ever buys me guitar related stuff, it's all left for me :rotflmaonot complaining though.

I've been on a quest for a high gain OD/medium gain distortion for months now...using my modded SD1 with the gain boosted which I LOVE, but there may be something out there better :D My laney VC15 also is very picky about pedals...

This will also mean I can start working on the second pedalboard with most of my Carl Martin stuff and soon a phaser or vibe pedal, for the bigger Laney...

Oh and I still need to move out since I'm going into a new flat in 10 days. Fun. Just packed a 60kilos suitcase full of books, DVDs and CDs.

Experiences with the Stupid Box guys? And yes I know I haven't gotten it yet, but still, may as well ask eh... :D Y'all know what GAS is heheh...

This is THE single most expensive piece of gear that's not a guitar or amp I ever bought :(

2. Pott

Pott Member

Still not here today... tracking said it got ot the post office at 7am on Saturday, figured it'd get delivered... Meh. I'm moving out on Wednesday so I hope it gets here before.

And I have a a MI Audio Blues Pro coming in tomorrow or Wednesday too at the new address...

3. Timmylikesthing

Timmylikesthing Member

Can't say anything about the stupid box, but I really like the Liquid Sunshine for a boost pedal.

Subdecay makes great pedals.

If you have any questions, Brian is really good about answering them as well.

And if this pedal doesn't float your boat, you could always try the Fulltone OCD (if you never have). It sounds to be right around where you are looking for with the stupid box.

Either way, enjoy the new toy.

Tim

4. Pott

Pott Member

Thanks! I JUST got it!!! Stoked, plugging in right now :D

5. Pott

Pott Member

Mhmm ok... I didn't get to play it for that long but...

1) this pedal is made to be played LOUD and I didn't
    2) this pedal can be tweaked quite a lot, and I didn't
    3) this pedal KICKS ass, and I didn't :D

So basically you have volume, tone and drive on the pedal. The tone is actually very useful, you can use all of its range to tailor the pedal to your amp.
    Inside you have a switch for smooth/crunch distortion, pre bass, pre treble, bass and mids.

So basically if your sound coming in is slightly muddy, reduce the pre bass, increase slightly the bass and increase midrange... possibilities are endless! You can really make this baby fit your rig perfectly. There are perhaps too many options for someone not as experimented as I. I kept treble/bass in at about 6/10, and increased bass and midrange a bit. I keep the tone at 6/10 too. It gives me a nice solid rock sound, with just enough cut... I may increase pre treble and midrange still.
    The smooth/crunch switch is quite nice. The crunch is VERY crunchy...but not overly so as to be unusable. Really like both settings but it stays in smooth right now. The switch is so fun it could perhaps have been placed outside? Dunno.

And not that it matters but I love the looks of this pedal hehehe
    Actually made me GASing for a Liquid Sunshine :laugh2: But I have a MI Audio Blues Pro coming in tomorrow so not right now eh...:D
    It's a fun pedal but I won't know entirely about just how great it is until I play it at band rehearsal/gig levels. But even right now I'm impressed.
    The sound is one of its own by the way... hard to describe. A little edgy, but in a good way? I didn't feel I wanted it smoother or anything... it was fine like it was.
    It's not got that much volume boost or gain, but enough for its application. It's a medium gain overdrive, not a huge metal sound.

6. socal63

socal63 Member

"...and since no one in my family ever buys me guitar related stuff."

Welcome to the club... 30 years now, mom asks "what would you like for your birthday?"... i say "well ma, if you wanna chip in with me to get this pedal(or insert other music related item) that would be great!" mom says, "no you need socks/pants/shirts/etc..." basically a bunch of stuff i never would wear... "thanx ma!"

as for that subdecay pedal. kinda sounds good, but man some of these sites need to concentrate on putting up thorough sound samples that put their item through its paces.... and they really need to have a professional play on their audio samples... nothing worse than hearing a guy that sounds like hes been playing all of 3 months on sound samples for pedals that are running $150 to $300 or more... except maybe a site that is selling pedals for $150 to $300 or more that doesnt have up one friggin sample of their over priced pedal theyre trying to sell you... "ya, i got $250 just burnin a hole in my pocket that i wanna throw away on a pedal that ive never heard before.... thanx ma!". :NUTS

7. Pott

Pott Member

Hehe those clips didn't bother me, I've only been playing for 3 years so I'm kind of a noob too :D
    For some reason they managed to get a great metal tone out of the Blackstar, but I can't achieve that. Maybe with something else than a 10'' speaker at bedroom level eh :D:D