• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I tried a Captor X

Guitarjon

I've been using my trusty Fractal Audio LB-2 reactive load for years now and while I love it for what it does, it's not really capable of doing more then providing a load for my amps. So I started looking at other reactive loads to see if I could spice things up a little for my studio and of course the hyped Captor X came to mind. Luckily I was able to get my hands on one so I started to mess with the unit as soon as it arrived.

Man, this thing is insane... It can do so much but a lot of those things are just so convenient and handy. Simple things like the noise gate and eq can make all the difference but being able to control all the parameters wirelessly is pretty game changing to me too!

So I made a little review video with some audio demos using the stock virtual cabs. In this video I try the Captor X with my ENGL Fireball 100, Orange TH30 and Marshall SC20H. I think it sounds pretty good and I really enjoyed working with it so far! The next test will be to see how it sounds with my OwnHammer IRs and I'm also looking forward to comparing the sound of the Fractal and Captor loads through the same IR, just to see how that makes a difference.

Here's the video:

kmanick

Silver Supporting Member
I use one with my splawn, i mixed an ownhamer 4x12 V30 Ir with a Redwirez 4x12 green back cab and it sounds awesome
very easy to use, I just wish the Attenuation wasn't so drastic it's un usable at band levels, good for late night practicing but my Splawn has a loop master that works just as well

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
I find the cabM+ to be a bit more flexible for headphone use. I just use a Weber to dummy load it so I can crank my amps with it. Honestly this sounds better than using attenuation with my real cabs. Makes it very tempting just to switch to amp heads and go this route from now on! If I ever wanted to get serious about an attenuated sound again I’d just swap the Weber out for a great reamp like the power station.

Guitarjon

I use one with my splawn, i mixed an ownhamer 4x12 V30 Ir with a Redwirez 4x12 green back cab and it sounds awesome
very easy to use, I just wish the Attenuation wasn't so drastic it's un usable at band levels, good for late night practicing but my Splawn has a loop master that works just as well
I have yet to try the attenuator function because I usually play through IRs anyway, but I'm very curious about it. Would be great if it had more steps in between but I guess it would have made the size of the unit much bigger, or something.

I have yet to try the attenuator function because I usually play through IRs anyway, but I'm very curious about it. Would be great if it had more steps in between but I guess it would have made the size of the unit much bigger, or something.
I'd love if you could measure the decibel levels with the Captor attenuating Marshall's Studio Series amps. Great video!

hessodreamy

Yeah, mine sounds pretty good. As everyone knows, it’s not very flexible as an attenuator (which is a shame as I will probably use it as such).
The simulation is good and the reverb good. The phone app seems to work ok.

one thing I preferred about the UA ox was the simulation of room sound was much better. But it is a lot more coin and also quite massive.

Guitarjon

Yeah, mine sounds pretty good. As everyone knows, it’s not very flexible as an attenuator (which is a shame as I will probably use it as such).
The simulation is good and the reverb good. The phone app seems to work ok.

one thing I preferred about the UA ox was the simulation of room sound was much better. But it is a lot more coin and also quite massive.
And it doesn't load IRs... Big no-no imho

texhex

Silver Supporting Member
Is it any quieter than the Non X Captor? I have a Suhr RL and the Captor and the Captor fan noise is noticeably louder. How is the fan noise on the Fractal? Always wanted to try one of those but they are never in stock. :(

Guitarjon

Is it any quieter than the Non X Captor? I have a Suhr RL and the Captor and the Captor fan noise is noticeably louder. How is the fan noise on the Fractal? Always wanted to try one of those but they are never in stock. :(

The fan on the Captor X definitely wasn't bad in my personal opinion. The LB-2 is super quiet though.

If you need an attenuator, the Mesa Cab Clone IR+ is great. I find IRs much simpler and generally better sounding than the Two Notes cab sims.

The impedance curves make less difference than changing an IR or even an adjustment of your amp's EQ knob. I have OX, Cab Clone IR, and Suhr RL here.

J Factor

Silver Supporting Member
The Captor X feels as natural as running through any of my cabs. I'm using mine with Ownhammer and York IRs and it works great, as does the highly flexible standard software. I think the tone through the cab is fairly scooped when using the middle attenuator setting, but the direct sounds are fantastic.

piper19

Been using the Captor X for a few months now. It's a great device for home recording/playing and I plan to use stereo XLR out for gigs if they ever return. But the attenuator is impractical. At -38dB settings, you could just ditch your cab, it's too quiet. The -20dB setting works for my 50W amps, but not for the 12W amp which goes well below gig level. I'm still using an attenuator together with the Captor for real cabs.

If Two Notes fixes the attenuator they will have stricken gold. They advertise themselves as the tool needed to regain life of your tube amps, and this is true, but I also want the real cab with my amp for live gigs and this is still not working with Captor alone.

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
Jon - great vid. I've been interested in something like this, so it's much appreciated. Wanted to mention, listening to the YT clip on headphones, there's an audible "click" on most of your video shot edits during the dialog before the playing started. Became a bit distracting after I couldn't ignore it any more.

Gray Ghost

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Captor X! I sold my Kemper as I get far better tones and feel out of the captor and HS8’s and my tube amps (Germino 1987, Mesa MKI and ‘66 Vibrolux) then I ever did with the Kemper and Kabinet. York, Ownhammer and Cab.eu make some great irs.

Guitarjon

Jon - great vid. I've been interested in something like this, so it's much appreciated. Wanted to mention, listening to the YT clip on headphones, there's an audible "click" on most of your video shot edits during the dialog before the playing started. Became a bit distracting after I couldn't ignore it any more.
Weird, I didn't notice it. I was dealing with some wind noise so that probably has to do with it...

Guitarjon

Editor's note!!: I already touched on this in the video but perhaps I should have talked about this more in-depth. The impedance curves in the Fractal are very much baked in, so the response on the UK setting will sound as if it's connected to a V30. It sounds great but it is a little limiting. Of course you also have the US voicing but that's not a kind of sound that I'm usually after. Now, the Captor X has a more generalized impedance curve and according to Two Notes this was done on purpose so that the device works well with any amp/IR type you want. You can then finetune the sound of the captor's simulated impedance curve with the enhancer and/or eq effects in the post-fx section. This makes the unit more flexible. It does mean that it takes more effort and perhaps a more trained ear to get those results but it at least means that you can get a wide range of sounds out of it. Just wanted to clarify! Cheers!

Trending Topics