I tried both speakers in Morgan AC20 deluxe(help!)

Songman

Hi,

Need some help here.

I tried ASW Elegante and Cele Blue in my Morgan AC20 Deluxe combo. No pedal. Just amp and guitar.

Elegante bring about wonderful distortion from medium gain to heavy even at lower volume.

Blue has wonderful clean with lots of chime.

However Elegante doesn't as sweet cleans as the blue and blue doesn't do the crunch heavy gain as well as the Elegante. If this is due tk wattage of speaker difference, it's counter to what I believed in terms of lower wattage speaker breaking up earlier.

My question. What speaker will do Blue clean with Elegante gain? Again, without pedal as this amp has more than enough crunch on it's own.

Thanks!

mcarte07

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 10PM, the 10 watt version of the AC20. I tried a UK made Blue and didn't like it compared to the ASW KTS70 that Joe recommended. The 70 sounds like it was made for the amp. Great clean and driven. Highly recommend it

jamison162

Can't go wrong with the KTS70 or KTS60. If you are looking for another alnico speaker, the WGS Blackhawk 50 absolutely rocks as does the new Invader 50 greenback copy.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
I just got an unloaded Morgan 1 X 12 to use w/ my AC20 deluxe. Wondering what to stick in it for best chimey cleans and jangly grind. Was leaning towards a Blue but open to other suggestions.

nimh

I just got an unloaded Morgan 1 X 12 to use w/ my AC20 deluxe. Wondering what to stick in it for best chimey cleans and jangly grind. Was leaning towards a Blue but open to other suggestions.
I am interested in hearing what people have to say about this as well.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
ASW Absolute.

Do a search for more info.
+1

I have Absolute retoned Celestion Blue that was targeted to go into a THD 2x12 (with a another Blue), but when I put it in my AC15HW there was no way I was taking it out. Sweet chime, great crucnh, gone was the ice-pick, the amp sounds like a Vox now.

I also have a Absolute that I just swapped into my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia and swapped out a Clestion Blue with about 10+ years of break in time. I hardly noticed a difference. I wanna say the Absolute is maybe just a tad quieter and maybe just a tad sweeter, but I really haven't done any back and forth testing. Sweet sounding cleans that go into a nice crunch. Love 'em!

ChazMania

Gold Supporting Member
Bro- the ASW Absolute is the biz in the AC20- I seriously wouldn't change a thing about it.

Anthony Gring

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you my brothers. I will look into the Absolute. Also, I was surprised in a good way by the rather large size of the Morgan 1 x 12.

solitaire

Often a speaker that does distorted well doesn't do cleans as well, and vice verse. Nature of the beast. Oddly enough though, those Fanes I've been using seem to do both pretty well. I figure it's the definition through out the frequency spectrum with the present and alnico like mids and rolled off highs that somehow make them clear and present enough for cleans yet room on top for distortion without getting abusive in any way.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Didn't see the Absolute on their website?

BTW, how much is this gonna cost me!?! :)
Yeah, they seriously need to update their website. I bought mine used, but my understanding is they are they same price as the Elegante so they aint cheap!

eksfiles

Why don't you consider a WGS Black and Blue speaker. Much better then Celstion Blues, and cheaper. Built in the USA and at $225 thats a heck of price for such a great speaker.

I should know, my Morgan loves that speaker. Imagine a nice broken in Blue with chime and smooth grit. I think Joe used to use WGS before he switched to ASW.

jamison162

Why don't you consider a WGS Black and Blue speaker. Much better then Celstion Blues, and cheaper. Built in the USA and at $225 thats a heck of price for such a great speaker.

I should know, my Morgan loves that speaker. Imagine a nice broken in Blue with chime and smooth grit. I think Joe used to use WGS before he switched to ASW.
Not to mention WGS supplies parts to ASW.

snod911

I love the KTS-70 in my DAG15, but am wondering how a Scumnico would sound. Anyone tried a Scumnico in a Morgan?

cgharrison

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 30 watt Scumnico in my DAG15, and it sounds unbelievable. The blue that was in there before was nice, but one dimensional. Aggressive chime only. The Scumnico can do pretty, full cleans, big overdrive, and chimey as well. Highly, highly recommended.

Trending Topics