• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I tried to pick up the real book today...

stratmaster48

It's difficult. I haven't had lessons or done any theory work in almost 4 years. I called my old jazz teacher, but he hasn't called me back yet. Can anybody help me out?

Sadhaka

What do you want help with, picking the book up? Just grab it and lift it up!!!

Sorry mate! But seriously, what is the prob, chords or melodies?

ocripes

Silver Supporting Member
Pick an easy song; one that you know the melody. (Or get a recording).

Play the chords in time, but slow. Nothing fancy. Listen to the changes.

Don't know a chord? Look it up somewhere.

Try to play all the changes in one area of the neck, say w/in four or five threats.

Play an arpeggio for each chord, in time.

There's a few ideas that ought to work.

Aebersold series of improvisation books have nice standards to allow a progressive approaching to the Real Book. The Hancock volume is quite recommended to begginers.

Regards

V54DS.jpg

JonR

+1 on the above book.

Can you read notation? Essential for getting into jazz, even at this basic level.
(No wonder the Real Book looks like jibberish if you can't ;) )

Swain

Yeah, order the Aebersold book. And ask them for the "Jazz Handbook". It's usually added FREE with your order. It's got a lot of good tips, etc. A good reference for getting into this stuff.

Also, you can usually "reduce" the extended chords to basic Major, Minor, and Dominant chords. Here's some useful voicings:

----------------------------------------------|-------------------------------
----------------------------------------------|-------------------------------
---9-----9----9----9----8------8-------8------|---4-----3----2----3----3------
---9-----8----7----8----8------8-------7------|---2-----2----2----2----1------
----------------------------------------------|---3-----3----3----3----3------
---8-----8----8----8----8------8-------8------|-------------------------------
CM7 C7 C6 C7 Cm7 Cm7b5 Cdim.7 CM7 C7 C6 C7 Cm7
------------------|
------------------|
---3-------2------|
---1-------1------|
---3-------3------|
Cm7b5 Cdim.7

stratmaster48

no, i can read it all, i just can't sight read like I used to. It's actually requiring work on my end. what are some more easy ones that would be in my book?

stratmaster48

I have the WB just JAZZ real book. I pulled it open to learn SPAIN again. I wrote out all of the notes, and was listening to it and it's in the wrong key, so i can't play along with it. I ended up learning it by ear, but i want to be able to read and write with proficiency again, so the ear won't have to bail me out every time.

JonR

I have the WB just JAZZ real book. I pulled it open to learn SPAIN again. I wrote out all of the notes, and was listening to it and it's in the wrong key, so i can't play along with it. I ended up learning it by ear, but i want to be able to read and write with proficiency again, so the ear won't have to bail me out every time.
Transpose it to the key of your recording (write it out). Good exercise!

Guinness Lad

Nothing much to say other then you need something less difficult to start with until this begins to appear easier. If you can't understand it right now why bother? It sounds like you to go back to starting line and re-aquaint yourself with sight/note reading again. There is no simple way about it.

You can download the Jazz Handbook (or at least most of it , according to the description) at the Aebersold site.

http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JAZZ&Category_Code=_HANDBOOK

Thanks!

I notice they have a Fall Sale going on. Any titles on the list of for-sale items that people here like? I've been looking at the books by JJ Johnson, Barry Finnerty ("Serious Jazz" books), and Peter Deneff's Jazz Hanon books (because I still play some keys on the side) in particular.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom