I tried two amps last night for the 1st time... WOW

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GenoBluzGtr, Jul 13, 2008.

1. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have always been pretty minimalist (not extreme... blues gigs, I always just take amp / Guitar / Cable and a tuner.

My cover band does alot of oldies, blues, southern/classic rock, country, etc... so I have to use a couple of pedals to cover some tunes.

Was having some issues with headroom during a few recent outdoor gigs (no mic'd amps in this band!) and was contemplating picking up a super reverb or twin for those gigs.

Our bass player has a nice silverface deluxe reverb he brought and suggested that I hook it up with my Tweed Bassman using the two outputs on my stereo chorus pedal.

WOW! is all I can say. I have never tried the two-amp thing but I now see what all the fuss is about!

The Bassman is a early RI with a PTP conversion and I love the tone. For my personal tastes, it would do everything I ever needed. However, with the DR hooked up in parallel, reverb on the DR, but delay (a little slapback) only feeding the Bassman, what a sound. I had the entire frequency spectrum covered. The DR was brighter and cleaner with that 12" speaker thing going. The Bassman had the warm mids, darker tone, and the punch of 10" speakers.

When I actually turned on the chorus, I couldn't believe how lush and spread out the chorus sound was. Amazing! Loads of bottom end, tight, thumpy and clear. Singing leads When I kicked on my Zendrive and RC Booster.

I think I am thoroughly ruined. If I could only convince the bass player to lug my second amp around, I'd be okay with it.

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

Wow, sounds sweet. Two of the amps I'd like to get acquainted with. Thanks for the GAS!

If you are having headroom issues with a tweed Bassman reissue, you're playing bigger places than I do!

Crikey

3. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

I love the sound of a tweed run in stereo with a BF/SF.

I Deluxes and Champs this way. You get the best of both worlds - and more, when using stereo effects.

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

When I had the BF DR, used to run it together with the '58 Gibson GA40. Two rather different 6v6 tones, added up to something completely different, and beautiful.

5. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

I've tried (and loved) the tweed/blackface combination also, but had difficulties with hum and ground loops. What type of stereo chorus pedal are you using as your splitter?

6. Shawn S.

Shawn S. Member

I only like chorus split between two amps, it can be very subtle if you like, and I think that's what I like about it.

I had that holy crap realization too! I don't play in enough rock settings to always use two amps, but I definitely do it when I can really open them up. (Same BF/Tweed situation with a Deluxe Reverb and a Tweed Pro circuit).

I bought a Hum-X from Musician's Friend which eliminates the ground loop hum while still keeping you and your electricity safe, for 60 bucks. I was using a amp switcher at first with ground lift, but I like the sound of both amps on all the time it didn't really justify the use.

7. nnick

nnick Member

I just did the same thing with my Top Hat Club Royale and my Vox AC30CC. I ran stereo out of my Boss RV-3 and it sounded amazing. The last thing I want to do is carry 2 amps to every gig but I am very tempted to give it a try.

8. lakesider

lakesider Member

Lift one amp and lift the pedalboard too if it has a powersupply.
    I love 2 amps. I love how the pedals react differently to them.
    I usually have one amp set a little dirtier and the other for the cleaner headroom.
    2nd amp can be pretty darn small and it will still give you quite a lift.

9. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

The end of the signal chain on my board is a single input to a Fulltone ChoralFlange. The stereo outs from the ChoralFlange run to the stereo inputs on a DL-4, and then stereo outs on the DL-4 to the amps.

Very nice swirly stereo flanging from the ChoralFlange, and great stereo delays from the DL-4.

No hum - at least no more than usual with Fender gear and single coils...

10. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I sortof expected this problem, but it didn't happen. I did have some minor feedback issues, but I am not sure if it was due to the two amp setup or my TX Special strat pups too close to the back end of our mains.

The set up was Strat (HSS Lone Star) into a Budda Wah (rarely used), Boss Tuner, ZenDrive, RC Booster, Boss CH-1 Chorus (cheap but it sounds best to me!), Pharoah Amps Echo Jr. Vintage Delay (set to slapback).

I came out of the CH1's "A" output to the delay pedal then into the Bassman. Then straight from the "B" output to the DR.

My pedal board uses a Pedal Power (the first version), so I plugged that and BOTH amps into the same power strip to get them all grounded together. Never had any noise or hum issues.

The cool thing was having the delay on the Bassman (no reverb) and the 'verb on the SFDR turned up to about 3-4. Nice, lush, full-bodied cleans with lots of punch, snap, and balls. Digging in or switching to the humbucker got me 80% of the leads I needed, and the Zen is the perfect OD pedal for classic rock/blues/southern rock etc... I had a Direct Drive on my board as well, but it only came on for about two songs that need some extra distortion/OD and I think the Zendrive would have been enough anyway.

As for the loudness/headroom of the Bassman, it's double whammy. I only have issues in very large venues or outdoor gigs. My Bassman is converted to PTP, I run a 5U4 and 5881s for that nice, dark, smooth tone that I like and I bridge the channels, but plug into Normal #2. I find Bright to be too gritty for my tastes, but it does have more headroom.

I could probably shift to a 5AR4 and 6L6s and use the amp without bridging channels and get noticeably more headroom, but I just simply love the feel and feedback I get from the amps tone when using my setup.

11. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

Tried it again last night with better results hum-wise. I used a Boss DD20 as the splitter and had very little noise. I didn't experiment enough to know if it's the DD20 that made the difference or the way in which things were plugged in, but the noise floor went way down. The setup was Strat -> Klon -> Keeley CE-2 -> DD20 -> BF Super Reverb / Tweed Deluxe. I couldn't turn it up too much because I was playing at home, but what a beautiful sound! I think I'll buy a Hum-X for extra insurance, and start doing this more often.