I try and try, but I can't get into compression v. have a tone press

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 31, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I previously owned a cs3, which absolutely sucked. I bought a tone press hoping that I would learn to love the effect, but I just can't get into it. The tone press seems to remove some mid-high range and replace it with mid-low, which leads to a SOMEWHAT muffled tone, but still retains clarity. I have adjusted to internal trim pot to try different tonal variations, and completely clockwise retains the most mid-high range, but still has a noticeable effect on my tone. Also, I have tried the tone press both in front of and after my vht valvulator, but the tone change is still apparent.

Is this inherent in all compressors? Maybe I am realizing that I don't actually like compressors, and the effect that they have on natural dynamics. I was looking for a subtle thickening effect, and this does it, but it changes my tone. I don't know about this one, anyone else feel where I am coming from with the distaste for dynamic change?

2. Seegs

Seegs Member

You may or may not like or need compression but IMO when you find the right one for your setup there will be no question about how to use it and whether you need it or not...the compressors I like best are the ones you notice when you turn em off and immediatly want to turn em back on...I don't use compression as an effect...

IME the Tone press thickened my tone and worked better for me as a low gain solo boost...

there were certain things I liked about it this was not one of em as my rig didn't need thickening...the fairy dust setting was nice but ultimitly the constant fattening translated into woof with my setup...I had two of em just to make sure...

if money is no object try a BJF Pale/Pine Green compressor if you want sparkle...tone ehhancement and subtle compression or on a budget an Okko CoCo Comp which will give you a tighter thickening without losing the top end...both are great clean...dirty and with acoustics...

all comps. will change your tone in someway the question is do you want or need it and do you like the change...the CoCo and PGC are both very musical and don't have the typical negative compressor side effects...ie. plink plink attack...squashed dynamic range and loss of high end...YMMV!

Chow,
    Seegs

3. devinb

devinb Member

If you want thickening, try a Fulltone Fat-Boost...when I first got mine, I was immediately disappointed by what seemed like it not doing much, a couple days later it was my favorite pedal, and I just leave it on now.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I know exactly what you mean about compressors. The pedal versions typically have ratios that I would never use in a mix session, as well as fixed attack/release times, that may or may not be ideal for guitar.

I recently found the Maxon CP9 Pro+ Compressor/Limiter, which is the only I know of that uses the actual patented dbx compression circuit. More importantly, it has a Threshold control and Ratio control, so you can set the most important parameters to your taste. It's also a great clean boost with a very nice studio-like presence.

Using a 2:1 Ratio and a Threshold set to my taste, you can't tell that it's on and when it kicks in, it's smooth and musical, with no unwanted effect on dynamics, unless you set it that way.

Highly recommended. I just got a near new one on eBay for $140 shipped. They're around $220 street price.

http://godlyke.com/shopping/pgm-mor...scat=13&frompage=Online_Store&page_num=1&=SID

5. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Anyone else have suggestions on other brands?

6. john b

john b Supporting Member

I use a Diamond compressor. It's nice because it can be very subtle, or squishy, if you want it. It also has an e.q knob so, when the squish comes on, you can boost the e.q and not loose your high end.

This is the first compressor I've had in a long time. It's very good and reasonably transparent. I'm not completely convinced about compression but I do really like to use the pedal with my o.d pedals. It really brings something out in them.

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

after buying the analogman mini bi-comp, having doubts and trying a barber tone press for a few days, ive grown to love the mini bi-comp. tone press didnt change the tone enough for me, if that makes sense. it really depends on what youre looking for, but for me the mini bi-comp is it.

8. drod2045

drod2045 Member

I have a tone press. But one that intrigues me that I havent tired is Anaolgman's bi-comp. it has two sides...the squishy traditional side and the transparent side. If i had the cash, Id try it out

9. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi I have a Hartman compressor a replica from teh Dan Armstrong Orange Sqeezer, its a great sounding pedal.
    Peace Strat58

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Eh, I'm just not sure what a compressor would really do for me. I have a humbucker in my strat, and a quarter pounder in my tele, both very high output pickups.

My original hope was that the compressor would raise the levels when I was doing some tapping, but it turned out that it rounded off the tone while raising volume. I barely had the controls engaged on the tone press, and the tone change didn't really work for me.