I un-modded my DS-1 and I realized...

KBN

... that Boss knew what they were doing all along.

I modded my DS-1 years ago after reading Brian Wampler's Premier Guitar article about it. I tried a bunch of different things with varying levels of success and then put it away. Pulled it out recently and couldn't find my notes about what I had done to it so I found a schematic and put it back to stock. Well, wouldn't you know that it sounds pretty damn great.

KBN

Correct. I've done the same Wampler mod and preferred it stock. I don't like how he voices his own pedals and sometimes stock is best.
In Wampler's defense, I should have stated that his article was only a jumping off point. I tried a number of other mods as well.

There was a TPS episode a year ago or so after Dan had purchased a vintage DS-1. He was raving about how great it was, and then they AB’d it with a brand new one. It sounded near identical, you could see the disappointment on their faces. Anywayyy, all of this to say a regular old DS-1 of any era sounds great in the right context.

KBN

There was a TPS episode a year ago or so after Dan had purchased a vintage DS-1. He was raving about how great it was, and then they AB’d it with a brand new one. It sounded near identical, you could see the disappointment on their faces. Anywayyy, all of this to say a regular old DS-1 of any era sounds great in the right context.
Ha. I'll have to look that up.

coltonius

Señor Member
Shnobel did a stock vs vintage vs modded shootout. That video saved me some dollars.

The only mod needed is in your brain to not turn the tone past 10:00
With a stock DS-1, moderation is definitely key. The Wampler mods are actually pretty good for expanding the “usable” range but I like to keep a stock unit around just all same!

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I messed around with those and some variations on an ld beat up DS-1. Tried to put it back to stock,didn't sound right, lost interest.

jimijimmyjeffy

I've liked a DS1 every time I've heard one. Not my style but I enjoy hearing everyone else use one. Perhaps they are underrated.

Sean Mac

Silver Supporting Member
Picked up a MIJ DS1 locally for 60 euros a few months ago.

A nasty little box in a good way.

Another colour in the paintbox :)

jvin248

I had bought a second ds1 so I could mod and have a baseline. Somehow I decided to try them stacked as stock and the pair together are better than one alone. I call it my six knob boutique pedal. Never modded either.

I have modded an MT2 Metal Zone with the WazaCraft changes and it's a lot more impressive.

sonic1974

I saw that. It was pretty funny.

Hawkmoon269

I saw a used DS1 at GC for $23 and I bought it, dreaming of all of the sweet mods I would be doing. Got it home and opened it up and it was surface mounted. :( But it sounds like it just saved me a lot of time.

I dig the stock tone. I think it’s funny how the Tone Knob seems to affect the entire character of the pedal, the compression and the overall level. Glad I’m not alone in thinking that 10:00 is the magic setting for this knob.

Pewtershmit

I bit into the keeley modded craze back in the day. All said and done when compared it wasn’t all that different, I remember paying a lot of money for it too.

DS-1 does what it does and if you don’t like it, there are lots of other options.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I saw a used DS1 at GC for $23 and I bought it, dreaming of all of the sweet mods I would be doing. Got it home and opened it up and it was surface mounted. :( But it sounds like it just saved me a lot of time.

I dig the stock tone. I think it’s funny how the Tone Knob seems to affect the entire character of the pedal, the compression and the overall level. Glad I’m not alone in thinking that 10:00 is the magic setting for this knob.
Boss put DS-1 (B) into production in mid 2017 the latest and it was substantially redesigned on the base of SMD technology.

Trending Topics