I used to like Joe Walsh, but...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarpedaladdict, Dec 8, 2018.

1. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Supporting Member

Holy F! After watching him perform last night in Hawaii, my appreciation for him as a guitarist and performer went through the roof. At 71 years old, the man was on fire in all aspects of his performance!!! Between Walsh and Steuart Smith, the lead guitar work was just about flawless and down right inspiring (Smith is unreal). The show included Vince Gill and Deacon Fry doing a wonderful job picking up the Glen Fry vocals. While Don Henley's voice shows his age to the more critical ears among us (I'm guessing most of TGP), his joy for performing their music was evident and carried his performance. Having been a fan since I was 7 years old (The first album I ever bought was The Long Run in 1979 at age 8), it was such a joy to see them play and to see that they clearly still love what they do. Their performance lasted for 2.5 hours and was absolutely off the charts.

If you are a fan and get a chance, I would go!

[​IMG]

2. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

Joe Walsh is in my top 3 guitarists.

Excellent and like able musician. He was the soundtrack of my teenage years.

3. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

He’s a ham.

An amateur radio man!

And and impressive guitar player!

4. guitarpedaladdict

I've always been a fan of Joe Walsh, but seeing him live was truly special. When he and Steuart did the guitar parts to "Those Shoes" the reverberation through the stadium took me back to concerts of olden days (lol).

retrobob, Judge Smails, BobK and 2 others like this.
  5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I think he's one of the most talented and inspiring musicians out there.

6. Frankenstratocaster

Frankenstratocaster Member

I'm a James Gang nut, lol. Too young to have seen them in their prime, though.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Funny how for decades the only person who paid attention to Walsh was Howard Stern. Everyone else seemed to bail on him while he was on the bottle.
    He is an example of a super comeback IMHO.

johnetone, 5F6-A, retrobob and 16 others like this.
  8. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

Saw them on their last tour 6 months before Frey’s death. They were awesome - Joe, especially! While I liked a bunch of Eagles tunes, I wasn’t what I would call a huge fan. But, that show was easily Top 10 of concerts I’ve ever seen (and, I’ve been lucky enough to see quite a few great ones).

9. Mejis

Mejis Member

I love that the same guy who played on all of those heartfelt Eagles tunes also brought us “ILBTs” (and that is in no way a criticism!). I’ve always liked his playing.

10. seward

seward Member

He was a radio staple in the 70s (James Gang, Eagles, solo), so one tended to ignore/forget about him...I got older, and I revisited some of the stuff that used to be on the radio all of the time (e.g. Funk #49).

Dude can play guitar. In fact, he's actually a bit of a motherf***** on the thing.

dvilla76, cheetah77, BozoTone and 8 others like this.
  11. bettset

bettset Member

i met joe when i was in college. it was about a couple of years before he became sober. he was a mess. he looked me right in the face and told me to never drink and drive.......crawl home drunk. he had a limo so he had no worries. we sat and played for a bit. his hands are huge and his dexterity is too. he looks better now than ever and i hope he continues on. just so much musical history with this guy.......which is priceless :munch

johnetone, Zappatalist, DC1 and 9 others like this.
  12. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

Saw James gang in 1970 open for Steve Miller.
    Joe was amazing. Like seeing Led Zepplin. Nobody knew who he was and blew the Santa Monica Civic Adutorium away. Had front row seats directly in front of Joe. Could have rested my heels on the stage. Awesome!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  13. MattC

MattC Member

Joe’s got major soul and is awesome. But I’m surprised to hear that Henley appeared joyous on stage.

14. ddeand

ddeand Member

Saw him with the Eagles this summer, and he playef a great complementary second guitar to Vince Gill for the first half of the show. After that, it was the Joe Walsh Show! He literally took command and blew the concert apart! It was stunning, and I was impressed. Couldn’t have been more fun! (This is a three “!” review)

15. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

He was my first post beatles guitar hero ... never fallen out of top 5 ....
    He had an interesting effect on my playing that continues til today... this was, of course, pre internet/mtv so you had to learn by listening... I spent alot of time trying to master his 'slippery' lead style .... got pretty good at it .....and a few years later I heard about this thing called a 'slide' ;)

Dee S One, DC1, xjojox and 3 others like this.
  16. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I saw the James Gang and Beck, Bogart, and Appice back in the day and the James Gang opened. Jeff Beck stood behind the amps smoking a cigar and watched their whole set. He's also a fan.

rauchman, Jim Jones, beanbass and 9 others like this.
  17. guitarpedaladdict

That was pretty much what happened last night, he took the show home, it couldn't have been better.

I wouldn't go so far as to describe him as joyous as a performer, but he was clearly right in there with everyone and genuinely seemed to be enjoying himself. Particularly at the end, they closed with "Please Come Home for Christmas" and he seemed to be beaming.

18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Chrissie Hynde had a photo of The James Gang in her book & captioned it something about "the Kent State band".

8raw, Fatherflot and Tripower455 like this.
  19. guitarpedaladdict

If you can make it through the 2 minutes, this was a wonderful wonderful moment that shows he's still wild and crazy after all these years.

Amplifier Owner and shawnoh like this.
  20. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I saw Joe with the James Gang and Barnstorm. He was awesome both times. I never got to see the Eagles and probably won't unless a ticket falls into my lap or something. But that's OK. Maybe I'll see him solo sometime.

Glad you caught a good show!

johnetone and bluwoodsman like this.