I`ve solved my pedalboard issues.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Oddos, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Oddos

Oddos Member

Without buying anything. lol

Ok. After thinking for years about designing the ideal board, I`ve started thinking a bit. The fact is that I rarly use more than 4-6 pedals on a gig anyway, and it doesn`t take all that many patch cables before I feel my tone starts to suffer. So instead of buying my super big ultimate board, I just gonna use my Pedal Train junior. I prefer the feel of the volume and wah pedal straight on the floor anyway and for reverb and delay I generally go rack.

So I`m just avoiding the whole headache and just having all my pedals(which is starting to become an insane amount) ready velcroed on big shelf in my music room, and just grab whatever I feel I need or want to play around with for each gig. A bunch of ready made patch cables in my most used lengths makes it easy.

So now I can spend my money on........yiiiiikes!!!! EVEN MORE PEDALS!!!!:BOUNCE

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

Wow, that´s poetic - and confusing as well at first sight :p :) I definitely go the same way - less is more.

For me it´s the most reasonable way since I use just a few effects and don´t have the time for tap dancing because of quick changes in the songs. Even for safety reasons. There are so many occasions at a gig in which the gear can be stolen and I couldn´t buy all that stuff again in the near future.

3. Oddos

Oddos Member

Yeah. Nothings ever been stolen, but it`s a good point.

The shelfs are BIG though, and they`re more like five, so I`m not sure about the less.:p But, I love to play around with them, and it`s a lot less expensive than collecting amps.

All those pedals is just fun and a hobby for me, and it`s like a game. I just change a pedal and see if I can make it work for the same thing that it replaced. Then when I`ve gotten to know that pedal, I try something different just for kicks.

I have a drummer friend that sort of works like this too. He has like a whole house filled with percussion stuff. When he goes to a gig he just looks around and picks things just randomly on feeling, and then challenges himself to work creatively with those limitations when he gets to the gig.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

While I am still going for a ridiculous giant setup (but not just for "effects," I want stereo looping and guitar-on-B3 sounds for the blues/rock/classical music I want to make... It just happens to require 2-2.5 pedalboards)...

However, I have no problem picking 2-4 pedals and slapping them on the smaller pedalboard and heading out the door for certain situations.

I have been known to grab a boost, compressor or envelope filter and just take that one pedal along to a jam in the guitar case pocket (no big E-H pedals)....

5. Oddos

Oddos Member

If it`s what one wants. Go for it. I`m not trying to influence anyone. It`s just me.

I`ve done it this way for a while just so I could keep checking things out until I found the ulitmate stuf for me before I laid down money on a big board or switching system. And now I`m getting used to it.

I played professionally for two years a while back with just a Voodoo-1, a Silver mod TS-9 and a Clone Chorus. With the two channels on my amp there was very little I couldn`t do. Sometimes I brought and octafuzz just for kicks.

These days it`s often just take a Cot 50 Red. I don`t have a Blue yet, but I think I have to get one of those too. The Red is a little too hot for some things, but it`s soooooooooo nice.

I`m starting to get this thing for dirt pedals. I wouldn`t be surprised if I reached a 100 in a couple of years. But they`re all different, interesting and challenging to figure out.

6. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

That's what I do. No more than 4-5 pedals on the board at any one time. Lots more on the shelf. I mix and match as the mood strikes me.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Oddos,

Judging by your amps, Pro and an OD100 Classic, you really don't need many pedals, those are great amps.

8. Oddos

Oddos Member

lol

I know. I just dig pedals. I`m a Hendrix/Landau type player so I prefer distortion from pedals. I do a lot of freelance stuff in all sorts of styles though, and all types of volume levels so it`s nice to have different options. But mostly, it`s just the old disease. It`s the only addiction I have though, I don`t even have a slight interest in things like cars , boats and so on, and tools don`t have to be super high quality as long as they work, I can always borrow something from my neighbour anyway.

So a pedal or two a month... It`s sort of my thing. My kind of toys.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I was gonna say...that's how Landau's running his gear at present. He's got a dinky bit of Ply with his staple pedals on it with his Vol & Wah off to the side...i even believe he's got the Lexicon unit in the loop??
    Simple's often the best...otherwise it's buffer time, can't stand em myself.

10. Oddos

Oddos Member

He sometimes brings only the Lexcon and puts it in the loop, but usually he mikes the cab go into the mic. pre, then the Lex and to the Marshall 8008, like I do. It`s also the simplest way to go with the Pro without modifying it, and it sounds a bit better, to me anyway.

He still has his little pedal rack too, but doesn`t use it with his trio anymore.

I haven`t seen his new board. I`m stil looking for a picture of it. He has a nice selection of fun pedals for sessions and recording though. I`m sort of a traditionalist when it comes to sound too, but I like to play around.

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

He surely is one of my fave players. Tone, feel and versatility...great taste in gear too :)

12. Oddos

Oddos Member

Yep. He`s almost the only guitarplayer that has excited me for years and still does. There`s just a little extra something in his touch and feel.

I guess I`m guilty in coping him a bit, but his choices just resonate with me. Those Buning Water and Raging Honkies records have my all time favourite tone. And the one on the new upcoming record is just insane.

I didn`t care much for the Blue Horn thing, though. But that`s just me.

13. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I like that approach. I think of pedals as tools to be used in the proper situation. I'm not really keen on the notion of pedalboard-as-palette.

14. Oddos

Oddos Member

Yeah. I used to love that stuff in my formative years, and I still enjoy listening to players like that, especially live, but it`s not my thing anymore. I just got into this time, touch, feel and attitude thing, which I feel very few players have today, in the same sense. That willingness to go the extra mile and let go of some inner energy to make a note sound like yourself and touch someones heart on a vibrational level.

I think it`s interesting to follow the guys that push the technology envelope, though. Lots of nice stuff. Just doesn`t feel like me in the same way. It`s almost like going to a classical concert, or something like that.

I sort of view my electric almost as an acoustic instrument with a few extr expression amplifiers.

Ok. I`m talking a lot of **** now, so I`m just gonna stop.