1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

I want a 335 but...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Taylor Gretsch, May 29, 2020.

1. Taylor Gretsch

Taylor Gretsch Member

...I don’t have $3k+ (Cdn) to spend on one new. So, my question is two fold: what less expensive alternatives are there out there - either that have stood the test of time or are the hot new thing - that people have/have their eye on, OR, is the real thing worth the cost?

2. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I'm kind of intrigued by the Larry Carlton Sire 335.
    Don't know much about it yet, but it looks good, and LC helped design it as i understand.

MGT, CjRuckus, EarleG and 3 others like this.
  3. Patrick Ginnaty

Patrick Ginnaty Member

I always buy used guitars. That being said, springing for a "historic" is probably worth the price. My historic LP is far better than the other 10 that I had previously. I bought my R8 used, as was my 335. Be patient, find the right one.

4. MarkV

MarkV Member

Eastman T386 or T486 get a lot of praise.
    Got myself the T386 and I am digging it. Really nice guitar and plays great.

5. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

There are many semi-hollow double-cutaways out there (Epiphone, Gretsch, Guild, etc.) that would do the trick just fine, even if they needed a pickup swap. But a used ES-335 from the early 90s can be had for under two grand (USD), and that's what I'd be looking for.

Norm N Playin likes this.
  6. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I'd ad a used Heritage H535 to that list of things to look for in a solid ES335 substitute. Heritage guitars are made in the original Gibson factory in Kalamazoo Michigan, so the institutional knowledge of the build is very present - you'd have to search eBay and Reverb for one, maybe even the GC used listings for one, but it's well worth the time to take a look.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

ES-333 is pretty cool. Heritage 535 can be fantastic.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My 335 Historic is far above other 335s, very comparable to great real vintage...

if you want the feel of the real thing it’s worth waiting and looking for imo. I had a great Heritage, but the Historic (and a couple of VOS I know well) is a whole ‘nother level imo.

Patrick Ginnaty, Cee Flatt and BarryE like this.
  9. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

For a very small investment you could start out with an Epiphone ES-335 pro. Epiphone has been making a 335 almost as long as the original.
    I got mine about 2 months ago and have really bonded with it. I love the neck more than any other guitar I own (which are all mostly top-tier instruments) and I am finding the pickups pretty darn good.
    And again..it's just a small investment to get your feet wet. If it doesn't do it for you turning it around would probably not result in a loss.

10. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Patrick Ginnaty, Lucidology and Jon C like this.
  11. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

While the initial statement is true, Gibson has manufactured ES3-- guitars in only 3 facilities: Kalamazoo, Nashville, and Memphis. The Epiphone factories since 1970 are beyond counting.

Taylor Gretsch likes this.
  12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I also would go with a Heritage 535. There are a couple of lightly used examples (demo's?), from Chicago Music Exchange, on Reverb for $2,295 with free shipping.

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I had an Epi Dot for a couple of years. I replaced the pickups and tuners and put flats on it.

It was a jazz machine. Very affordable, very playable. I wound up giving it to a jazz student several years ago.

t3po, guitrr, Alan Dunn and 8 others like this.
  14. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Which is as good or better than the Gibson according to the salesman in Savannah who sells both.

nlopez, guitrr, Hari Seldon and 3 others like this.
  15. PeterG

PeterG Member

Get a used Yamaha SA2200. Can be had for around $1300. Ebony fingerboard, push-pull tone controls, impeccable quality. With some effort can be made to sound like a 335.

16. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

My experience had been the same. Owned a lot of Gibson USA before ever having a historic. Now I have 2 historic LPs and 2 historic 335s. Will never spend money in the regular stuff again... the difference is just too big and prices not that far off.

17. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Worth pitching them an offer a few hundred under, too! Several of those were on sale for Memorial Day at around $1950, as I snagged a 530 when I saw it dip below $2k myself. They might be willing to wiggle if it's just a few days out.

guitrr and slider313 like this.
  18. nosdoc

nosdoc Supporting Member

With some better pickups, and despite being encased in poly, those old MIJ Matsumoku Epiphone Sheratons and Rivieras from the early 80's are special. Can still be had for round 1200 if you look hard enough and are patient enough...

Alan Dunn and Lt Dak like this.
  19. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

Brooks, Steadfastly, wvpv and 9 others like this.