I Want a Guitar That Looks Like a Tele, Feels Like a Strat, and Sounds Like a Les Paul

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Rod. It was two humbuckers but now the bridge is a BN Mississippi Queen P90. Nice bit of quack between the P90 and Strat Middle.

jape

G&L ASAT is an amazing, versatile tele style guitar. It can rip and can cover similar ground to Les Paul, but I wouldn't say it soudns like one.
The ASAT Deluxe was my first thought also.

The Fender Blacktop Tele ( no longer sold new? ) & the current Fender Standard HH Tele would be close, but no forearm contour on these.

I haven't played them, but the Micheal Kelly T-style series have both the belly & forearm cuts. They make an HH model that might be worth looking into. I know several TGP'ers have mentioned them in recent threads.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Silver Supporting Member
you can also put a "conversion neck" on a Tele body - one that is the Gibson 24 3/4 scale length to help you get closer to that LP tone with the right string tension. lots of good suggestions in this thread.

VHS analog

Custom shop Lacabronita with a vintage Les Paul Deluxe mini humbucker in the bridge.

Last edited:

icr

I want a guitar that looks like a PRS, sounds like a G&L, plays like a Gibson and cost like a Cort with a case like a Heritage and binding like a D'Angelico and tailpiece like a Music Man and a headstock like a Peavey and pickups like a Jackson and strap lugs like an ESP and a fingerboard like an Ibanez and controls like an Epiphone and a neck like a Fender and frets like a Hamer and a top like a BC Rich and inlays like a Yamaha and a bridge like a Gretsch and a back like a Rickenbacker with seven strings that plays like a six string on the top frets but plays like an 8 string on the lower frets with a tobacco sunburst that looks like a lemonburst with sunset light shining at a 45 degree angle off the top when playing....

ahab

Why not get a fender for those times when you want to play a guitar for the way it looks and feels and get a Les Paul for those times when you want a guitar that sounds like a Les Paul? I really don't think you are going to find a guitar that combines the three qualities that you are looking for without significant compromise. And, in my experience at least, sticking a humbucker in a 25.5 inch scale, bolt-on neck guitar with significantly different wood and body thickness is not the answer. A humbucker in a tele simply makes a tele sound like a tele with a humbucker; it really is a different sound than a Les Paul.

Last edited:

howthewestwas1

Silver Supporting Member
Fano TC6. Tele body shape, 25.5" neck, and you can have them made with mahogany body/neck and dual humbuggies.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Gustavsson, I don't know about playability but it's basically a Les Paul (scale, woods, pickups) with a Tele shape. Seems like it'd be pretty close to me.

I have to agree with the '72 tele deluxe. My buddy has the reissue, and his uncle has a beat up original and that is an insane guitar. It feels alot like a mix of a strat and a les paul. Only bummer is that there is no whammy. But I've been eyeing a few used ones and almost got one for $350 on craigslist then ditched out last minute because I had just bought a gibson sg. Almost wish I would have postponed the SG and gotten the tele.

Rotten

Silver Supporting Member
I like the G&L ASAT Korina with two humbuckers. It has a stop tail piece which gives it a more Gibson flair. It's also a softer attack than a typical tele style guitar which leans more towards Gibson.