1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I want a LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jconway747, Feb 13, 2008.

1. jconway747

jconway747 Member

I stuck between getting a Standard or a Custom Shop 1958 VOS Standard Plain-Top. Am I missing any differences between these or are they pretty much the same? Would it be worth paying the extra money for the VOS one? I'm primarily gonna use the guitar for jazz since my Strat really doesn't cut it. Plus it will be used for slide once in a while.

So the question is:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...dard-Plain-Top-VOS-Electric-Guitar?sku=517980

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-60s-Neck-Electric-Guitar?sku=517188

2. Brock

Brock Member

VOS. But with that cost you may be able to get a used figure top if you're into them.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

If your gonna get the R8, which I would recommend over the Standard, buy used.

4. jconway747

jconway747 Member

Nah, I'd actually rather have the plain top.

Whys that? Any particular reason?

5. 777

777 Member

Everyone over on The Les Paul Forum digs the Historics. I got an R7 & love it. Whatever you decide upon, absolutely call these guys www.ccitymusic.com You'll save a bunch of money & the owner, Saul, is a wicked nice guy to deal with.

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

If you played a 60s neck Standard and really liked the way it felt then you probably would want to play a '58 VOS before making your decision. The '58 VOS is apt to be heavier due to it's solid (not chambered) body. It will also have a thicker, more rounded neck than the Standard.

The Standard is an excellent guitar but for some there is no substitute for Historics.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

If it were any consideration,I would probably spend some time over at the Les Paul Forum.If you are looking to get the biggest bang for the buck ratio,I would spend some time there-there are a lot of Les Paul guitars being made-make sure you get 'some'.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Get the Historic. They're built a bit differently (long neck tenon, non-chambered) and will provide better resale value should you decide to part with it. I believe they also come with slightly different pickups than the Standard. Well worth the slight price difference IMO. Still, nothin' wrong with a good Standard though.

9. Macs69

Macs69 Member

If you like the 60's neck Standard, check out the Guitar Center R0/G0. Can find these for $2899.00. Bought mine last week, and it's off the hook. Got it right out of the box, so it was virgin without any handling issues. Have some nice LP Standards, but it's much better. Now I'm hooked on the stinking high $$$ Historics.

10. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

If ya have the cash go with the 58'. The 58 has a fat neck, non chambered body, long neck tenon and feels great. All the 58's that I have played just ring when not plugged in(and when plugged in). The standards I have played don't match the 58's. Good luck with you tone quest!

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Still haven't played one with a fat neck yet....ugh....:horse

12. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Wha!!!!???? My last one was a boat!

13. morlll

morlll Member

58 have really fat necks.

Not just a little bigger WAY bigger. At least the couple that I've played.

14. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

'57 or '58 historic. They sound better, are lighter in weight, and hold their value better than the regular Pauls. Not all 58's have boat sized necks...they're all a bit different. Peace, Jon.

15. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Definately go with the VOS ! Built without the weight relief, has long neck tenon, and lighter mahogany. I like the neck on the 59 better, but the 58 is not too bad depending on how the neck is shaped. They are all hand shaped so they vary some, but all in all the VOS if you can swing the price difference.
    But as for the Strat they are great for Jazz as well as slide. Are they not? So buy the Gibby if you want it, that will put another tone at your disposal, but don't tell me that a Strat wont cut it for Jazz. ;^)
    Best Regards!

16. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

I have both an R8 plaintop and have had many Standards. There really is a difference. If you go down to GC and just pick up one of the R8's that have not been properly set up you won't be able to really appreciate the difference. It is vast in my opinion. Well worth the $ if you can swing it. Got mine at the Dallas show last year for $2300 out the door new. There are deals around. I also used to not think that there was any difference between Fenders standard production and their Custom Shop. Boy,was I wrong.

17. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

None that I've played. My R8 neck is small imo....

18. jconway747

jconway747 Member

Well for slide and jazz I just prefer humbuckers, so they just won't cut it for me. ;)

19. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'd go for the '58 without hesitation. Historic Les Pauls are fantastic and well worth the extra cash.