I want a modeler that doesn’t require tweaking to sound good.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Carvincat30, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Carvincat30

Carvincat30 Supporting Member

I want a modeler or profiler that I can dial in as fast as an Amp. Not endless options. Just GREAT faithful sounding models that can be dialed in in minutes just like the real amp. Seriously. It’s taken me several weeks of hours to dial in my patches on the Helix and I’m tired of it.

I don’t mind the options to be there if I want to tweak but in general it should be able to be fired up with all controls at noon and sound good. Anyone else feel this way and have you found the magical Digital Device?

2. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

3. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Yup. Buy an Iridium and play guitar.

Gasp100, ford, sugarlou and 4 others like this.
  4. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

What are you monitoring with? Helix into a cab...requires zero tweaking beyond tone stack for me. Helix into a full range monitor is a whole other story.

5. burton56

burton56 Member

Another vote for Iridium.
    Although if you also want effects, the new Line 6 Pod Go looks good.

6. AuntieDiluvian

AuntieDiluvian Member

Kemper. Pick a good profile of your desired amp from MBritt or TopJimi and knock yourself out.

plextasy, Rufus, SteveO and 18 others like this.
  7. Sixstringedmatt

Sixstringedmatt Member

I switched to the Kemper for this reason. Some folks will say it takes just as long to find the right profiles as it does to tweak a modeler. That wasn’t my situation and it’s not for many people.

Worth checking out if you can.

SteveO, Gldtp07, Tomi JR and 8 others like this.
  8. randombastage

randombastage Supporting Member

Yep, Kemper. You spend a little bit of time picking the good ones out but then you just turn it on and play. Just because you could pick a hundred good ones spending lots of time doesn't mean you have to right away. Pick a couple and maybe make it every two weeks you pick another one or two to add to the inventory...

Gldtp07, Tomi JR, otter5555 and 4 others like this.
  9. SB71

SB71 Member

I was about to make a similar thread. I bought a Helix LT two and a half years ago and I don't even switch it on as I don't want to tweak or make patches. I don't have the time for that and I'm not that interested in tweaking. So when I do switch it on, there are the stock presets and I don't really think that many of them are ones that I like. As I wrote in another thread my marshall dsl15c has no effects loops so it's helix before amp.

Is there one preset bunch that would see me have all the good sounds this thing can make?

Not intentionally trying to derail, just adding my 2 cents.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  10. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Strymon Iridium

ford, dmutter and batsbrew like this.
  11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Axe III really doesn’t if you don’t want to. Pick an amp. Pick an appropriate cab. Dial B/M/T, MV, Gain like on a real amp and go. Will sound great.

12. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

If you’ve done it with the Helix, aren’t you ‘finished?’
    From there, if your ‘rooms’ change, wouldn’t you then only require the same ‘micro tweaks’ you would need with any other device, including real amps?

jaded1592 likes this.
  13. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

What are you listening to it thru?.

Does it sound good if you take your existing amp, mic it in another room then play it thru those monitors?

That'll be a good starting point for figuring out if your monitors are a part of the problem. Rarely does a mic'd up guitar amp sound good to me. I still like hearing a guitar speaker cab "in the room".

14. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Supporting Member

I guess I have a different impression of what good sound is. I can get a great sound to my ears out of a GT-1000 in about 5 minutes. Likewise a THR100HD or BIAS Amp 2.

roachone and SteveO like this.
  15. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

pod go maybe? 450.00 or get an old tonelab se

Madmax25 and 3 Mile Stone like this.
  16. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I don't like tweaking... I highly recommend buying profiles or presets ... the M Britt saved me time when I owned a Kemper and the Helix

Austin Buddy's presets save me time with my Axe III, they are awesome... all I need to do is adjust a very little

If you don't find the Helix pretty easy you really only have a couple choices... Iridium sounds like your soulmate

tonegangster likes this.
  17. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

I was this way with the hd500 and helix i had. I just searched customtone and tried certain patches and downloaded and used the ones i liked. I hardley ever tweaked as it leads me astray

18. Cactusprick

Cactusprick Member

Yeah this is utter bull#$%^, it literally takes only few minutes if you only look into obvious (popular) ones including both commercial and rig exchange. There are boatload of them available for free too, but you don't need to load up every profiles available to find the good ones. Also you will get really quicker to find the tones once you know the way around.

People only complain because they think they need to look into every individual profiles on the Rig Exchange. That is not necessary and it's a crazy idea (but sometimes fun)

Also I find the individual profiles are getting better lately as people got better with the profiling process.

19. Ratterbass

Ratterbass Member

I always wonder why people find it perfectly okay to dial the knobs on an analog amp but when having to turn the virtual knobs in a modeller it's considered tweaking...

You can't expect an amp you just bought to sound great with the setting it has when you take it out of it's package...

It's the same with virtual amps. You will have to make adjustments on any kind of gear. Even it's just the virtual tonestack on a virtual amp.

20. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I have to say that I was really pleased with the factory presets on the POD Go. I think they did a good job of making them more user-friendly out of the gate. I was scrolling through them, and they’re all closely level matched, and there were very few where I was like, what in the h*ll is this?”. They also all have high and low cuts included in the cab blocks out of the gate.